Confirmation of clamp down on visa runs at Mae Sai

There's several people in Chiang Mai that have just gone to the Thai Embassy, in Savannakhet, Laos & with an "invitation letter" from a Thai company to work & have been able to get Non-Imm B (Work visa for Thailand) issued! You don't even have to then finish the process and get a legitimate a Thai work permit, it's a real joke! Surely they will clamp this loophole too?

Thats always been the way tho no ?? If your Thai company is less than one year old, you cannot get the WP and rest, this is a problem they have made by their own beaurocracy.

I am curious if VT gave them 1 year non imm B multiple entries (very handy and you do get from 'back home') or simply a single entry 90 day.. Which will be far less useful as you will have a hard time getting further ones, as the idea is you will then be asked to extend in country. This is the point you now need the work permit and all the rules that go with that.

Sounds too easy doesn't it?

My APEC card expired recently and I have no burning need or lack of options for the next step but I like to explore all options.

LoS:- I often found Immigration unsure on how to process the card. I am trying to find mine but it seems to have gone into hiding. If it turns up I scan & send.
Some literature says the card is machine readable but I do not remember it having a mag strip.

Machine readable is also the text on the bottom of the flap of a passport, optical readable. Tho modern RFID ones should transmit the same digital wireless.

I once had an emergency passport issued in Europe and because it was a rush job that whole section was blank.. Officers didnt like that as it often meant typing in the info if the system demanded it.

Another way to possibly get a business visa without the work permit issue is a letter from a company that manufactures something in Thailand, and you would be a sales rep for them in your home country. You would never be working here, but would have to go to sales meetings, etc.

This worked for me a few years back. Got the 1 year B-1 visa, good for 90 days at a time.

This thread has me scratching my head. Me and beautiful girlfriend are coming 6/10 for two months. Do you think we're still okay to just plan on one border run? I hate to spend $160 US for two two entry 60 day visas only to have it all for naught if we take a few trips out of country - and would be pissed to only get a 15 day visa if crossing a land border.

10th June ?? If so I would get visas, just to be extra safe.. If 6th Oct.. You could wait a while and see how it develops.

I figured for the $160 visa fees we might as well fly to Siem Reap (beautiful girlfriend has never been) and get another 30 days arriving in Chiang Mai by air. Would this work?

Seems they are mainly targeting the walk out and walk back in crowd so i think your plan would work,especially if you have proof of a flight out in the month or 2 after you fly to SR.

Then again being LOS it might work at one airport but not another.

The ability to show your a tourist, with hotel bookings, travel plans, ande a flight out.. Along with money to do so.. Should be fine..

But your going to be down to officer discretion.. I think if your passport isnt full of stamps, then your unlikely to have real problems.

Well then... Its clear as mud! I think I'll just count on the old same same, flash my friendliest smile, give the nice customs man a sincere wai and leave it to Buddha.

Looking forward to saying hello to old friends and meeting new ones.

Thanks for the advice.

Just got back from doing a 30 day land crossing visa in Mai Sai (3rd crossing). Almost got turned away at the exit gate leaving thailand and entering myanmar. seems like there might be more leniency for the next month or so if you arrived with actual hotel guest paperwork, return plane ticket home showing a date that dose not exceed that 30 day period and 10,000 baht cash in hand (thats what the boarder officer was asking of us). after a phone call to my wife verifying my reason for being here and some other work related things, he reluctantly let us cross. while at the exit counter 2 other tourist walked up behind us in line to do the same thing and the officer told them to please step away from the counter so they would not see him process our passports. To no surprise the other 2 people behind us did not make it through and were turned back. the officer was without a doubt the main guy in charge and was trying to set an example for the other employees at the office. total time at the counter was about 30 minutes. all other tourist with proper single or multiple entry visa's were aloud to cross without any hassle.

Thanks Travis it keeps confirming the latest procedure

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

There still seems to be huge holes in their (Thai Immigration) check preceedure.

Basically pretty easy to disguise yourself as a tourist.

All you have to do is have a printed reservation from a hotel and a photo-shopped flight itinerary (flight out of Thailand) to qualify for 3 more visa exempt re-entry stamps into Thailand, for Thai Immigration at an international border crossing to let you back in?

There still seems to be huge holes in their (Thai Immigration) check preceedure.

