Bike security

Territorian

Bikes
Honda Africa Twin, CB500X
G'day guys
I'm looking at buying an Adventure style bike while living in Vietnam and as anyone that has ridden there will know this type of bike is not very common in Vietnam and I'm a little worried this type of bike could be a big target for thieves. I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum riding this type of bike over here and have you had any problems.
Cheers.

Don't have any answers for you apart from a tip I saw in a YouTube video from a rider riding in Africa on a GS. He always covered his bike with a waterproof bike cover. May seem simple but it stops people seeing what a tempting bike you have underneath.

I was riding an SL230 Honda through Vietnam from March to late April this year and didn't have any problems. The trick is to keep the bike indoors and/or out of sight and if travelling pick hotels that have secure night time parking. The Vietnamese like to park all their staff's bikes in the hotel reception area at night and usually customers bikes too, then they either lock the door or have a night guard in the reception. Some hotels of course can't do this and will either have a lockable front gate and/or an area out of sight of the street to park overnight. Ask at hotel receptions what they do with bikes, sometimes if they don't have their own faclity they might even use another hotels secure parking area by arrangement.
I also had an old phone with a tracker app hidden on the bike (keep it charged, permanently switched on and remove the on/off switch) but if the bike was parked inside I didn't worry much about it being nicked.

I was riding an SL230 Honda through Vietnam from March to late April this year and didn't have any problems. The trick is to keep the bike indoors and/or out of sight and if travelling pick hotels that have secure night time parking. The Vietnamese like to park all their staff's bikes in the hotel reception area at night and usually customers bikes too, then they either lock the door or have a night guard in the reception. Some hotels of course can't do this and will either have a lockable front gate and/or an area out of sight of the street to park overnight. Ask at hotel receptions what they do with bikes, sometimes if they don't have their own faclity they might even use another hotels secure parking area by arrangement.
I also had an old phone with a tracker app hidden on the bike (keep it charged, permanently switched on and remove the on/off switch) but if the bike was parked inside I didn't worry much about it being nicked.
Cheers for the reply yes we have done that at hotels in the past. The old phone is an interesting idea I'll keep that in mind.

One free way is to reverse the wires on the kill switch.

Also put a hidden kill switch in the starter circuit.

Cheers for that Phil thats something I hadn't thought of. This could be very worth while.
Cheers Dave.

Back
Top Bottom