Ben Fortt's UK adventure starts at Snetterton this weekend

barrygrussell

Bikes
Kawasaki Z800, Yamaha Mio
Originally published on Garage49

View attachment 15455
Ben testing at Mallory
park in February

Benjamin Fortt will make a piece of history for Thai motorsport this weekend when he begins his international racing career at Snetterton in Round One of the Hottrax MotoGrande 1000 Champioship. He is the first of his countrymen ever to race in a UK motorcycle racing series.

Thailand's 2012 rookie superbike champion, who turned 19 in February, will be racing a BMW S1000RR with SBKCity Racing, the team for whom Brazilian, Rhalf Lo Turco claimed the Hottrax big bike championship last season.

While the weather has limited testing time, the Thai youngster impressed at Mallory Park on 17th February, lapping comfortably at a competitive race pace in the unfamiliar cold temperatures. While it was originally Fortt's cool head that won him the nickname 'Iceman', he has further proved his credentials by taking the British winter in his stride since his arrival at the end of January.

Speaking from the caravan he is sharing with his English father, Keith, Ben said, "I am excited about this weekend. The track and the series are both unknown to me, so I will take it in stages and build up steadily. I love the BMW, which seems to handle as well as the Honda I raced in Thailand, but it has a lot more power.

"Being with SBK City is brilliant because they are so professional have a lot of experience. That gives me the confidence to get on and focus on my riding and do the job as well as I can."

Fortt's progressive approach to racing has been evident throughout his career, which began at the age of 14 in motocross. He took a step towards tarmac by moving to supermoto, finishing third in Thailand's Grade A Pro-Class national championship in 2010. He was 17 when he first raced a superbike in 2011 and moved quickly through the ranks to take the national rookie title in 2012, claiming a podium finish at his first attempt as he graduated to the SB-1 Pro-Class at the end of the season.

The Hottrax event will run on the Snetterton 300 circuit, which, at 4.8km (3 miles) is the second longest track in the UK and double the length of the tracks in Thailand that Fortt has competed on so far. With average lap speeds approaching 150km/h (more than 90mph) it is also a lot faster, which will suit the outright power of the BMW and provide an exciting challenge for the Thai newcomer.

Plans for 2013 include wild-card entries in selected Pirelli National Superstock 1000 rounds, in which he will join teammate Lo Turco, who is doing a full season in the championship.

The Iceman's progress will be watched closely by his army of fans in Thailand and by long term sponsors, CEA Projects and Shark Helmets, which are supporting Fortt's international adventure.

Back
Top Bottom