All you have to do is have a printed reservation from a hotel and a photo-shopped flight itinerary (flight out of Thailand) to qualify for 3 more visa exempt re-entry stamps into Thailand, for Thai Immigration at an international border crossing to let you back in?

I would not bet on it as in the case of Travis they did make phone calls checking on if the facts were real facts. And I don't want to speculate on what would happen if they found out that you tried to fool them by presenting fake facts.

The interesting aspect is less how they treat visa exempt entries, but (if the boss of immigrations interview of guidelines and statement of intent is real) the way they treat legit multi entry tourist visas.

Its all well and good to demand people are 'real tourists' but they have not defined what a 'real tourist' is.. When someone has a triple entry tourist visa good for 9 months, do they expect them to be hotels and trips and tour itineraries the whole time ??

They have to define what they want more.. Its cant be just officer discretion.

That is exactly what I did when China was having some sort of visa crackdown after troubles in Tibet.
They wanted every hotel I planned on staying at, and the flight ticket as well. I photo shopped all
the documents, and received the visa as they actually had no way to check on anything....

Yesterdays update from poipet.

1. Today Poi Pet border gave extension only 7 days new rules .

2. If someone first time never been to poi pet before immigration will extension only 7 days.

3. If you have Tourist visa Double entry ,Non-O Multiple ,Non-B ( multiple ) you can cross

4. Without Thai visa stamp only 7 days

Also it seems in the UK Hull are refusing tourist visas by mail and only possibly doing tourist visas on case by case for walk ins.

Theres some (unconfirmed) rumor that theres a meeting on the 27th May which is bringing in new rules for giving multi entry non imms (eg they need to have work permit and 4 thai staff, same as extensions in Thailand) etc etc.

Next 27 May there will be a Consultative Meeting with government to discuss the following:
Visas and work permits
- WP-10 regulation change
- Updates on immigration and work permit rules
e.g. Thai-Foreign employee ratio, required working capital per one work permit
BOI's rules on unskilled foreign labor
BOI promotion for services
Other issues related to FTAs

Rules they seem to be tightening all across the board.

Hey folks, just a quick update, just back from local Immigration office in Sakon Nakhon as my Tourist/visa exempt is due to run out tomorrow, took my Marriage certificate, kids birth certificates, house book and wifes ID card and got a 60 day extension no problems, cost 1900Baht,

I will say though that the immigration officer is one I've dealt with quite a few times over the years and he knows he will be tipped genorously, he also this time gave me his own personal phone number so any issues I have any other time then I have to give him a call, not sure if this will help at the airport though but could be handy, guess I will see next time I come back from work.

Hey folks, just a quick update, just back from local Immigration office in Sakon Nakhon as my Tourist/visa exempt is due to run out tomorrow, took my Marriage certificate, kids birth certificates, house book and wifes ID card and got a 60 day extension no problems, cost 1900Baht,

So you got a 60 day extension on a 30 day on arrival visa exempt stamp?

Marriage extension.

60 days.. standard procedure.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

yep 60 day extension on a 30 day on arrival visa exempt, as LivinLOS says this is standard which I didnt know until today, before I've always just gotten a 1 week extension or done a border run if needing longer.

yep 60 day extension on a 30 day on arrival visa exempt, as LivinLOS says this is standard which I didnt know until today, before I've always just gotten a 1 week extension or done a border run if needing longer.

It must be a tourist visa? Not a 30 day visa exempt entry (entry stamp at Thai immigration)? If not, first time i've ever heard of this?

It must be a tourist visa? Not a 30 day visa exempt entry (entry stamp at Thai immigration)? If not, first time i've ever heard of this?

My bad, must be tourist then, the one you get at the airport when coming in, fill in the arrival card etc, as I said in an earlier post I'm not all that clued up on the visa processes here, starting to do some homework on the subject though and looking to eventually go down the 1 year marriage visa route should I have issues coming in and out on tourist visa's.

My bad, must be tourist then, the one you get at the airport when coming in, fill in the arrival card etc, as I said in an earlier post I'm not all that clued up on the visa processes here, starting to do some homework on the subject though and looking to eventually go down the 1 year marriage visa route should I have issues coming in and out on tourist visa's.

