Chiangmai to Nongkhai at the start of my mapping trip to Laos

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
In a previous report I mentioned already my visit to Phrathat Mon Phrachao Lai (Mae Kachan - http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand-ride-reports/4015-phrathat-mon-phrachao-lai.html) which I did on my way back from my trip to Laos. However, at the start of my trip to Laos (some 2 weeks earlier) I did visit also a few for me interesting sites. On my way to Nan where I planned to stay overnight I took Rd 1023 to Phrae as during previous trips along this road I had seen a stupa on top of a mountain which looked quite nice.

Wat Phrathat Doi Noi is located at N18.11972 E99.87316 and although a visit to the wat involves some walking, at least the stupa can be reached by car. While the stupa was not really spectacular, the views from its location made up for that.

IMG_5267.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

IMG_5264.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

While it was getting late I did manage to visit the temple which claims to have the largest teakwood Buddha statue in the World. Whoile that maay be true, I wa snot really impressed by its size. The temple - Wat Somdet Sunyata Wimok is located at N18.55612 E100.74588 in Wiang Sa just before where Rd 101 heads north to Nan.

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

After a pleasant evening at Tony's place with good food, cold beer and good companionship, I was off the next morning early but not before a visit to Wat Phrathat Kao Noi (N18.76945 E100.75047) just west of Nan on Rd 1025. I had been to this place some 20 years ago and in the meantime quite a few changes had taken place.

Wat Phrathat Khao Noi is situated at Tambon Chai Sathan. The Buddha relic is enshrined in the chedi on the summit of Khao Noi on the western side of Nan town on a similar route as Wat Phaya Wat at Km. 2. It was constructed during the reign of Chaopu Khaeng in 1487. The Phrathat is a chedi made of bricks and cement reflecting a combination of Burmese and Lanna arts. It contains Buddha's hair and was under major renovation during the reign of Phrachao Suriyaphong Pharitdet during 1906 - 1911 by Burmese craftsmen. The wihan was constructed during this similar period as well. From Wat Phrathat Khao Noi, the surrounding scenery of Nan can be seen. At present, at the viewpoint spot is "Phra Phuttha Maha Udom Mongkhon Nanthaburi Si Nan", a 9-metre Buddha image in the giving blessing posture on a lotus base. The head finial of the image was made of gold with a total weight of 27 Baht. It was cast on the auspicious occasion of His Majesty the King's 6th Cycle Birthday Anniversary on 5 December, 1999.

IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5280.jpg

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5285.jpg

From Nan I traveled south and then again through the Si Nan National Park but a large part of the trip through the park I had to ride through the fog and clouds with only an occasional glimpse of the views along the way.

IMG_5286.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

IMG_5287.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

My next stop was Phra That Din Taen (N17.49640 E100.99109) which I had been reading about but had never taken the time to visit. Actually it is not a temple but just a big mound of earth.

Phra That Din Thaen - This is without doubt the most unique temple in Thailand - the 200-year-old temple was crafted entirely from soil; brick, concrete nor timber feature in its construction. The temple is highly regarded locally and receives visits from people from many districts in the province and beyond. Its history is somewhat shrouded but a local legend suggests a wandering monk asked villagers to construct Phra That Din Thaen and upon its completion asked them to adhere to the Buddha's 5 moral precepts. He also asked that the villagers should not kill animals on Buddhist Holy Days - a custom that continues in to this day. The temple is also a site of a major festival in November. Pilgrimages are made to the site where after there is a night-long entertainment.

IMG_5296.jpg

IMG_5300.jpg

There is a now a small shrine on the site with a few Buddha statues but this was not really nice to look at
IMG_5299.jpg

However, only a few hundred meters from the Phra That Din Taen you can have a look at Wat Si Pho Chai (N17.49204 E100.99744). The old wat is a bit rickety and the walls show quite large cracks but the inside is still spectacular with its large wooden pillars and roof structure.

IMG_5307.jpg

IMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5304.jpg

Not far from here is the Phu Suan Sai National Park with a viewpoint towards Laos - the Phu Thai-Lao Viewpoint (on Rd 1328 at N17.52650 E101.01066). From the viewpoint the Nam Hueang which forms here the border between Thailand and Laos is visible just above the right-top part of the sign.

IMG_5309.jpg

IMG_5312.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

While I was there, the sky turned quite dark and rain was on the way so I cut my visit short and continued my journey towards Nongkhai. Luckily, a bit later things cleared up again and the views along Rd 2195 were quite nice as part of the road had been upgraded with large sweeping curves.

IMG_5324.jpg

IMG_5325.jpg

On the way, before heading to Nongkhai, I had a look at the Tha Li - Kenethao border crossing. On the Thai side they are now finally replacing the containers which housed Customs and Immigration. The new building is a bit in a Thai style but in my opinion the new Customs House right next to the border crossing building does not really fit in with its surroundings

IMG_5326.jpg

IMG_5327.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice shot Auke.

IMG_5275.jpg

Great story. I love this area along the Laos border with very beautiful landscapes and amanzing motorbike roads and endless kurves. I hope we ride it again this year.

Some great Buddha shots there Auke. It reminded me that Reed mentioned that the huge wooden Buddha (world's largest?) in Ou Tai, north of Phongsali, Laos has now been ruined and no where near as beautiful as it used to be.

Back
Top Bottom