Day trip to Mersing via the East Coast

cuban8

Bikes
KTM 990 Adventure, KTM 690 Enduro
After only just returning from a riding trip in North Thailand 3 weeks ago, we felt that a day trip would be required to top up the riding needs basket. Alvine aka Radio (dont ask why) who rides a WR250X and I decided to take a day trip to Mersing. Its hard to get everyone around with bikes altogether to go riding as schedules do not permit, hence only 2 of us went. Having left my 990 Adventure in Chiang Mai for the last one year, I had no bike to ride, fortunately a very kind friend lent me his KTM990SMR. Very nice bike to say the least, but it could do with an improved range over the current 140km to reserve and a windscreen.

Crossing the causeway from Singapore into Johor was a breeze at 7am because all the traffic seems to be in the opposite direction inbound to Singapore. The weather was looking fine so we took the coastal route from Desaru to Mersing passing Sedili, not before an obligatory stop for breakfast at the famous Kota Tinggi Bak Kut Teh. Bak Kut Teh is pork ribs cooked overnight over a slow heat in a herbal broth that results in very tender meat, often to be had with steamed rice and You Cha Kway (fried dough sticks). A slight back track to join route 95, 99 and 90 took us to Desaru which a seasonal coastal resort town. It was route J173 that took us past idyllic fishing villages with rivers opening up directly into the South China Sea, we rejoined Federal Highway 3 about 45km south of Mersing where the roads were better and slightly twistie.

Looks like a new road is being built direct from the coastal town of Pengarang to Desaru.
Mersing rep jul2012 (3).JPG

Famous Bak Kut Teh in Kota Tinggi
N01 49'39.8" E103 57'30.5"
bkt1.jpg

Desaru's coastline
Mersing rep jul2012 (4).JPG

A little fishing town called Sedili along route J173.
Bridge crosses the Sedili Kechil River.
Mersing rep jul2012 (5).JPG

Fisherman on Sedili river
Mersing rep jul2012 (6).JPG

Lots to explore off the main J173
Mersing rep jul2012 (8).JPGMersing rep jul2012 (9).JPG

Mersing, gateway to the resort island of Tioman and also a base to off shore fishing.
Mersing rep jul2012 (10).JPG

Fishermen done for the day.
Mersing rep jul2012 (11).JPG

Mersing is famous for its fresh and reasonalbly priced seafood. Sedap! (Aroy mak in Malay)
mersing prawn.jpgmersing squid.jpg

Caught in a torrential shower on the way back to Johor
Mersing rep jul2012 (14).JPG

Visibility deteriorated so we took shelter in an abandoned vendors shed
Mersing rep jul2012 (20).JPG

Federal Route 3 took us back to Johor. This road was one of the earliest routes built in Malaysia (previously known as Malaya) dating back to the 1920s. Predominantly used by the British to link their possesions in Malaya. Bunkers suggest that this route used to be heavily guarded.
During WWII this was also the route used by the Japanese Imperial Forces on the attack of Singapore.
There are trails used by 4x4 and dirt bike enthusiasts around this area waiting to be explored.
Mersing rep jul2012 (17).JPG

Blocked up to prevent public access
Mersing rep jul2012 (22).JPG

Peek of the what the inside of the bunker looked like.
Mersing rep jul2012 (15).JPGMersing rep jul2012 (16).JPG

Singapore to Mersing via the coastal road overview. 480km door to door.
Mersing 31jul2012.jpg

Looks like some great riding down there & some dry roads most of the time. Interested in what you thought of the 990 SMR as i'm thinking of putting motard rims on my 990 ADV? Thanks for taking the time Glenn, all new to most of us, really interesting.

Famous Bak Kut Teh in Kota Tinggi
N01 49'39.8" E103 57'30.5"

That looks worth a try on my next visit

Good one guys. We rode around the same route more or less, but took a detour through Kg Bekok to check out the short cut that bypasses Kluang.

A video of the short cut.

20120428EATRideBekok..avi - YouTube

Nice roads in the vid. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like some great riding down there & some dry roads most of the time. Interested in what you thought of the 990 SMR as i'm thinking of putting motard rims on my 990 ADV? Thanks for taking the time Glenn, all new to most of us, really interesting.

The SMR felt smoother because of the road tyres and has a sportier riding posture. The bike feels less sluggish when changing directions in the twisties unlike the Adv which will benefit from motard wheels especially on North Thailand roads.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Malaysia Ride Reports 10