COMPLETED -The Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle track

Count me and my stockings in for another dose of that...awesome

Well Guys, I have added the tracks from Sangklaburi to Umphang to the North Thailand GPS map. So, if you are planning to do this trip ask Jack to help you as he knows the area very well and, as a backup, make sure you have the GPS map as well as paper maps.

Jack can be contacted by e-mail at: jarunsaksri1@gmail.com and phone mobile: +66854254434 or see here: http://www.sangklaburidirtbikeadventure.blogspot.com/

Sangkhlaburi to Umpang Annotated.jpg

Along the track via Ban Khliti there are numerous Ranger Posts from the Tung Tai Naresuan Wildlife Preservation Area. The track which heads directly north of Sangkhlaburi has a Ranger Station at the Entrance so for both you will need a permit before you can head on these tracks. Not sure if you need a permit for the most westerly access road which starts close to the 3 Pagoda Pass but I gues Phil/Robert will be able to enlighten us about that.

Well Guys, I have added the tracks from Sangklaburi to Umphang to the North Thailand GPS map. So, if you are planning to do this trip ask Jack to help you as he knows the area very well and, as a backup, make sure you have the GPS map as well as paper maps.

Jack can be contacted by e-mail at: jarunsaksri1@gmail.com and phone mobile: +66854254434 or see here: http://www.sangklaburidirtbikeadventure.blogspot.com/

Sangkhlaburi to Umpang Annotated.jpg

Along the track via Ban Khliti there are numerous Ranger Posts from the Tung Tai Naresuan Wildlife Preservation Area. The track which heads directly north of Sangkhlaburi has a Ranger Station at the Entrance so for both you will need a permit before you can head on these tracks. Not sure if you need a permit for the most westerly access road which starts close to the 3 Pagoda Pass but I gues Phil/Robert will be able to enlighten us about that.

KTMphil said:
There's been some talk of doing it again once Luke's bike arrives in a few weeks, i'll keep you posted.

Brilliant im up for some more of that again, count me in :jump

KTMphil said:
There's been some talk of doing it again once Luke's bike arrives in a few weeks, i'll keep you posted.

Brilliant im up for some more of that again, count me in :jump

Logistically, anyone want to throw in some ideas of how to do it?

1. Ride off road to Mae Sot, then south to Umpang and do the trail south then back up to Mae Sot - 4 days of riding, 2 south and 2 back north . All-in all would be 6 days.

2. Hire a Nim See Sing truck and deliver all the bikes to Sangkhlaburi (920km from Chiang Mai). Option of flying to Don Muang airport (north Bangkok) & taking a minibus to Sangkhlaburi.

3. Use several pick-ups and take the bikes to Mae Sot - then do the jungle trail twice - 4 days of riding, 2 south and 2 back north to Mae Sot.

Map below of the road route between Chiang Mai & Sangkhlaburi

file.php

1. Ride off road to Mae Sot, then south to Umpang and do the trail south then back up to Mae Sot - 4 days of riding, 2 south and 2 back north . All-in all would be 6 days.

2. Hire a Nim See Sing truck and deliver all the bikes to Sangkhlaburi (920km from Chiang Mai). Option of flying to Don Muang airport (north Bangkok) & taking a minibus to Sangkhlaburi.

3. Use several pick-ups and take the bikes to Mae Sot - then do the jungle trail twice - 4 days of riding, 2 south and 2 back north to Mae Sot.

Map below of the road route between Chiang Mai & Sangkhlaburi

file.php

KTMphil said:

Pickup to Mae Sot, ride the current trail south, then find a new trail back north more to the east so it makes a loop.

If there is a trail more east that is.

KTMphil said:

Pickup to Mae Sot, ride the current trail south, then find a new trail back north more to the east so it makes a loop.

MastaMax said:
KTMphil said:

There seems to be an common liking to driving pick-ups to Mae Sot and doing the trail twice , back north to the pick-ups.

Auke has been burning the midnight oil and has put the "The Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle track" on the North Thailand Off-Road & Tarmac GPS map, amongst other new data too.

When the new release of the GPS map is made available in the near future all this data will be on the GPS map. :MJ

MastaMax said:
KTMphil said:

There seems to be an common liking to driving pick-ups to Mae Sot and doing the trail twice , back north to the pick-ups.

Auke has been burning the midnight oil and has put the "The Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle track" on the North Thailand Off-Road & Tarmac GPS map, amongst other new data too.

When the new release of the GPS map is made available in the near future all this data will be on the GPS map. :MJ

Here's a snapshot of the Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle tracks that will be on the next version of the North Thailand Off-Road & Tarmac GPS map, as far as we know they are not on any other map.

umpang jungle run on gps map.jpg

Here's a snapshot of the Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle tracks that will be on the next version of the North Thailand Off-Road & Tarmac GPS map, as far as we know they are not on any other map.

umpang jungle run on gps map.jpg

Should rename it " Missing Link Ride"... Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle tracks does not quite roll off the tongue..
Big and Tall : These rides are not designed to make you jealous, you just need to grow a pair and come along. :-) I heard you were off in Indonesia??
Midnight Mapper: No this bike is not the world famous Zipstar. I sold that bike when it died in the Chinese town on the edge of the Tibet border. Current bike is the mighty QingQi , which does not want to seem to die no matter how badly I treat it. Now has 31,000 kilometers on it ,with only a valve train replacement done.
On last year's rainy season jungle ride, when it lost all its oil , before a half day of tough riding, I figured that would be the end of it. Guess not........

Should rename it " Missing Link Ride"... Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle tracks does not quite roll off the tongue..
Big and Tall : These rides are not designed to make you jealous, you just need to grow a pair and come along. :-) I heard you were off in Indonesia??
Midnight Mapper: No this bike is not the world famous Zipstar. I sold that bike when it died in the Chinese town on the edge of the Tibet border. Current bike is the mighty QingQi , which does not want to seem to die no matter how badly I treat it. Now has 31,000 kilometers on it ,with only a valve train replacement done.
On last year's rainy season jungle ride, when it lost all its oil , before a half day of tough riding, I figured that would be the end of it. Guess not........

The real story of Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary and Huay Kha khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary is plight of the Klity Lang villagers.

Local mining company Lead Concentrate Co buried the ore tailings from its mining venture, which closed in 1999. Tests of the water supply showed the ore contaminated Klity Creek, causing many residents to fall ill.The company buried the tailings at sites about 10 metres away from the creek, the main water source of the village's residents. Many villagers developed symptoms of lead poisoning.

What might be of greater concern to many Thai people and Kanchanaburi Tourists is the water running through the Klity creek feeds the Sii Nakharin Reservoir
The tragedy was first made public 13 years ago after a large number of these ethnic-Karen villagers fell sick and died from a mysterious illness and an unusually high percentage of newborns were found to be physically or mentally handicapped. The culprit was thought to be a nearby lead mine whose owner was accused of releasing untreated toxic waste directly into Klity creek, the village's main source of water. The stream was found to contain a layer of dangerously contaminated sediment which the relevant authorities have refused to remove, reasoning that to disturb it would only spread the poison more widely. While villagers have received treatment for superficial symptoms of ill-health, officials have refused to link the rash of cases to lead poisoning.
Claiming that their plight has been deliberately ignored because of racial prejudice, the Klity villagers sought redress from the courts, enlisting the help of several human rights groups.( www. Karenhilltribes.org.uk ) They recently won the first leg of their legal action, but it will take years, perhaps even decades, for their case to reach the Supreme Court. Meanwhile, they have to continue living in a highly toxic environment.
The Department of Water Resources has been in charge of constructing the two check dams with a budget of 5.5 million baht to collect sediment. The project is expected to complete by the end of the dry season.

Surapol Kongchanthuek, director of the Karen Studies and Development Centre who was also a member of the department's committee to solve pollution problems in the creek, said he was disappointed by the delay in rehabilitation projects.

Surachai "Nga" Chantimatorn ( Nga Caravan )gave a series of three "Heart to Heart" concerts at Bangkok Arts and Culture Centre to raise money for victims of lead poisoning in Klity Lang village.

Through our adventure tours, bringing visitors to Kanchanaburi Province we want to support these people and show their plight is not being ignored.

The real story of Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary and Huay Kha khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary is plight of the Klity Lang villagers.

