Carnet de Passage for Thai Scooter

Blue88

Bikes
Tiger 955i, KLR 650, Tiger Retro 110
I'm looking to take my Thai registered Scooter (Tiger Retro 110) RTW:
East to West (Thailand to Thailand) and North to South (Alaska to Argentina
& Iceland to RSA)

Does anybody know where I can get a Carnet de Passage for a Thai registered bike?
Malaysia registered = no problem, but I can't see any history of Carnets for Thai registered Bikes

Any help greatly appreciated

Geoff

The RAC in the UK are usually very helpful

http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/carnet-de-passage/

More here on ATA Carnets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATA_Carnet

http://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... VMZ1odssuQ

Blue88 said:
I'm looking to take my Thai registered Scooter (Tiger Retro 110) RTW:
East to West (Thailand to Thailand) and North to South (Alaska to Argentina
& Iceland to RSA)

Does anybody know where I can get a Carnet de Passage for a Thai registered bike?
Malaysia registered = no problem, but I can't see any history of Carnets for Thai registered Bikes

Any help greatly appreciated

Geoff

RTW on a 110cc scooter...??
notworthy.gif

Thailand is not a signatory to the carnet system (ata not cpd) hence you won't get one in Thailand..

Paul at RAC uk will issue one once you get the paperwork to romanize the Thai script of the rego.

I can't help but think the costs of a carnet, make using a cheap scooter impractical.

LivinLOS said:
Thailand is not a signatory to the carnet system (ata not cpd) hence you won't get one in Thailand..

Paul at RAC uk will issue one once you get the paperwork to romanize the Thai script of the rego.

I can't help but think the costs of a carnet, make using a cheap scooter impractical.

Any licensed ATA carnet issuer can issue you a Carnet de Passage, it is not geographically restrictive, they are just agents. the 3 most popular seem to be the German Automobile Association, The RAC in the UK & the Canadian Automobile Association.

Ata carnet totally different than a cpd carnet Phil.. Think your mixing and matching 2 types..

The ata which Thailand is a signatory of, is for commercial use, for merchandise, for a company moving equipment, or Motorsport temporary import etc.. The ata carnet is not designed (tho I am sure it has sometimes been miss used) for private persons moving road legally registered vehicles.

The cpd carnet (carnet du passages et Duane if memory serves) is the 'vehicle carnet' which is issued by various bodies..

You have to have an ATA license to be able to issue CDP

LivinLOS said:
Ata carnet totally different than a cpd carnet Phil.. Think your mixing and matching 2 types..

The ata which Thailand is a signatory of, is for commercial use, for merchandise, for a company moving equipment, or Motorsport temporary import etc.. The ata carnet is not designed (tho I am sure it has sometimes been miss used) for private persons moving road legally registered vehicles.

The cpd carnet (carnet du passages et Duane if memory serves) is the 'vehicle carnet' which is issued by various bodies..

You sure.. When I looked into this they were 2 totally separate organizations.. With the ATA being issued by the chamber or commerce and CPD by motoring bodies.

Thailand does accept the ATA system, I exchanged info with someone who claimed to have brought a car in on a ATA carnet to Thailand, without a cash bond, which you cant do with a CPD.

Back
Top Bottom