That's visa exempt (arrival at a Thai International Immigration checkpoint without obtaining a Thai immigration visa before-hand). Very strange that you were able to get a visa extension with a visa exempt entry, especially now with the tightening/ enforcing of Thai immigration laws?

That's visa exempt (arrival at a Thai International Immigration checkpoint without obtaining a Thai immigration visa before-hand). Very strange that you were able to get a visa extension with a visa exempt entry, especially now with the tightening/ enforcing of Thai immigration laws?

I've always gotten 7 day extensions on this type no problem as have never done any other type, always just fill in the arrival card on the plane or at the airport when coming back into the country from wherever Ive been working,

Last time in though I had to go to the medical desk and show my vaccination booklet as had been working in Cameroun and Nigeria, have worked both these places previously and never had to do this before,

Been coming in and out this way now for 5+ years, very rarely do I need extensions as I'm usually away back to work before my 30days are up and only needed longer than the 7 day extensions twice of which I've done border runs to Laos via Mukdahan with the family and inlaws, only reason I knew about the 60 day extension was because my mate from Khon Kaen was down visiting last week and he says he gets them all the time from Khon Kaen immigration.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 317

No 30 day stamp...

With married to a Thai or supporting a your Thai child you can get an automatic 60 day extension at immigration on the 30 day visa exempt stamp.

So special situation, Thai spouse or child to qualify for the 60 day visa extension on visa exempt entry in Thailand.

No 30 day stamp...

With married to a Thai or supporting a your Thai child you can get an automatic 60 day extension at immigration on the 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Yeah if no Thai family you get 7 days on a 30.. If Thai wife or child (legally not just name on birth cert I think) you get + 60.

THAI IMMIGRATION - NO MORE BORDER VISA RUNS AFTER AUGUST 12TH, 2014

[h=2]Immigration authorities will not let visa runners return after August 12[/h]FOREIGNERS WHO do regular visa runs in order to extend their stay in Thailand have less than a month before a crackdown by the authorities to enforce immigration laws more strictly.

From August 13, people will not be able to re-enter the country, regardless of their choice of transport.

The Immigration Bureau has already instructed officials to deny entry to foreigners doing visa runs as a measure to stop the exploitation of tourist visas and visa exemptions to live or work here.

Visa runs have been common among foreigners in Thailand recently, given that a simple search on the Net turns up several companies offering "visa trips" for expatriates staying or working here.

Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay. By exploiting 60-day tourist visas and 30-day visa exemptions, many foreigners can work illegally in language schools, or restaurants and other businesses. It is easier for some to get jobs this way, as some employers do not want to go through the complicated process of seeking work permits and like to avoid the expense if they can.

"I have done visa runs several times before, because my employers would not agree to seek a work permit until I passed their probation period. So, when you stop allowing visa runs, the lives of many foreigners in Thailand will be affected," a 46-year-old American said.

Meanwhile, the Immigration Bureau website says: "Leniency will be granted until August 12, but only for passengers arriving by air. Foreigners who come to Thailand must seek a proper visa in line with the purpose of their intended stay here."

Now, those on a visa run who are allowed back in will find an "O-I" (Out-In) mark next to their latest stamp marking entry. From August 13, nobody with an O-I sign on their passport will be allowed to re-enter Thailand if they cannot produce a proper visa.

The Immigration Bureau has instructed checkpoints on shared borders to stop visa runners from entering the Kingdom effective immediately.

Immigration Division 6 chief Pol Maj-General Tatchai Pitaneelabut, who oversees immigration affairs in the South, said visa runners come from several countries, including Vietnam, South Korea and Russia.

"They come here to work as tour guides, waiters, waitresses, etc," he said, pointing out that these visa-runners are often based in tourist centres such as Phuket and Songkhla.

However, he said the presence of the so-called "out-in" migrants in the South had been significantly reduced because immigration officials were already enforcing stricter laws.

Pol Lt-Colonel Weerawat Nilwat, an inspector at the Sungai Kolok border checkpoint in Narathiwat province, disclosed that immigration officials at his workplace had already barred more than 100 visa-runners from re-entering the Kingdom.

"We have to be strict because we have to uphold laws and properly control immigrants. Efficiency on this front will also reduce crime," he said.

Pol Colonel Thirachai Dedkhad, the superintendent at the Sa Kaew checkpoint, said officials under his supervision were not stopping visa runners from re-entering yet. "But we have been warning them to acquire a proper visa before they come to Thailand the next time."

