Bringing Vintage Bike to Thailand

430xc

Bikes
Lots
Cheers ----

Does anyone have any recent information about how to bring a vintage motorcycle to Thailand. I have a 1978 Husqvarna 390 WR in the states that is just begging to be ridden in Thailand.

I have asked around some, and gotten a variety of answers, most of them not well documented.

Seems people are bringing in even newer bikes, e.g. trials bikes and others. I do not need a green book, since it will be offroad for the most part.

Any help would be more than greatly appreciated.

430xc

This may not be of much help, but it's what I know from others doing this mostly up till 3-4 years ago. If you're going to ship a bike in and don't want to pay ridiculous prices, do it in two different crates so it's taxed as parts vs complete bikes. There are rules to this, I believe motor and wheels being separated from the frame was the main point. When taxed, they will equate the tax based off of the total shipping cost and product cost and it is entirely up to them on what they feel the value should be. This is also where people run notorious problems, if customs wants to tax you sky high, they can. If they want to hold it in customs, they can. If they want to charge you a per day storage fee for extended periods of time while they hold your bike/parts, they can. Hopefully you come through easily, but one of several problems can happen. Thankfully though you can avoid the now ridiculous fee of registering the bike as it will be off road.

Don't know about a bike but we had a car shipped to Malaysia (low import tax) and then drove it into Thailand with California plates. Told them at the border we were driving to China on an extended vacation. They let the car in no problem. Of course we had a blue book for the car from a wrecked Thai car of the same brand and model waiting for us and the car is now permanently in Bangkok.

Back
Top Bottom