Car roof top tents

...make so much sense!

Until you have a gut full of beer & need to get up for a slash during the night.

...or as a mate found out, never take you dog camping & have it sleep in there with you.

onb7mDQ.jpg

So it arrives, heavier than i expected

image by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

If you go for the hard top configuration be very careful that you order the polypropylene type. There are Chinese companies using fiberglass whicg isnt a good idea to sleep inside.

Some have a wind-handle erection, this one has pneumatic rams same as the hatchback of a car and opens automatically when you release the latches

Rain cover entrances on both sides over the ladder (it comes with a telescopic ladder)

Netting on all windows

Sleeps 2 with plenty of space

I love the idea you can pull over and be sleeping in 10 minutes. Great way to deal with Thailand's rain and mud... I decided to build my own knowing I would probably destroy it one of my off road jungle adventures.

IMG_3485.jpg

This is the rig I'll mount it on... Also planning to have the option to mount it on my trailer.

IMG_3315.jpg

Other roof top tent options

The Front Runner. I personally prefer the hard top type.

1500407941-front-runner-roof-top-tent-tent031-8.jpg

Front Runner got its start in the rugged outdoors of South Africa, and has withstood the toughest terrain during expeditions around the world. Their low-profile roof top tent weighs less than 100 lbs. which helps save valuable fuel during those long treks. The tent is made from Oxford 400D tent fabric that is strong, breathable, mold resistant, and waterproof. A durable 1000D PVC cover protects the tent when not in use. Improve the usability of your vehicle by installing the tent with their new quick-release latches, that make loading and unloading your rooftop tent easier than ever.
Front Runner Outfitters

The Hard Top RTT - Start at USD$ 2,200

S
roof-top-tent-rain.jpg

These RTT's are known for quick deployment in all weather seamlessly with speed and little effort. The Soft Top Tents take more effort and time to deploy. The whole point of the Hard Shell Roof Top Tents is to relieve the Roof Top Tent owner from any problems and to offer the ease of simply turning the crank handle. The Hard Top RTT opens in seconds and closes just the same. If you are looking for easy up and easy down a Hard shell Roof Top Tentsis what you seek! Call or order online today. Seriously speaking the Hard Shell Roof Top Tents are superior to any Roof Top Tent ever built.

http://www.bigfoottents.com/hard-shell-roof-top-tents.html

[h=3]Yakima Skyrise -- Again soft top[/h]

gallery-1500409000-yakima-skyrise.jpg

Yakima has been in the roof rack game for years, and has recently unveiled the Skyrise rooftop tent that is available in small and medium sizes. The tent is made from 210D nylon which is light and breathable and includes mesh panels for ventilation and star gazing. The included rainfly has a waterproof PU coating, but it's best left off in the summer to enjoy expansive views.
Yakima Skyrise

[h=3]Tepui Baja Series[/h]

gallery-1500408565-tepui-baja-series.png

The Tepui Baja Series roof-top tents are the ideal solution for explorers who camp year-round. The tent utilizes a Zipper Gimp to attach the canopy to the tent base which allows you to interchange the canopy depending on the conditions: a mesh shade canopy for hot humid weather, a lightweight nylon rip-stop canopy for spring time, or an aluminized canopy for inclement weather. A detachable rainfly is also included. Only one type of canopy is included, but you can purchase additional canopies as needed.
Tepui Baja Series

[h=3]James Baroud Evasion - Fiberglass shell be careful![/h]

gallery-1461707443-dsc01103-edit-zpszgat5ue5.JPG

The James Baroud Evasion is a hard shell roof top tent that features a fiberglass polyester shell and provides sleeping space for two adults and a child. A solar powered vent built into the upper hull creates extra ventilation and can be reversed and used as an exhaust fan to prevent condensation buildup. Contact a local dealer for prices, but plan on spending a good amount for what's generally considered the top-of-the-line in roof top tents.
James Baroud Evasion

[h=3]Mombasa Adventure II[/h]

gallery-1461704070-screen-shot-2016-04-26-at-15406-pm.png

The popular Mombasa Adventure II roof top tent has been in production for a few years and is set to be re-released this summer. It sleeps 3 and is shown here mounted on an off-road trailer which gives you even more room for gear atop your car or truck. Like most tents, the frame is aluminum tubing and it also includes a 2 1/2-inch foam mattress. Previous models were priced around $800, making it one of the lower priced roof top tents available.
Mombasa Adventure II

[h=3]CVT Mt. Rainier -- Looks a huge pain in the ass to put away?[/h]

gallery-1461704778-screen-shot-2016-04-26-at-20516-pm.png

The CVT Mt. Rainier is huge with a sleeping area of 72 inches by 96. The drop-down annex is 8 feet square, providing more than enough room to enjoy reading and meals in a bug free environment, as well as additional space for campers. This roof top tent is available for $1,895 and can fit the whole family.
CVT Mt. Rainier

Cr: http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/outdoors/g2585/8-roof-top-tents/

I love the idea you can pull over and be sleeping in 10 minutes. Great way to deal with Thailand's rain and mud... I decided to build my own knowing I would probably destroy it one of my off road jungle adventures.

This is the rig I'll mount it on... Also planning to have the option to mount it on my trailer.

View attachment 54221

Wow, that is a nice rig with or without rooftop tent

How are you going to do the tent?

I'm going with something similar to this design.

151ed69dba66a2d297eebd8d28291f16.png

d518cdfe4b755664f88cee88658f8acd.png

I'll mount it forward so I can stand off the back to take a leak without needing to climb down the ladder [emoji1]

50e1a18287cb2d9b7c1b056cd5913d33.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time for the real life test. The hard shell tents are much heavier than you think, this one must be about 85kg. 2x people can lift it onto the roof of a pickup.

The good thing about this type of rooftop tent is that it's much more streamlined that the soft-top/ Iron Man type.

Longitudinal grooves for mounting plates with nuts and bolts to fasten to the roof rack at any point along the length.

First time raised up on the pneumatic rams & telescopic ladder in place

Time to test to see if the roof rack is strong enough

2x people inside, roof rack bars seem happy with all the weight

That looks very streamlined. I was looking at Roof Tents for my Discovery about 15 years ago so following this with interest.

It will need to be UV resistant/Stable here. White or Silver may have been better !?

These things shouldn't be all that expensive ?

The Iron Man rooftop tent is very popular in Australia. Friends who have it say the negative is that it is extremely high/ thick when packed on the roof. Setup and packup in the rain looks like a pain with all that fabric. Put away wet and will smell in no time.

iron man by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A new version of the hardtop tent. It is more spacious but you then have the fabric roof instead of the polypropylene hard top above you.

A wet pack-up looks a lengthy pain in the ass.

Are the hard shell tents available here in CNX?

Looking for one to put on my short wheelbase G-wagen.

TIA

Muchas gracias.

Yes, he has a wide range of imported roof tents, but is located in Loei province ติดต่อเรา.

Based upon previous experience with several different tent models in Namibia, the hardshell models are preferred (particularly in wet climates) and the lower the weight the better. Approximately 50kg would be ideal, but most tents on the market are more in the 70kg range.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom