Riders:

Honda Honkey,
342974434_rCyvT-L.jpg

BignTall
330691780_dxxyR-L.jpg

This was a ride we did in 2008

Bikes: Lardy Honda XR 650, Lithe KTM 525EXC
Route: CNX- Fang- Chiang Rai – Phayao – Chiang Mai

Well after a few days of slothful retirement like living around Chiang Mai the road was singing to us like a cocktail singer in a jazz club to come join it. However the dirt was whispering in our ear like some floozy in a Karaoke joint, with a skirt that barely covered the bum, breasts heaving to burst out of a skimpy brassiere, and dragging her nails into the grey area where your thigh becomes your crotch… ……well you get the idea, we went with the dirt instead of bitumen. Yaaaay.

Day one – Chiang Mai to Fang

The day began at breakfast at a place where a lot of good (and not so good) ideas and rides originate, breakfast at Ians X-centre with the usual group of friendly faces to serve us brekkie.

Hit the road to get off the road northeast of the Prem center and took truck dirt roads to our first stop, the thriving metropolis of Sop Gai, northwest of Mae Taeng (home of another balcony performing thriller but that’s a story for another board).

Sop Gai's welcoming comittee about to initiate the XR with a much deserved golden shower.
330693782_ynBrJ-L.jpg

Once we reached Sop Gai it we filled up the tanks with fuel, keep your wits about you at the fuel pump as the gent operating it was learning off his Malaysian Fuel suppliers how to raise fuel prices between bikes and his math was as dodgy as Lukes late night acquaintances. Next stop was to explore some tracks to try and meander our way to Muang Khong. Lukes posted about some fun trails we did on another ride leading out of Muang Khong is detailed in another thread, some great riding around here.

We left Sop Gai on a truck road that we thought would parallel the river; however it headed northeast away from the river into the jungle. Some fun tracks through this section with tires spinning out of all the corners and the day beginning to get into the groove.

Ten KM’s later we hit a bridge that crosses over the Mae Taeng river. We enquired about how to get to Muang Khong and once again we were told we missed. Yep throughout life I’ve been reminded I missed the plot, missed the hole, and now missed the turn.

The villager at the river stated the road did not go through to anywhere out the backside of the village.
330693684_HMjSX-L.jpg

We did not confirm it so that means we’ll need another exploratory trip to this village to see for ourselves. We were told go back the way we came a KM and make a left and take the trail into Muang Khong.

Dutiful gents we are we followed the kind mans words, who by the way spoke perfect English in this dinky hill tribe village. Sadly his command of our language helped us naught in gaining command of his jungle. Yep we got lost and dead ended into a river with no clear way to continue. The good side of this is it was wonderful singletrack to explore.
330694928_xbspn-L.jpg

Sort of like courting a dysfunctional girl, not what you’re really looking for but a hell of great time for the time being. Nice spot to get lost so we soaked it up pretending we were scouring the jungle for trails when we were just trying to figure out which way North was at this point.
330695670_nJNBg-L.jpg

We backtracked again, hmmm beginning to see a lot of that already and the ride has just begun. This is why you need a gas tank that carries fuel instead of hints of fuel like the KTM. Exploring off road often requires numerous attempts up various trails to get to your destination. A limited fuel supply does not fill you with confidence when flipping coins about which trail to explore and not having any idea where it does and does not go.
330695614_NMXDn-L.jpg

The left we needed was more than two Kilometers from the river (not one) and once again turned into some nice singletrack.
330694567_em6iK-L.jpg

If you hit this bridge you’re on the right track.
330696365_jF9ip-L.jpg

Just pass this bridge is a fork in the trail.
330696169_nNJo5-L.jpg

It’s at this fork I waited for the Honda Barge to make its presence known. I heard the burst of exhaust and knew Luke was gunning the phat pig up the trail, then like a fat girl post climax the XR let out a very uninspiring groan and passed out. Next was Luke’s comforting statement being whispered into the XR’s ear “oh for f___ks sake”, and I knew we would have a bit of quiet time for Luke and I to sort out the worlds problems. Seems the XR was learning the fine art of European whinging from the precious KTM. The XR in its post coital slump.
330696954_QDA6A-L.jpg

The bikes are like Thai girls so when they threw a tantrum we just did as all good gents do….we ignored ‘em. Sure enough a few minutes for them to realize “hey, it could be worse, I could be picking rice in Isaan and living on a dirt floor” bought the bikes to reality just like it does the GF’s and all was bright and cheery again with the XR regaining its composure. Like the GF’s we never found out or could understand why the XR went into a tizzy. Onward through the fog.
330694693_bxRWL-L.jpg

Next stop was Muang Khong for some drinks for the boys and a chance for the darker skinned Isaan Honda to attempt to chat enviously with the white skinned KTM about her lovely set of upside down forks.

Luke applying the magic "abra kadabra" trick, the key to the XR's trademark reliability.
330696922_fbWaP-L.jpg

We were trying to decide which way to take to Wieng Heng. There is a lovely piece of singletrack that goes but it involves three river crossings that you cannot ride through most times even in the dry season. Now being rainy season and we thought we might need a snorkel and flippers to get the bikes across so instead played the rational card and would avoid the river and take a truck dirt road to Huai Nam Dang then a right up and through doi Chang on into Wieng heng.
323453709_AgtZT-L.jpg

In contrast to the fun singletrack the road from Huai Nam Dang to Wieng Heng is pretty sedate and not that exciting. It does however have a few nice spots for pictures.
323454772_YQGop-L.jpg

Having ridden this road a few weeks earlier pics were not paused for. The most excitement we had was trying to scour gas for the KTM. Just an FYI, gas in Doi Chang is pricey and the slimey guy sells it in two liter Coke bottles that are short filled. When Luke pointed this fact out to the gent by holding up a two liter new bottle of Coke next to his “two” liters of gas the difference was quite visible. This being Thailand the gent ignored the logic and refused to sell two honest liters of fuel. Bastard must have known about the needy KTM. Luke could snub his nose with his proper tank on the XR but the ever needy KTM had me bend over and get screwed without even a glass of wine.

Rocked into Wieng Heng for some vittles and tried to figure a way to get the most dirt between here and Fang. We ended up choosing the dirt road that connects Wieng heng and the 1322 with the 1178 and ArunaThai. This is about 16KM of fast dirt fireroad with loads of drifting and tire spinning to be had. We came out to where the road turns to pavement and funnily enough I felt my motard tires on this dirt road worked as good as the knobbies. From this point on Luke and I were looking for a way to jump back in the dirt and find a way to cut off a large portion of pavement and come out lower down on the 1178 near a village called Na Wai.
330697522_mKhuz-L.jpg

This is where off road exploring can become tiresome. Chasing down any road you see only to have it dead end and forced to backtrack, time after time causes one to eat through quite a bit of patience. Not to mention the gas and daylight that is wasted. We queried every villager we came across about ways to get from the northern edge of the 1178 near the border down to lower on the 1178 or even back on the 1322 but to no avail. Nobody said it was possible, we got more negative feedback than what Luke and I even get at the hi-so Thai dance clubs. If anybody has suggestions how to join up these roads we’re all ears.

Sadly the exploring around and coming up short used up too much daylight and forced us to take pavement almost all the way to Arunathai.
330698033_uZJjm-L.jpg

If you look at the map you can see where the 1178 comes southeast from the border and hooks up with the 1340 which has you do a U-turn and head back north into Aruathai. We were able to cutoff about 10kms of pavement by just cutting straight across the dirt in this section. The ride was a bit tricky this time for routefinding as we were in farming land and kept coming across dead ends but eventually got into town where we got some drinks and gas. I began fantasizing about tonight's late night company a bit early.
330699221_6Qiv7-L.jpg

Whilst Luke wrenches on the XR. For those that have seen Robert Redfords movie the "Horse Whisperer" about a horse trainer that has insight into a troubled horses mind, Luke does his best Robert Redford impression on the XR. Sadly much like his insight into the Thai female mind Lukes draws a daunting blank.
330699834_VWPXC-L.jpg

Then a look at the watch confirmed it would be pavement into Fang for an attempt at corrupting the locals.
330699790_owm5f-L.jpg

330700240_EMpfc-L.jpg

There is a very nice right hand corner on the way into Fang and the 107 that has a nice overlook. Luke and I stop hear often to plan the next ride we'll do, debate bike characteristic and other such worldly topics.
330700509_7RX8q-L.jpg

The evening had us engage in the usual time wasting game of cavorting with pretty, white skinned girls in the hopes of lurid times. Why do we bother??? Then the evening changes for the better, we acknowledge a few brain cells and let the libido dictate, and do what every man does near closing time. Grab the ugly ones.

And so ends the first day of the trip. Highlight being the singletrack from Sop Gai to Muang Khong.

Awoke the next morning in the Phu Manee Hotel (decent clean place for 350 a night)to find two other degenerate riders from the GT-rider clan occupying the same hotel. Bulldust Bob and his friend…. uh oh I think it was Mark, were on an overnight trip from Chiang Mai. They were hanging out at the Ritzy for dinner and drinks and Luke and I were elsewhere so missed hooking up with them. Made the mistake of ordering the Farang breakfast instead of rice soup and got what I deserved….a poor farang breakfast.

After breakfast Luke and I loaded up and pointed the bikes east of the 107. Directly east of Fang the paved roads turn into dirt and the fun begins to unroll. Our first destination is Wawi about 20 km’s south of the Myanmar border on the 3037 highway. Wawi sits a lot higher in elevation than Fang so the trail was on an incline almost the whole way especially once we hit the foothills. The downside to an uphill trail is the water runoff ruts almost the whole way for you to play the game of “keep your wheels out of the ruts” for 20 km’s.

330701353_JHscT-L.jpg

Ironic to have a ten foot wide trail that you’re forced to have to stay on a bit of trail 6 inches most of the way. I can imagine this trail would be a right pain in the **** if it was wet with uphill ruts the whole way. Luckily it was steaming hot today so no fears.

Scenery was at least decent.
330701371_p9hB3-L.jpg

Luke and I waddled into Wawi in the heat and were yearning for some air conditioning to cool our heels over some lunch. We were both hoping it was Ban Wawee (as in Wawee Coffee so we could bask in the comfort of their home branch air conditioning), sadly it was Wawi as in “mi mie” air conditioning. Best place for vittles we determined after two laps of the village was this establishment.
330702625_fWXkd-L.jpg

Complete with stocked cooler having Diet Coke for the diabetic and chilled coconuts to pretend we were on the beach soaking up the palm tree vistas relaxing.
330703111_oQQmy-L.jpg

Not only that but the sisters running the place whipped up a mean Pad Prik Geng, decent place after all.
330703136_AsFvX-L.jpg

Bellies were full and the cute sister was married, so time to hit the trails again. There is a trail North East out of town that turns into a wonderfully scenic traverse high up in the hills and passes Doi Chompu (1363M).
330703319_TQXwt-L.jpg

Not only was the scenery fantastic but the trail was a blast, dropping, weaving, and climbing all along the hill with jumps and drops to keep the wheels in the air.
330703752_6429R-L.jpg

There’s even a super steep 1 km drop that you prey you would not have to turn around and go back up. So lets hope this trail goes through. Really fun stuff. It was sooo much fun that sadly we did not stop for photos for you boys reading, sorry. Maybe it’ll be incentive you need to come ride this trail.
Luke hanging the XR out like its a CRF250
346347981_ug5Kr-L.jpg

The trail eventually drops down to the Kok River and parallels it for another shot of pretty scenery.
330704320_6bCg8-L.jpg

We headed north to fill in some missing tracks for DavidFL on his map.
330704004_a6NVW-L.jpg

The trail paralleling the river was really entertaining on the dirt bike and ranges from tight truck road to bits of singletrack. I decided to take a picture of Luke coming steaming over a cattle guard.
330704543_yKsTM-L.jpg

Seems the fat XR was feeling her frumpy self and refused to leave the ground. Absolutely nothing to do with my delayed trigger finger on the camera.

The Cover girl KTM not having the Isaan hip disease the XR suffers from gladly lifts her skirt for the admiring gents and jealous XR.
345690636_K4r3v-L.jpg

Luke and I would take turns chasing each other up the river with heckles yelled at each other through the helmets. On one out of control downhill I could hear Luke laughing hysterically as the wheels were locked up and sliding out of control, loads of fun was had on this section. Occasionally the KTM would remind me it had a rear spring in it for 200 pound gorilla aussie motocrosser and not for a light and lithe (ok scrawny) me.
330704670_4TV4k-L.jpg

Luke was leading on one section and the wild life conservationist in him was absent on this stretch it seems. Over a jump, brake for a corner (well I braked, Luke didn’t it seems) and went screaming into the corner. Instead of finding a nice berm to lay the bike into to his surprise a horse was marking the apex of this turn for him. It was either center punch the horse or hang a right off the trail. Luke hung the right and went sailing off the turn into the bushes. I came around and started laughing my ass off seeing the horse standing their nonchalantly staring at Luke, with the XR pilot imbedded in the bushes down off the trail.
330703948_ivoyH-L.jpg

Adrenaline was coursing through Luke’s veins at the close call and both of us thankful he did not injure the horse. We were wondering how much we’d be liable for if he’d of stuffed the XR into the belly of the horse. I’ve seen a lot of animals on trails but this was my first horse.

We headed North for about 7 KM’s up the river getting the tracks for DavidFL then turned around and headed south. Once again the trail was a ball and the fun meter was pegged, so once again no pictures. The day’s heat would wilt Hades and Lukes method of combining whiskey with soda water to keep hydrated the prior evening was not bearing fruit. Poor ole Luke was about to turn into Puking Luke if we could not get him some water soon. He was battling dehydration and feeling feint and dizzy, nothing out of the ordinary, only this time it was not the end of an evening out and no pretty karaoke gal to shuttle him home. Took pity of my wilting flower of a partner ans shoved my Camelback tube in his mouth and told him to suck. Hmmmm that didn’t sound quite right, but you get the picture. Stumbled into small village down the road and we passed out in the shade nursing ourselves with water and Sponser. Got our legs back underneath us then headed to our overnight destination of Chiang Rai about 25kms away as the crow flies.
Luke feeling refreshed after the water and break and comments how light the XR feels almost as good as the CRF he owns once he's fresh.
346345737_muqGE-L.jpg

Rolled into Chiang Rai and stayed at our 2nd favorite hotel. The Sport Inn. Right across the street from the infamous Red Rose hotel and its theme rooms. The Sport Inn at 350 baht is cheap, safe, clean, and has HBO.
330705673_kb7NN-L.jpg

Strolled into town to check on the GT rider groupies and got to hear all the sordid details about the famed Transmoto Sport tours that had come in the night before us on a bender and proceeded to soil our honeys. Bastards. I’m sure Happy Feet was chuckling up his sleeve at leaving the town in ruin for our arrival. The evening fades into fuzziness and all I remember is drinking with a Thai cop outside a massage parlor and the look of horror on the face of the concierge as I strolled back to the hotel with one of Burmas finest. No doubt though Luke would make me look good as he was lubed to the gills, still out, and lord knows what would drag him home.

Day Four

Not many photos of this leg so a short summary of day four.

Woke up on the fourth after a night out in Phayao with the Transmotosport tour group. It was a rather mellow night out for some of us with some perving at Big and Balls at the lake front restaurant and the BM club providing some more sights and sounds to enjoy. It was Luke that put the most efforts into damaging the liver as I strolled home before 1:00am with Happy Feet. Back at the hotel I was awoken by strange moans and groans, having Happy Feet and Luke in adjoining rooms this is normally nothing out of the ordinary. However once moans were joined with drunken mumbling and banging about I began to think Luke may have been reading up on some of Rhodies perverted websites. I opened my hotel door and Luke in all his glory was sprawled out on the floor in the hotel corridor with his head propped up on the room door, erm, a wee bit inebriated, mumbling some dribble he learnt in his uni philosophy class, and incapable of turning his hotel door knob. Such technological innovations sometimes confuse the simpletons in life’s journeys

Luke the morning after his hallway dancing session
349588997_BSaCq-L.jpg

We loaded back up the bikes for the last leg of our ride. Today we would ride off road from Ngao (just south of Phayao) back to Chiang Mai.

A crash the day before ended up leaving the bike more bent than Lukes personality. Luke’s handlebars were pointing West when the bike was traveling North. So we broke out the micrometers and began fine tuning chassis adjustments to right the bike. In other words slammed the wheel into a concrete barrier multiple times to straighten the bars in the triple clamps.
330713464_swfEv-L.jpg

We then trudged down the highway towards Ngao.
330713443_SBvaC-L.jpg

10 KM’s before the town of Ngao, after a village named Huai Un, we turned west on some asphalt. We were going to try an alternative beginning to the track. After 6KM’s of winding new asphalt the road turned into dirt and the fun began. We stopped in a small village to refuel,
330713854_8JwhG-L.jpg

and laugh with the locals.
330714389_SSNLj-L.jpg

Once again friendly villagers always add to the experience one enjoys when getting off the beaten path.
330714051_MWWBK-L.jpg

The trail was easy truck dirt roads nestled in hills of about 1000 meters. The trails were scenic and the ridings easy as there were no ruts of any kind.
330714787_xQWFt-L.jpg

The most techinical it got was having to duck for the tree.
330716151_rcfcp-L.jpg

and asking directions from the locals
330715937_6GJsj-L.jpg

Prior to the ride Luke and I thought this section of trail would be dry, rocky and dusty amongst chaparral shrubbery. Turns out we were wrong (what else is new), the first 2/3 of the trail were winding through the scenic hills almost 1000 meters high, cool and pleasant.
330716473_KrCUU-L.jpg

Even stopped by a little stream for a breather.
330718361_sCCmQ-L.jpg

The last 1/3 is high speed graded road through new teak plantations. An FYI. The west end of this track is really high speed Baja type trails with the bike pegged in 5th and 6th gear, back end drifting out of the corners, tires sliding. Fun stuff. However be mindful of other traffic on the west end of this track as you will share the trail with trucks getting to various villages and it won’t be the highlight of your ride getting imbedded into a truck grill as you’re hanging it sideways out of a corner pretending you’re a speedway rider.

We selfishly did not stop during this section since we enjoyed it too much for pics. The trail petered out into the the villiage of Nong Nao on the 1035 where we stopped for a bite of lunch and marked the end of our ride as it was tarmac back into Chiang Mai.

Overall an easy section of dirt road going about 58 KM's from the turnoff of Highway 1 near Ngao to the 1035 by Nong Nao. If its dry and you're a confident rider it could be done on a larger Africa Twin type bike.

Back
Top Bottom