Chiang Mai Movie Night! Bombies & Most Secret Place On Earth

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Chiang Mai Movie Night! "Bombies" & "The Most Secret Place On Earth" (both related to the secret air war in Laos 1964-1973)

We've kindly been given a copy of 2 documentary movies related the USA's secret air war on Laos during 1964-1973. We're planning a movie night in Chiang Mai on a projector screen to show both movies.

bombieimage.jpg

1st movie is "Bombies" :
"Between 1964 and 1973 the United States conducted a secret air war, dropping over 2 million tons of bombs and making tiny Laos the most heavily bombed country in history. Millions of these 'cluster bombs' did not explode when dropped, leaving the country massively contaminated with 'bombies' as dangerous now as when they fell 30 years ago.

Bombies examines the problem of unexploded cluster bombs through the personal experiences of a group of Laotians and foreigners and argues for their elimination as a weapon of war. Unfortunately they are still a standard part of the US arsenal and were dropped in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq"

More about this documentary here: http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/bombie.html

& a preview here:

[center:p0jpd2yi]
[/center:p0jpd2yi]

2nd movie is "The Most Secret Place on Earth" :
"The Most Secret Place on Earth does its best to communicate the horrors suffered as a war machine, built in the shadow of a larger war. Still, it is hard not to feel that this something beyond human comprehension. The “secret war” is, as the film implies, an ancestor of today’s U.S. wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. But far from being the mold which contemporary wars were forged, the film depicts a war that is a nightmarish synthesis of total war and colonialism, a war in which two of the mist deadly manifestations of twentieth century violence culminate."

More about this documentary here: http://www.tomvater.com/laos/the-mo...untain-documentary-festival-of-qinghai-china/

Just finalizing the dates and will announce where and when.

Re: Chiang Mai Movie Night! Bombies & Most Secret Place On E

Been reading a bit about this, very interesting indeed....

Cant find a copy of it any where..?? any ideas where we can buy it

Good luck with the screening...

Maybe you can get Bombies from COPE Visitor Centre in Vientiane, Laos.
I think I saw it there
http://www.copelaos.org

Thanks Alex, will take a look...

(you from Cambridge)??

KTMChris - check your PM. Doubt that COPE will have a copy - price is 250 USD and you can rent the movie for 85USD. Got a copy of Bombies in Phonsavan a few months ago through some Vietamese contacts.

ktmchris- been living in & around cambridge 30years-back there on saturday for 3 weeks-
you're the guy on the 300? need something there? I'm leaving here thursday am

Hi Alex, yeah met you in riders, I'm from Cambridge..

can you bring some some sun shine??

May have a part that needs going back to CM, I'll pm you..

Thanks

have a good Journey and bring a jumper..

Absolutely great, count me in!!

The war in Laos is one of my pet hates/interests, there are plenty of books available through Asia books that covers the war: The Ravens, Air America, Tragedy in Paradise, Shooting at the Moon just to mention a few, actually the author of Tragedy in Paradise a Dr. Sheldon lived in Chiang Rai for many years after the war, not sure if he is still around or if he has moved back to the US.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom