CRF250L PERFORMANCE PARTS

Algarve Nick

Bikes
Suzuki B-King & Buell Ulysses
What's available in Thailand? I've seen FMF exhausts and Megabomb headers on Youtube videos. Does anyone fit these (or something similar) in Thailand?

TNT in Fang had a new stock of these arrive last month. Only 10, so limited. 25,000THB complete.

Nick, I'm taking my CRF up on the train in a few weeks (14/06) and will have the full FMF exhaust, an EJK and tail tidy fitted at TNT. I'll do a little riding in the area and then return the following weekend.

BTW they have both the Q4 and the Powercore 4, I've bought the former, which is slightly more expensive. I've bought mail order from them before and the guy seems helpful although I don't know how good his English is.

I'll let you know how I get on once I'm done up there.

Fang, very convenient. I am moving from Portugal to Chiang Rai, and although I'd really like a Ducati Scrambler (as I have banged on about on the Ducati bit of this forum), I am going to wait to see if they are reliable. I am not convinced that Ducati will import good quality control like the Japanese have done. Thus I may well start with a CRF250L. I am sure if the guy in Fang sells all the bits, he'll get some more in. I've seen on Youtube how much difference they make. It's a pity they don't do the 305 conversion kit.

Do you like your CRF, Craig?

Yes Nick. It's a great little bike and makes financial sense here in Thailand. I've found it very reliable and fun and easy to ride.

It doesn't do any one thing particularly well but is versatile enough to allow me to ride through Bangkok traffic and multi-lane highways before entering jungle single tracks.

9699caad82deec72464cf5ce07a8d0b4_zps2ovfqied.jpg

That looks very nice. Have the black bits been resprayed, Craig? The CRF looks so much better than the Kawasaki KLX.

Just spotted the Airhawk. I've got one from my KTM 950 Adventure days. I could never get on with it (the pad, not the bike!), but I'll give it another crack. How do you find it?

Another question: the rack. It's a standard accessory in Thailand, isn't it? Is it sturdy enough to take a fullish 30L dry bag? That and a Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag, and I would imagine that's all you need to tour Thailand.

The rack is available locally in Chiang Rai, so is the sump guard. The wolfman enduro bag fits perfectly, as for seat covers i use the mesh cool seats, look a bit funky but keeps your bum cool.

No resprays, just pay 100฿ to have the bike cleaned occasionally.

I like the Airhawk. The knack is to have as little air as possible in the bladder.

Racks can be picked up in many different shops and off the net. TNT have two different types I believe. Sturdy for 30L. The most I've had on the back of mine is 70L of Kriega luggage. For regular weekend trips I use just a 30L Kriega, which as you say is enough for short trips here.

That looks very nice. Have the black bits been resprayed, Craig? The CRF looks so much better than the Kawasaki KLX.

Just spotted the Airhawk. I've got one from my KTM 950 Adventure days. I could never get on with it (the pad, not the bike!), but I'll give it another crack. How do you find it?

Another question: the rack. It's a standard accessory in Thailand, isn't it? Is it sturdy enough to take a fullish 30L dry bag? That and a Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag, and I would imagine that's all you need to tour Thailand.

Thanks a lot to both of you.

Craig, I didn't realise they did a black and white one. Not too keen on the red and black one that's the standard colour now.

I prefer the standard bike to the Rally concept bike I've just looked at. The black wheels look very fetching on the black/red CRF. Shame they don't put them on the white bike.

Nick, I'm taking my CRF up on the train in a few weeks (14/06) and will have the full FMF exhaust, an EJK and tail tidy fitted at TNT. I'll do a little riding in the area and then return the following weekend.

BTW they have both the Q4 and the Powercore 4, I've bought the former, which is slightly more expensive. I've bought mail order from them before and the guy seems helpful although I don't know how good his English is.

I'll let you know how I get on once I'm done up there.

Craig, have you had the FMF exhaust and Megabomb downpipes fitted yet? If so, what's your verdict?

Craig, have you had the FMF exhaust and Megabomb downpipes fitted yet? If so, what's your verdict?

Yes Nick.

image.jpg

The guy at TNT was a pleasure to deal with and I've noticed a big difference in power and performance over stock. Coupled with a Hurricane air filter, extra fuel from the EJK and a larger rear sprocket the bike is more fun to ride and inspires greater confidence to tackle rugged off-road terrain. The downside is greater fuel consumption and a buzzy 6th gear on the road.

You wouldn't have got that buzziness if you hadn't altered the gearing. I wonder what the performance hike would have been like with the standard gearing, Craig. Did you take the original pipes back to Bangkok? I was wondering whether you need the bike stock to get it through the annual test (MOT).

You wouldn't have got that buzziness if you hadn't altered the gearing. I wonder what the performance hike would have been like with the standard gearing, Craig. Did you take the original pipes back to Bangkok? I was wondering whether you need the bike stock to get it through the annual test (MOT).

Stock gearing is very high and most riders will change to a front 13T for a more useable first gear. The shop offered to post the stock parts back to BKK for me but as I live in my small condo I don't have the space to keep spare parts!

Annual MOT's begin after 5 years and in my experience only consist of a VIN check, no mechanical parts :excuseme:

Stock gearing is very high and most riders will change to a front 13T for a more useable first gear. The shop offered to post the stock parts back to BKK for me but as I live in my small condo I don't have the space to keep spare parts!

Annual MOT's begin after 5 years and in my experience only consist of a VIN check, no mechanical parts :excuseme:

Your right the check is 5 yearly but in Chiang Rai it's a bit more comprehensive, they video the bike while it's being checked and also put a decibel meter to check the exhaust note, that was six months ago i can only imagine things have become stricter with regulations changing about boy racers and their loud pipes.

pls note> the cause of greater fuel consumption is the EJK and gear/sprockets change,not the muffler -megabomb etc .
that 'buzzy ' 6th is them 100% off rd tyres u swapped mate... :giving: (which also add on fuel consumption)

Yes Nick.

View attachment 38389

The guy at TNT was a pleasure to deal with and I've noticed a big difference in power and performance over stock. Coupled with a Hurricane air filter, extra fuel from the EJK and a larger rear sprocket the bike is more fun to ride and inspires greater confidence to tackle rugged off-road terrain. The downside is greater fuel consumption and a buzzy 6th gear on the road.

Yes, I read that the EJK at factory settings increases fuel consumption of around 20%. I was on stock gearing for most of last year but after a few steep trails last month I made the change, needed a new chain too. And you're right, the tyres do add to the buzziness along with the lower gearing.

Everything is a compromise :D

image.jpg

So the MOT starts after 5 years. I take it it's annually from then on. It would be a hassle if the FNF pipe set-up made the bike too noisy to get through the Chiang Rai test. I'm definitely getting one of these bikes when I move to Chiang Rai next Summer. In the meantime, I'm visiting in October. Maybe I should rent a CRF for the day.

The FNF pipe/Megabomb set-up looks very good as well as being more efficient than stock. I like the tail tidy and bash plate. The rack looks good, too. One of those and a Wolfman Enduro tank bag, and I'll be right for touring.

Here listed are the tried and true EJK settings, courtesy of my friends on ThumperTalk
I've done so much to my bike and I think it performs better than the 305 mods

If any questions please ask

I assume you are currently using these settings 1.5, 2.5, 4.5, 5, 4, 4.5
You could try 1.5 2. 4. 5. 4. 4.5

After that I would try 1.5 2. 4. 5. 5.5 5.5

you will be surprised at the fuel economy and response

Beware of a large bore header system. I had one fitted and it killed most of the torque for an increase at the top end and sounded horrible. I then had the std silencer 'gutted' and refitted the original header - result, more torque than std, feels like a 300, and still pulls hard at the top end. Plus sounds like a real bike, no embarrassment or problems with plod.
Doesn't seem to be any need for a fuel controller.

Back
Top Bottom