COMPLETED -The Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle track

Hopefully as we discussed, we can do this again in April Jack. I'll ask the local guys see who's available and interested, I know Max would love to do it & HarryGPS has had this track on his list for a decade.

Yes, but I´ll fly home at the 1st of april. I´ll be in Kan next week. Let´s see, what is possible.

Look's like heaps of fun in the jungle :DD

Great stuff thanks Jack.

After I spoke to you last year, I ended up at the Nu Pho camp, which is presumably near the bottom of the red road in your map?

I'd love to get back there and join up the bit I missed between Sangkhla Buri and there.

Great stuff thanks Jack.

After I spoke to you last year, I ended up at the Nu Pho camp, which is presumably near the bottom of the red road in your map?

I'd love to get back there and join up the bit I missed between Sangkhla Buri and there.
Great hopefully to ride with u one day.:):D

You could possibly put the bike on the train. Not sure what Phil will be doing but he might go by truck and have someone drive the truck from the starting point to the other end to pick up bike and rider again - we did this with my truck and Phil's bike on a trip to the north of Laos.

I've been talking with Jack (the guide) after he got back from the last jungle run with rider's. This trail has now become extremely popular & nearly every dirt rider I know is salivating about completing it.

Jack is the best guide to get you through there. He knows the region like no-one else (grew up in one of the remote villages) & has family in every village. If something happens to you or the bike, he can get you out of there. It's very remote, highly advisable to use him even though we have the region mapped and is on the North Thailand GPS map.

What is proposed is the following guide fees (using Jack):

3 riders or less - 1,000 Bht per day per rider.

4 riders or more- 500 Bht per day per rider (negotiable for very big groups).

Remember, this is what Jack does for a living. He speaks great English, speaks the local Karen tribal languages and Thai. He has to maintain his own bike and pay for fuel too. For what he has to offer, after speaking to a few rider's everyone seems to think this is fair.

If you wish to ship your bike to Sangkhlaburi, Jack can arrange to receive it with plenty of notice.

That sounds like a really good price, when are we off !!!!

That sounds like a really good price, when are we off !!!!

Bob, I am thinking December. It's about the only time I can get back there & is a good month to do it.
I may bring a couple of others from Aus & make a 2 week trip out of it.

Great pictures from Jack of the ride, partly on new tracks, at least for the Chiangmai guys who have done this trip with Jack. Got the GPS tracks of all the new bits and pieces of this trip (single track at the start, bypass at the Suriya river so you stay in Thailand and a new part at the end near the Three Pagoda Pass) and will put them in the North Thailand GPS map.

However, like Phil said, even though the tracks are all on the GPS map it will be far better to make use of the services of Jack as he knows the area very well, knows the local and, in case you would run into trouble, he will know or find a solution to get you out of there

Saw also a reference to the 4WD track which would be so much easier than the single track. Had a quick look at the www as I am always on the look out for new trips but quickly decided that this trip should definitely not be on my list of trips to do as it would be way beyond my 4WD driving capabilities. Here is a short movie (there are quite a few more) of a group of Singapore people with Thai guides doing a trip in the Sangkhlaburi area.

I don't know if any of you have driven 4 WD in the Oz outback mud, narrow high tyres and torque is what works there. The balloon (wide) tyres just don't grip on the surface of the slime, the narrow tyres bite down to the base of the mud. Wide tyres are for sand etc. Seemed that the red Suzuki with the narrower tyres with the aggressive pattern got thru on torque not spinning and revving the engine like crazy. There was a reason for the old Jeeps to have a narrow tyre with the simple bar pattern. Just an observation and not a criticism , but to me it seems most 4WD people are using the wrong tyres in a situation like this. More money than sense.

Bob, I am thinking December. It's about the only time I can get back there & is a good month to do it.

Sounds like a plan mate i'll pack my toothbrush and mozi cream now !!!

Pounce - i think the rivers are too high still in December, late February to early June is good.

Jack's got a load more of his photo's on his public facebook page of his jungle trip with Mike in the link below -----Click on the photo below:

Pounce - i think the rivers are too high still in December, late February to early June is good.

Think your right Phil, looking back it loks like May last year was bloody hard work also but it is obviously one hell of a track and as much fun as you can have with your clothes on !!!

I contacted Jack on Facebook.

Pounce
Hi Jack, some friends & I would like to do the Umpung track in December, around Christmas time. Would you be able to guide us then, will the rivers be low enough too? Thanks

Muddy Rider
yeah this year? December is the best time to ride.

Seems to be OK unless there has been something lost in translation. I'll try & get some more info from him unless one of you can meet with him.

More good reason to rely on Jack is that much of the trail winds through restricted areas with men with guns. Having a local with you can make or break a trip. You can read more about permissions in the link below, Rob's report of our 1st adventure back in Feb 2010, but even with papers, it can still be difficult.

Rumble in the jungle - the missing link ride in Thailand - ADVrider

As for going in May, Rob and I also had that idea too, and tried the trail in May, 2011. You can see the results here:

Jack's also quite handy with a machete and bamboo.

Enjoy,

Mike

Great video Mike thanks for putting it up, so it looks like December is a good to go ?

Sure i have seen a number for Jack somewhere.

Wow, looks at those rivers! Hopefully it shows potential rider's headed here how respectful you need to be on your timing. Very professional video.

The North Thailand Road & Off-Road map has now been updated for the additional new tracks Jack & Mike found (Sangkhlaburi to Pueng Klueng region). All this data will be available on the updated map which will be released shortly.

8654736896_edf0281270_b.jpg

I have dirt bike trip this weekend again and maybe will ride down to Myanmar Karen's state. will try to post after complete.:LOL

I have dirt bike trip this weekend again and maybe will ride down to Myanmar Karen's state. will try to post after complete.:LOL

Good luck with the trip Jack. Alex told me he is riding down there -- 960 km from Chiang Mai on a KLX 250!!!

Alex told me he is riding down there -- 960 km from Chiang Mai on a KLX 250!!!

So is this the distance to where we'd meet jack to start the trip? Shit, that's a 2 day road ride in itself.
Is there no shorter/quicker route to the start?

I LOVE watching that rainy season video by Mike. I thought I was the only one falling endlessly on mud that seemed more slippery than ice. So always brings a smile to my face to see all the falls that Mike did caught on camera while behind me.... :-)

So is this the distance to where we'd meet jack to start the trip? Shit, that's a 2 day road ride in itself.
Is there no shorter/quicker route to the start?

Nope, unless you start from another place like Bangkok or do the trip in reverse by starting from the Umphang side but then you have the 2 day trip back to Chiangmai at the end

Looks like you had a up and down time Jack !

Back
Top Bottom