Death highway, Umphang

Tanarthur

Bikes
Current ride. Kawasaki Versys 650 2012
Hi guys, been missing for quite while..

Currently planning a trip up to Thailand from Singapore. Need some input. I am planning to travel to Umphang via R1090 from Mae Sot. Below is the plan. Please advice if it is feasible.

Day 1
Mae Sot
-Tararak waterfall
-Phacharden Waterfall
- Thi Lor Is Waterfall
Baan Kru Sun
Day 2
- Pa Wai waterfall
Tak.

During day 1, I planned to be able to see those places before I reached Baan Kru Sun for a night. And hopefully able to reached Baan Kru Sun before sunset. Is it possible?

Day 2 same thing. Can reached Tak before sun set?

Thank you very much!!!

Tanarthur good to have you back, To answer to your questions, Mae Sot to Bann Kru Sum is around 200km closer to Umphang the road gets pretty broken but you should have no trouble getting there before sunset and visit the waterfalls you mention.

Umphang to Tak you have a couple of options, Route 12 is under heavy construction at the moment at you could face some delays but the road is in a bad state, you could head further north to pick up the beautiful 1175 to Tak this would make your journey 300 km if you choose to take the route 12 option is 350 km or so. Depending on your bike i would take the 1175 its a fantastic road.

Isnt a trip with a guide and transport required to get acsess to Thi Lor Su? I mean so you have to arrange that bit also? It could interfer with doing all the other stuff in a day maybe?

Tanarthur good to have you back, To answer to your questions, Mae Sot to Bann Kru Sum is around 200km closer to Umphang the road gets pretty broken but you should have no trouble getting there before sunset and visit the waterfalls you mention.

Umphang to Tak you have a couple of options, Route 12 is under heavy construction at the moment at you could face some delays but the road is in a bad state, you could head further north to pick up the beautiful 1175 to Tak this would make your journey 300 km if you choose to take the route 12 option is 350 km or so. Depending on your bike i would take the 1175 its a fantastic road.

Thanka for the welcome. Haven't been adventurous these few years to travel up northern Thailand... Usually are short trips to southern Thailand. Thanks for the input. Currently trip is still planning. Work is unstable this year. And if I get the opportunity to get off from it for 2 weeks, I will be making this trip. So I am getting all the information ready. Currently I am riding a Kawasaki Versys 650. Will be travelling with only a top case and a back strap to the pillion seat. No panniers.

On Google maps, R1175 I see lots of turns... And that gave me headache... Hahahah.

Isnt a trip with a guide and transport required to get acsess to Thi Lor Su? I mean so you have to arrange that bit also? It could interfer with doing all the other stuff in a day maybe?

I am not sure... will do some more research. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom