British Iron - 1954 / B-33 - In Thailand

DrGMIA

Pit stop after 6th ride around the world, in USA,
Bikes
Oldest 1931, newest 2016, numerous makes and models in between on several continents
While wandering around Thailand in early 2013 I spotted this purported BSA B-33. The tales of how some of the older motorcycles made their way into Thailand and are kept running usually have some interesting sidebars. Looking at this one I smiled at the collection of oil soaked newspapers.
BSA 01.jpg

Closer inspection noted some interesting work had been done to the primary chain drive, it having been converted to a belt drive, possibly to reduce the need for the oil bath.
BSA 02.jpg

Some weeks later I saw that progress had been further made. A cookie baking pan had been used to reduce the necessity for changing oil soaked newspapers. I've learned on some of my older motorcycles this is a far easier fix than trying to stop the oil leaks.
BSA 03.jpg

Go to the annual Thai Nakon nayok classic run and u will see hundreds of M21 and B33s most rescued from Burmese jungles

I've been going over the B31 that came out of Burma a couple of months ago. The modifications to it include a 12 volt alternator, CDI ignition and a Chinese carbie (which I'll take off). The standard of work is great in some areas, but there were lots of loose bolts, etc. The CDI sensor had fallen off due to loose bolts.... I've been using heaps of Loctite. I decided to give it its first start yesterday.... and it put me in hospital. I gave it a decent swing on the kickstarter and the pawls slipped... leading to a hyper-extended knee. (and me in a heap on the ground).

I'll pull the gearbox and go through it properly.

cont1_zps80db7b4e.jpg

Ouch! Knee job on the horizon....

In 2006 when I was riding around inside Burma, I spotted the below BSA parked on the street. It was still running.
Burma 2006 BSA.jpg

The below pictured Norton, had been dragged out of Burma. Had a Bing carb on it, far superior to the original, but still a b**** to start.
Burma Norton.jpg

And just for a laugh, the below '47 Indian Chief has been known to flip me over the handlebars if the manual spark advance (on the right hand end of the handlebar, throttle on the left hand end) was not retarded when cold starting. That was when I was in "racing trim," about 40-45 kilo lighter than now :-) Today, like you, I would just have a jammed or fat knee.
'47 Indian Chief.jpg

A guy gave a talk on how to start a big single Indian Enfield at 17,000 feet last October at a USA Horizons Unlimited Meeting. Bottom line was to pay the big money to go on an organized/packaged tour. Every morning it was the tour mechanics job to wipe down the bikes, then kick them to life and warm them up for the customers while the customers were eating breakfast. Smart money when related to hyper-extended or blown knees.

That '38 Norton now resides in my garage too, btw. Haven't got around to it yet.... Incidentally, when I stripped the frame down, I discovered Royal Indian Air Force markings. Its the same model that my father rode as a Despatch Rider during WW2

When I was in Thailand I'd heard you had "dragged" that Norton out of the jungles of Thailand to Australia. If it could talk I'd bet it'd have some interesting stories.

Ran across some other old Brit stuff in Wyoming, USA not long ago. This first one was likely the best oil leaker I've seen - it would run out about as fast as the guy could pour it in. No need for an oil filter.
Oil leaker.jpg

And this one I include because you may know the bike/entrant from Australia?
JAP.jpg

Nice Velocette! Would there be a B33 in Thailand for sale by any chance?
In fact I would consider any classic UK bike; Velo, Norton, Triumph or BSA.......

Nice Velocette! Would there be a B33 in Thailand for sale by any chance?
In fact I would consider any classic UK bike; Velo, Norton, Triumph or BSA.......

Marcel - There are plenty of BSA's still in Myanmar. It seems one of the easiest ways to source one, is to travel to Mae Sot at the Myanmar border. Ask around once you're there and you'll be introduced to brokers that can source and "bring in" all kinds of old motorcycles that are still in Myanmar.

Thanks Phil, I hardly get out of my chosen isolation in Chiang Rai so it is not easy for me to go see some brokers in Mae Sot.

Back
Top Bottom