Cardo Scala G4

dellboy218

Bikes
Honda NC750X
For anyone who is tempted to buy one of these or indeed anyone that already owns one, just a word of caution.
A friend brought one out from the UK last year for me. Two weeks later part of it was lost on the road from Pai.
For those that do not know. The cardo Scala G4 comprises of a base module complete with boom mic and a plug in communications module. This module contains most of the electronics and the battery. Being a plug-in device it makes it convenient for updating the software on the internet and charging. It also make sit convenient for un-plugging as well. I believe I accidentally dislodged it whilst putting my helmet on. It is in a position which gets covered by ones hand and if you tend to open the helmet up a little putting it on it is also easy for the fingers to slide.........the rest is history.
I sent an email to Cardo and suggested they might like to re-design their equipment with some kind of safety lock to prevent this from happening. One of their customer reps (Garth) Said send us back what you have got left. I duly carried out that request and Cardo sent me a brand new system. I never asked for it but boy was I chuffed, they aint cheap! So, to prevent the same thing happening again (I doubt very much whether Cardo would be so magnanimous again!) I have added a cable tie, pulled very tight on the base of the mic stem. The module slide out to the left, with the cable tie clip turned up even brute force will not move the comms module. With the clip rotated down it is free to move as normal.

Attachments

• G4 clip.jpg
    G4 clip.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 439
I have the Cardo G2 and its friction hold to the helmet rim isnt great, any adventure riding and it normally finds its way loose.

Well, In this case I am sure it was my fault entirely which I actually told Cardo although it wouldnt take much for them to put a failsafe lock on the module. The cable tie does the job admirably though and does not look too untidy. I am using the glue plate onto the helmet which seems to hang in there well enough. But, I imagine the performance of that might be stretched during serious dirt riding.

Back
Top Bottom