Bus Service Chiangmai to Luang Prabang V.V.

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Saw sometime ago an article in the newspaper that a bus service between Chiangmai and Luang Prabang would be started but thought this to be some wishful thinking. Yesterday however, on my way back from Chiangkhong, I did spot a bus with the sign Thai-Lao International Bus on the road and after some searching found that there is now a daily bus in both direction between Chiangmai and Luang Prabang.

CNX to LPB Bus.jpg

In the first phase, transport by the second class air-conditioned buses from Chiang Mai will pick up passengers at the Chiang Rai and Chiang Khong then cross the border at Chiang Khong District-Bokeo province in Laos PDR. From there the travelers will switch to a bus from the Naluang Company to travel on to Luang Namtha, Udomxai and Luang Prabang. The toal travel time will be 18 hours with a fare of 1200 Baht. After the completion of the 4th Thai Laos Friendship Bridge across the Mekong River, Chiang Khong-Huay Xai (due to be completed in 2013) the service will change to first class air-conditioned buses with a fare of 1500 Baht (pictures courtesy of http://www.louangprabang.net)

CNX to LPB Map.jpg

From Alex UK:

"There also is a Udon Thani- Vientiane bus, run by green bus.
I was told you need to have a visa already to get on it, but it passed me a couple of times,6/8 times aday
Way better than local buses
It goes from Udon Thani bus station #1 I believe.
chiang mai overnight VIP 24 seat bus ends at bus station #2
best to book early if you can, I think only 1 company does 24 seater
As usual, dont expect anyone to tell you about these thngs, as the touts still want to make their money wasting your time driving you all around town..."

Back
Top Bottom