Crossing from Thailand to Laos nearest to Savannakhet

BigEnso

Bikes
2023 Honda Wave 125i
Hi all

Rather than dealing with the hot mess that is Chiang Mai Immigration, I am contemplating riding over to Laos in January to get a new visa at Savannakhet. Does anyone have any recent experience crossing near Savannakhet? I know you can cross up above Vientiane but I would prefer something closer to Savannakhet if possible. What documentation is required to take a Thai licensed bike in my name into Laos? I would be a solo rider.

Thanks

David

You cannot cross at Savannakhet unless you put your bike in a pickup, although parking is available and local transport will make the crossing.

Paperwork wise copy of your green book reg page and tax paid page at the rear copies of the picture page of your passport (3 copies of each) a passport photo and your good to go. Take the original green book with you if you can, also some crossings required an English translation of your green book which can be obtained at your local transport office.

You cannot cross at Savannakhet unless you put your bike in a pickup, although parking is available and local transport will make the crossing.

Paperwork wise copy of your green book reg page and tax paid page at the rear copies of the picture page of your passport (3 copies of each) a passport photo and your good to go. Take the original green book with you if you can, also some crossings required an English translation of your green book which can be obtained at your local transport office.
Thanks. I'll probably enter Laos a bit further north and then just ride down to Savannakhet.

A bit further north is a long long way, to Vientiane then drive south. I usually just get the bus over stay one night bus back and ride my bike in Thailand. Unless you are going for a longer holiday it's not worth taking bike to Savannakhet. I do like riding in Laos though .

Even so, if the OP can manage to find a pickup to transport his bike in order to bring it across the bridge, there's no harm in trying to enter Laos that way. Incidentally, I spotted two Thai registered motorcycles in Savannakhet earlier this year. One of which was a scooter parked at the Thai consulate and owned by someone applying for a visa there. So it definitely seems to be possible to cross and my guess, the aforementioned person did exactly this. Meanwhile the second bike, was a big bike that may have been on a cross-country tour.

Back
Top Bottom