Current status of the Laos border for trucks

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
Phil mentioned Laos borders are in flux possibly closed except for bridges ??

Most interested in Nan (Huey Khon) or one I havent yet used Na kra seang (Loei).. Are these closed ?? Operational in one direction ?? Fully open ??

Also, and I am 99% they are not open, any developments on the Uttaradit locals crossing ?? Or the Phayao Phu Sang one ?? They were in the process of upgrading these last time I read up.. I will be needing a visa on arrival for Laos though so dont think its that level yet.. News last year said 'next year'.. Prone to slippages usually.

Just applied for a fresh ITP on the truck, nothing else of note or needed ?? Nothing odd of late (have a IDL somewhere too) ??

The Crossings in Xayaboury province (Nan (Huey Khon), Nakarasaeng (Loei) and Phu Doo (Uttaradit) are closed for motorbikes and bicycles (both for getting in and out of Laos) but cars apparently can cross there. Please note that the Phu Doo to Paklay crossing does not have visa on arrival on the Lao side.

The Phayao/Phu Sang crossing is a local crossing only - NOT internationAL so you can not cross there.

All other Thai/Lao crossings are OK both for bikes and cars but motorbikes sometimes are not allowed to cross at the bridges or can cross only in convoy with a car from Immigration/Customs (Chiangkhomg/Houayxay)

You only need an ITP and need to fill in a TM2 and TM 3 (TM 4 sometimes not needed) but at some crossings the immigration people prepare these forms for you for a fee.

OK thats superb.. Thanks a lot.. Just what I needed to hear.. I have to meet someone on a schedule and so unexpected rerouting would be less ok than on a free tour. Also interesting that Phu Doo is actually open for westerners, I thought that was still a locals only.. I may exit that route for a test.

While I am at it.. Any idea what the current state of the 4 south from Xayaburi to the Nakarasaeng crossing is like lately ?? Or the 4A back towards Huey Khon ??

Rd 4 from Xayaboury to Nam Hueang to Nakrasaeng/Tha Li (Loei) is OK - here and there some potholes but otherwise no problems - Last time I road there was on 3 October when I entered Laos at Nakrasaeng/Tha Li (Loei) there on my way to Luang Prabang

Rd 4A Hueay Khon to Hongsa is still excellent but the part from Hongsa south to Xayaboury is badly potholed at places

Rd 4B Hongsa to Luang Prabang - stay away from it as it is being upgraded from unpaved to unpaved. A few weeks ago it took my friend some 8 hours on a motorbike from Hongsa to Luang Prabang and the road was closed at several places to let the road builders do their work

Superb detail.. I owe you a beer next time I see ya.. Thats made it really clear..

Back
Top Bottom