Local mining company Lead Concentrate Co buried the ore tailings from its mining venture, which closed in 1999. Tests of the water supply showed the ore contaminated Klity Creek, causing many residents to fall ill.The company buried the tailings at sites about 10 metres away from the creek, the main water source of the village's residents. Many villagers developed symptoms of lead poisoning.

What might be of greater concern to many Thai people and Kanchanaburi Tourists is the water running through the Klity creek feeds the Sii Nakharin Reservoir
The tragedy was first made public 13 years ago after a large number of these ethnic-Karen villagers fell sick and died from a mysterious illness and an unusually high percentage of newborns were found to be physically or mentally handicapped. The culprit was thought to be a nearby lead mine whose owner was accused of releasing untreated toxic waste directly into Klity creek, the village's main source of water. The stream was found to contain a layer of dangerously contaminated sediment which the relevant authorities have refused to remove, reasoning that to disturb it would only spread the poison more widely. While villagers have received treatment for superficial symptoms of ill-health, officials have refused to link the rash of cases to lead poisoning.
Claiming that their plight has been deliberately ignored because of racial prejudice, the Klity villagers sought redress from the courts, enlisting the help of several human rights groups.( www. Karenhilltribes.org.uk ) They recently won the first leg of their legal action, but it will take years, perhaps even decades, for their case to reach the Supreme Court. Meanwhile, they have to continue living in a highly toxic environment.
The Department of Water Resources has been in charge of constructing the two check dams with a budget of 5.5 million baht to collect sediment. The project is expected to complete by the end of the dry season.

Surapol Kongchanthuek, director of the Karen Studies and Development Centre who was also a member of the department's committee to solve pollution problems in the creek, said he was disappointed by the delay in rehabilitation projects.

Surachai "Nga" Chantimatorn ( Nga Caravan )gave a series of three "Heart to Heart" concerts at Bangkok Arts and Culture Centre to raise money for victims of lead poisoning in Klity Lang village.

Through our adventure tours, bringing visitors to Kanchanaburi Province we want to support these people and show their plight is not being ignored.

Yes, the story about the Kliti villagers is heartbreaking as they had no clue that the water they were using for drinking, cooking, for their cattle, etc. as well as the dust during the dry season was poisoned by lead from the Lead Concentrate Mine. Maybe we, as RideAsia Forum members and who ride over there, should get together and see what we can do for the Kliti villagers and their plight as help from the Lead Mine nor from the Thai Government is virtually on-existing.

Yes, the story about the Kliti villagers is heartbreaking as they had no clue that the water they were using for drinking, cooking, for their cattle, etc. as well as the dust during the dry season was poisoned by lead from the Lead Concentrate Mine. Maybe we, as RideAsia Forum members and who ride over there, should get together and see what we can do for the Kliti villagers and their plight as help from the Lead Mine nor from the Thai Government is virtually on-existing.

Jack, a guide in the Sangkhlaburi area can organize a trip in this area, he knows the trails extremely well.

His contact details are:

e-mail :jarunsaksri1@gmail.com

mobile: +66854254434

Jack, a guide in the Sangkhlaburi area can organize a trip in this area, he knows the trails extremely well.

His contact details are:

e-mail :jarunsaksri1@gmail.com

mobile: +66854254434

Sangklaburi area is nice place for riding trailbike. Around Thung Yai Naresuan wildlife sanctuary(World heritage).And also ride through to Umphang north of Thailand or whose want to ride from Umphang to Sangklaburi, we can organize a trip for u too.
Should you interest in using our service please fell free to question for more detail by mail, jarunsaksri1@gmail.com, mobile +66854254434
All of the riders must bring their own bike.We will do two days trip up to Umphang and leave them there and I myself need to ride two days back to Sangklaburi.
The price should be 2000bath per person a day. Including meal and Karen homestay.The food should be Karen's traditional food and some local vegetable in the jungle and drink boiled water.

Sangklaburi area is nice place for riding trailbike. Around Thung Yai Naresuan wildlife sanctuary(World heritage).And also ride through to Umphang north of Thailand or whose want to ride from Umphang to Sangklaburi, we can organize a trip for u too.
Should you interest in using our service please fell free to question for more detail by mail, jarunsaksri1@gmail.com, mobile +66854254434
All of the riders must bring their own bike.We will do two days trip up to Umphang and leave them there and I myself need to ride two days back to Sangklaburi.
The price should be 2000bath per person a day. Including meal and Karen homestay.The food should be Karen's traditional food and some local vegetable in the jungle and drink boiled water.

jack said:

Jack -

Lets say rider's want to use your trekking services for 4 days?

