Chinese in Laos

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
from Bgk Post today

[h=2]"China challenges Thailand, Vietnam in Laos[/h]

A Shanghai-based firm has started construction on a $1.6 billion (49 billion baht) property project in Vientiane, the capital city of Laos, boosting Chinese presence in Asean's smallest economy.
Shanghai Wanfeng Group, the closely held developer of shopping malls in China, reached agreement with the Lao government in December 2011 to develop 365 hectares (2,281 rai; 900 acres) around That Luang Lake into a commercial, residential and tourist complex. Construction began Sunday, according to the Chinese official news agency Xinhua and the company's website.

Chinese firms, from dam builders to mall developers are boosting investment in Laos, a new member of the World Trade Organisation with an economy that is forecast by the International Monetary Fund to grow 8 per cent in 2013.

China CAMC Engineering Co. completed the first phase of a $100 million residential project on a 1.6km section of the Mekong river waterfront in time to accommodate leaders attending the ninth Asia-Europe Meeting in November.

The Yunnan Provincial Overseas Investment Co., a Chinese government investment arm, is developing another property project in the city valued at $40 million (1.22 billion baht).

China's total investment in Laos is $3.3 billion this year, making China the third-largest foreign investor in the landlocked nation of 6 million people, after Thailand and Vietnam, Xinhua news agency reported, citing the Ministry of Trade.

China's investments in Asean have increased 31 per cent in the first 11 months of this year, the ministry had said, without providing a detailed breakdown by countries. "

from Bgk Post today

"China challenges Thailand, Vietnam in Laos

A Shanghai-based firm has started construction on a $1.6 billion (49 billion baht) property project in Vientiane, the capital city of Laos, boosting Chinese presence in Asean's smallest economy.
Shanghai Wanfeng Group, the closely held developer of shopping malls in China, reached agreement with the Lao government in December 2011 to develop 365 hectares (2,281 rai; 900 acres) around That Luang Lake into a commercial, residential and tourist complex. Construction began Sunday, according to the Chinese official news agency Xinhua and the company's website.

Chinese firms, from dam builders to mall developers are boosting investment in Laos, a new member of the World Trade Organisation with an economy that is forecast by the International Monetary Fund to grow 8 per cent in 2013.

China CAMC Engineering Co. completed the first phase of a $100 million residential project on a 1.6km section of the Mekong river waterfront in time to accommodate leaders attending the ninth Asia-Europe Meeting in November.

The Yunnan Provincial Overseas Investment Co., a Chinese government investment arm, is developing another property project in the city valued at $40 million (1.22 billion baht).

China's total investment in Laos is $3.3 billion this year, making China the third-largest foreign investor in the landlocked nation of 6 million people, after Thailand and Vietnam, Xinhua news agency reported, citing the Ministry of Trade.

China's investments in Asean have increased 31 per cent in the first 11 months of this year, the ministry had said, without providing a detailed breakdown by countries. "

What type of residential buildings are planned. Anything that people would actually want to live in ?

Just got an email from someone well connected in Chaing Khong and they've been informed that there are approximately 2,000 Chinese cars headed out of China, across the Boten, Laos border, headed towards Chiang Khong, Thailand and the north for the Songkran holidays.

I spoke with a shop owner in Ban Ta recently, he mentioned at the intersection many Chinese cars stop at his place asking for directions, where to drink and where to sleep.
Problem is: he understood their questions but cannot speak one word English, nor Mandarin for that matter.

How many cars can go on one CK ferry, 20? And how many ferries are there a day?
Soon that will be fixed, a brand new bridge bringing thousands of opportunities.......or am I thinking as a Chinese here?

How many cars can go on one CK ferry, 20? And how many ferries are there a day?
Soon that will be fixed, a brand new bridge bringing thousands of opportunities.......or am I thinking as a Chinese here?

Well, overtime does wonders with how many cars fit on a ferry (counted over 30 cars on one ferry) and with the number of ferries on a day. On my last crossing on a Saturday during Chinese New Year I was asked to pay 1500 Baht for my car instead of the regular 1000 Baht for overtime charges. Likewise at the Lao customs and Immigration where they demanded 100 Baht for overtime. They are making a killing now as the bridge will destroy their nice income generating scheme.

Talking about money earning, a couple of weeks ago i passed time waiting for the ferry watching the guys play boules in their lunch time, around ten guys playing including two guys from the little immigration office on the ramp. The immigration guys didn't need uniforms to figure out who they were i just had to look for the guys draped in gold !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom