Bikes for Hire in Thakhaek, Laos

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
While passing through Thakeak on my recent trip found a new rental place. They only have new Honda's and at the moment they have 2 CRF 250 (38 USD/day), a Honda CRF 150 (30 UD/day), a Honda Zoomer 115 (25 USD/day) and a Honda Kick 115 (25 USD/day). They might have more bikes (forgot to ask) but these were standing in from of the shop. The owner is German and a mechanic (he is doing all the maintenance himself) and can be reached at dcn66@hotmail.de or at +856-20-59939909 or +856-20-23477799.

The outfit is called Mad Monkey Motorbike. They can also arrange bike tours and arrange Caving expeditions. Coordinates: N17 23.689 E104 48.225

View attachment 14074

By the way, the guy provides photocopies of a German map to customers who rent a bike from him complete with trip details, etc. as he is not happy with the level of detail of the GT Rider Laos map (which he sells also). I have ordered this German map and it looks very similar to the Gecko map in terms of details but it is much more durable as the German map is printed on a kind of plastic (similar to the North Thailand off-road map). If I have time I will post a picture of it and provide the details of where you can order the map.

If I have time I will post a picture of it and provide the details of where you can order the map.

OK, the German Laos map is made by "Reise Know How" and is part of their World Mapping Project (Reise Know-How Verlag online). The scale is 1:600,000 versus 1:750,000 for the Gecko Map and 1.1,650,000 for the GT Rider map. The Reise Know How map is printed on waterproof paper and the paper is tear proof. The Gecko map is printed on normal paper while the GT Rider map is printed on laminated paper. Here is a picture of the 3 maps:

View attachment 14827

And here are screenshots of the Oudomxay area showing the differences in the map details of the three maps. These screenshots also show that the Reise Know How map and the Gecko map are based on the same data set (National Geograhic Department of Lao PDR).

The Reise Know How map
View attachment 14830

The Gecko Map
View attachment 14829

The GT Rider map
View attachment 14828

I have all 3 maps. I like that the "Reise know how" is water and tear proof and also very detailed. It's also very soft and easy to fold without it getting crumpled. I love the look of the "Gecko map" and it's also very detailed like the "Reise know how" map, but the paper tears and crumples easily and it does not like water. I like that the gt rider map is water proof, very sturdy and the distance in km between every small town is clearly marked. Makes it great for planning trips. But it is not as detailed as the other two maps and it doesn't fold well.

I never travel with a GPS so I usually bring all 3 maps with me :G

Good info thanks B D

I have all 3 maps. I like that the "Reise know how" is water and tear proof and also very detailed. It's also very soft and easy to fold without it getting crumpled. I love the look of the "Gecko map" and it's also very detailed like the "Reise know how" map, but the paper tears and crumples easily and it does not like water. I like that the gt rider map is water proof, very sturdy and the distance in km between every small town is clearly marked. Makes it great for planning trips. But it is not as detailed as the other two maps and it doesn't fold well.

I never travel with a GPS so I usually bring all 3 maps with me :G

Never sent from an I-Phone

While passing through Thakeak on my recent trip found a new rental place. They only have new Honda's and at the moment they have 2 CRF 250 (38 USD/day), a Honda CRF 150 (30 UD/day), a Honda Zoomer 115 (25 USD/day) and a Honda Kick 115 (25 USD/day). They might have more bikes (forgot to ask) but these were standing in from of the shop. The owner is German and a mechanic (he is doing all the maintenance himself) and can be reached at dcn66@hotmail.de or at +856-20-59939909 or +856-20-23477799.

The outfit is called Mad Monkey Motorbike. They can also arrange bike tours and arrange Caving expeditions. Coordinates: N17 23.689 E104 48.225

View attachment 14074

The bikes may be new but the owner has terrible customer service. I Do Not Recommend Renting From Here.

I have led group Biking/Cycling tours into Laos for over 5 years (personal friends). I have rented from all the bike shops available in Thakhaek and know the conditions of all the vehicles and the customer service skills of every owner. I chose to rent from this place because it was new in town (3 months) and I wanted to start a good working relationship – big mistake.

We rented 2 bikes. I had a spill into a dirt ditch and damaged several things; plastic panel, rearview mirror, turning light, etc. Upon return the German owner was irate. Cursing, accusing me of lying, throwing tools on the floor and threatening to call the police (seriously, in Laos?). I wanted to pay for all the damages in full so I could get home (Thailand), but he wouldn’t give me a price quote and held on to my passport until the next day. He wanted to wait for a mechanic.

The next morning I arrive and waited. No mechanic. His wife hands me a bill. I take her word for it and graciously pay over $173 dollars worth of damage (bikes were $35 USD to rent). This is not about money. I was willing to pay for everything; I just needed my passport to get to my family. I apologized for the damages and cordially advised him to have some professional courtesy while doing business in Laos. He, in brash German fashion turned around and walked away.

He says he is German and prides himself in quality and efficiency. No one cares about quality or efficiency if you have no respect for other human beings. Working in Laos, RELATIONSHIPS is key. Your business won’t be around long if you can’t respect customers.

Additionally, he showed no respect to my local Lao friend and rents to foreigners only.
My tours will never use this place.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Vendors 0