Bike Recommendations

BuleGila

Hi All, I'm new here.
I was hoping I'd get some opinions on choosing a motorbike as I am still in the "beginner stages" of motorcycles (been riding the odd 150cc, either enduro or street for a few months now.)

It's getting time to buy - I am very tall and don't fit on bikes like the Ninja or CBR. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the new Vixion and the KLX (I'd be looking at the 150cc).

Alternatively, I can check out some more "classic" antique bikes, but I'm not sure if they're suited for a newbie.

Thanks for any pointers.

I'll agree with that. It will cover distances relatively easily, mine cruises happily at 100kph, but also fun when the going gets rough. And not a huge initial outlay. Would love a bit more poke though, will be reading the tuning articles avidly. I loike the idea of a big bore kit with a quality forged piston to keep the reciprocating weight the same and a CBR 250 throttle body and ecu.
T.

If you're tall, the KLX150 is likely to be too small - even if you mod to 21/18 wheels.

I'm about 6ft and 70kg - if I was taller or heavier then doubt I'd fit my bike.

No CRF 250L!!! Spend the 12000 THB more for a KLX and you´ll never regret it. Except, when you have to clean the airfilter.
@ CRS, if you like to sell your 150/175, please give me a call. 086-9212570

No CRF 250L!!! Spend the 12000 THB more for a KLX and you´ll never regret it. Except, when you have to clean the airfilter.
@ CRS, if you like to sell your 150/175, please give me a call. 086-9212570

Harry what about all the broken klx frames we're seeing ? Kawasaki are refusing to cover this under warranty. Doesn' t seem to be a one-off problem, there are a few. There hasn't been one broken crf 250 l frame yet that I know of...

Never sent from an I-Phone

Hi All,

Thanks for the great feedback!

I am over 6 foot tall, so it's worth knowing the KLX150 might not suit me... I've tested it and it felt alright, but I definitely have issues with the center of gravity in corners.

I am not really looking to do much off road, which is why I also had my eye on things like the Yamaha V-Ixion (very affordable at +/- 2000 USD) as I'm based in Indonesia. An alternative would be something like the Byson, Tiger, etc. I've tried a Honda CBR, but I feel like I'm too big for it also.

As for the CRF...I haven't seen it on offer by any Honda dealerships here :(

EDIT: I should also add that people have been dissuading me from going for a 250+cc because I've only spent about a year on motorcycles.

Hi again.
If you're over 6' you're probably a fair weight so I would not consider anything less than a 250. I am @150lbs and the CRF struggles up some of the steeper passes. I hired a CBR last year and found that whether you want to go off road or not, sooner or later you will have no choice.
As for the KLX/CRF debate, although I admit I have not ridden a KLX my thoughts were why spend more on an older design of Kwak when you can have Honda's build quality and reputation, lots of parts and servicing options, then spend what you saved on tweaks to suit you.
T.

I admit I have not ridden a KLX my thoughts were why spend more on an older design of Kwak when you can have Honda's build quality and reputation, lots of parts and servicing options, then spend what you saved on tweaks to suit you.
T.

IMO the 'older design' was built to less of a budget.. The forks, various cost saving elements.. I also find the Honda to be a bit plastik'ey..

Where the Honda would win would be for those of shorter legs, as it felt lower seat height (is it really ??) and lower c of g..

Not that both cant be 'dressed up'.. seen some serious money put into motard CRF's..

OK I admit.. I am a total magpie.. Shiny bits, carbon, anodized..

8452478990_e722916c5d_b.jpg

8452478612_3a66f5dc56_c.jpg

8451388521_e7aa300b5d_c.jpg

OOHHH that's nice !!!!

V pretty but I'd prefer a std 'Q' bike with more go!

Sure but in this market you work with whats there..

Given the race teams experience with the CBR250s I am surprised to not have read more about hopped up ones.

Same as I am surprised that the programmable ECU for the KLX didnt result in many many Bill Blue 352cc big bored Kwaks. Matts KLX300 canb conversion being one of the few.

Back
Top Bottom