He said immigration officials had also warned people departing that they must obtain a proper visa if they want to come back.

"We have made it clear that if they want to work in Thailand, they must seek a work permit and get the right type of visa," Thirachai said.

SOURCE: No more visa runs - The Nation

Thailand overstay bans now officially in place, from the Thai Immigration website::

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

logo.png
Warning !​
The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

Overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year
Overstay more than 1 year forbidden 3 years
Overstay more than 3 years forbidden 5 years
Overstay more than 5 years forbidden 10 years

In the case that alien is being apprehended
Overstay less than 1 year forbidden 5 years
Overstay more than 1 years forbidden 10 years​
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -คำเตือน !
สำนักงานตำรวจแห่งชาติ ได้นำเสนอกระทรวงมหาดไทยเพื่อพิจารณา สั่งห้ามคนต่างด้าว “ที่อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาต” เดินทางเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักร โดยเป็นไปตามระยะเวลาการสั่งห้ามมิให้เดินทางเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักร ดังนี้.

อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 90 วัน ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 1 ปี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 1 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 3 ปี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 3 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 5 ปี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 5 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 10 ปี

กรณีคนต่างด้าวถูกจับดำเนินคดี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตน้อยกว่า 1 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 5 ปี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 1 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 10 ปี​
เข้าสู่เว็บไซต์..................................................................Enter Website

- - - Updated - - -

Thailand overstay bans now officially in place, from the Thai Immigration website::

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

logo.png
Warning !​
The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

Overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year
Overstay more than 1 year forbidden 3 years
Overstay more than 3 years forbidden 5 years
Overstay more than 5 years forbidden 10 years

In the case that alien is being apprehended
Overstay less than 1 year forbidden 5 years
Overstay more than 1 years forbidden 10 years​
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -คำเตือน !
สำนักงานตำรวจแห่งชาติ ได้นำเสนอกระทรวงมหาดไทยเพื่อพิจารณา สั่งห้ามคนต่างด้าว “ที่อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาต” เดินทางเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักร โดยเป็นไปตามระยะเวลาการสั่งห้ามมิให้เดินทางเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักร ดังนี้.

อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 90 วัน ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 1 ปี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 1 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 3 ปี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 3 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 5 ปี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 5 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 10 ปี

กรณีคนต่างด้าวถูกจับดำเนินคดี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตน้อยกว่า 1 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 5 ปี
อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 1 ปี ห้ามเข้าเป็นเวลา 10 ปี​
เข้าสู่เว็บไซต์..................................................................Enter Website

Apparently Chiang Mai immigration have started making everyone sign acknowledgement of this new blacklist enforcement when you 90 day report.

Also as of 29 August they will implement a 30 day extension to the 30 day visa exempt entry. Clearly the push is to enable legit tourists to use visa exempt and tourist visas but not allow long term stayers to use them. Carrot and stick.

Holiday in Thailand could end for expats - Features - Al Jazeera English

Although Thailand has warned of similar crackdowns in the past, most have come and gone as quickly as successive Thai governments, amid a cycle of coups and elections in the past decade.

But recent forced deportations of undocumented migrant workers from neighbouring Myanmar, Cambodia, and Laos, as well as a campaign against grey industries including unlicensed taxis and street vendors, suggests the military government means business, said Rex Baay, an immigration consultant at Siam Legal International.

"This time I think they are kind of serious about visas," he said. "Every day we receive telephone enquiries from desperate people."

Ghost schools

Education visas, which provided a more legitimate long-term option for expats, have become a target of the recent crackdown due to the large numbers of ghost schools in Thailand that provide the necessary paperwork without offering any classes. The military government has reportedly ordered schools across the country to ask for signed declarations from foreign students who must now promise they will attend classes.

For people who fit into none of these categories, question marks remain. A semi-retired UK national in his 40s who asked not to be identified said he has visited Thailand a dozen times since he closed a telecommunications consultancy in Europe two years ago. Although a visa-exemption on arrival worked in the past, he said he is reluctant to fly back to Thailand in case he is refused entry.

"I will not be stranded by the visa crackdown as I have my own home outside of Thailand, but it will force me to change my plans," he said.

Back
Top Bottom