What be the the total cost for you (ie including your bike, fuel, food & accommodation)

jack said:

Jack -

Lets say rider's want to use your trekking services for 4 days?

What be the the total cost for you (ie including your bike, fuel, food & accommodation)

Hi Phil,

I'm looking to try to ride my Versys from Thong Pha Phum to Umphang crossing the Thungyai naresuan+Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife sanctuaries.But not thru the insane off road route u did along the border, it will be another route more south.So I'd like to know how did u get the permit to cross the Tung yai naresuan? Can you please give me the details of the right person to contact? and how long time you had to wait to get this permit?
Btw if somebody is interested to try this ride with me, I'm planning to do it from beginning of March following these info I got on Google maps:
from the 323 north of Thong Pha Phum, after Chalae turn right on the ARD KBR 3183 and then crossing the villages of Thi Kai, Ban Khli Thi, Nam Chon, Mae Lamug and then the road 1090 up to Umpghang On Google they estimate the ride for 216 kms and 7h 45mins, meaning a lot of off road track! But I'd like to give it a try even on a Versys...
Here is my thai mobile number if someone wants to join me: 0825507528
Thanks
Mamos

Hi Phil,

I'm looking to try to ride my Versys from Thong Pha Phum to Umphang crossing the Thungyai naresuan+Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife sanctuaries.But not thru the insane off road route u did along the border, it will be another route more south.So I'd like to know how did u get the permit to cross the Tung yai naresuan? Can you please give me the details of the right person to contact? and how long time you had to wait to get this permit?
Btw if somebody is interested to try this ride with me, I'm planning to do it from beginning of March following these info I got on Google maps:
from the 323 north of Thong Pha Phum, after Chalae turn right on the ARD KBR 3183 and then crossing the villages of Thi Kai, Ban Khli Thi, Nam Chon, Mae Lamug and then the road 1090 up to Umpghang On Google they estimate the ride for 216 kms and 7h 45mins, meaning a lot of off road track! But I'd like to give it a try even on a Versys...
Here is my thai mobile number if someone wants to join me: 0825507528
Thanks
Mamos

I have some number here for permit at Ban Pong. You can call him but not sure he can speak English.
0819861709 or ask your Thai friend to call for you.
for more question you can ask me 0854254434
Cheer
Jack

I have some number here for permit at Ban Pong. You can call him but not sure he can speak English.
0819861709 or ask your Thai friend to call for you.
for more question you can ask me 0854254434
Cheer
Jack

thanks Jack see you in Sangkhlaburi on first days of March
cheers
mamos

thanks Jack see you in Sangkhlaburi on first days of March
cheers
mamos

I've been talking with Jack & he has a plan to do the Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle track from south to north (ie start in Sangkhlanaburi and head north to Umphang) starting on the 28th February. It takes 2 riding days.

I'm considering going, if anyone is interested, PM me.

I've been talking with Jack & he has a plan to do the Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle track from south to north (ie start in Sangkhlanaburi and head north to Umphang) starting on the 28th February. It takes 2 riding days.

KTMphil said:

Hi Phillip
I leave on 28th February only for Jungle trekking not for trailbike.I think I will wait for u until I came back from this trip.because I have some customer have booking the jungle trek with me for 5days through to Umphang.I decide to ride with u again when you are ready maybe on March and also I waiting for my friend Mike come to ride with us.Maybe I will be back Sangklaburi on first week of March and talk with u again. :roll: :roll:

KTMphil said:

Hi Phillip
I leave on 28th February only for Jungle trekking not for trailbike.I think I will wait for u until I came back from this trip.because I have some customer have booking the jungle trek with me for 5days through to Umphang.I decide to ride with u again when you are ready maybe on March and also I waiting for my friend Mike come to ride with us.Maybe I will be back Sangklaburi on first week of March and talk with u again. :roll: :roll:

Just talk with my friend Mike we will do this trip again on 9th of March after I came back from jungle trekking.Invite all of the Riders if anyone whose interested to ride with us,call 0854254434

Back
Top Bottom