Auke Koopman's Memorial

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS

Auke is seen here with his wife Sopha.​

The 18th of June 2019 marks the first year of the passing of our dear friend Auke, as many may know he was instrumental not only in forming Ride Asia but also producing some of the best mappings of Northern Thailand and Laos we are ever likely to see, his kindness and willingness to help others was something we all could take a lesson from.

Ride Asia made a promise to Auke's family we would honour his life in some way and although a venue in Laos would be more fitting as this was his passion, the logistics of getting riders and trucks into the country as a group will prove difficult.

Ride Asia proposes an orphanage, school or small village be located that would welcome donations on an annual basis in Thailand and perhaps a memorial plague of some kind be erected at such a place.

If any members know of such a place please let us know, this is a non-commercial event to give an opportunity to the riding community to come together in some small way to show our thanks and appreciation to a great man.

Donation's of toy's food and clothing would be welcomed as things are finalised.

Thank you all for your support in advance.

We will donate in cash for both the project and the memorial plague.
As Auke often rode into Laos with members of the Thai Lao Cambodia Brotherhood, is it an option to reach out to them?

Marcel, indeed there is, also you be aware Auke's close friend in the TLCB Mac Thompson sadly also passed away on the 17th of December 2018 so something could be incorporated.

I will try to reach out to the TLCB, via Facebook Messenger.

Firstly a big thank you to all who have messaged me of villages and schools that would benefit from donations of some kind as part of a memorial to our dear friend Auke.

The initial idea was to find one location and visit each year, with so many members putting locations forward I suggest we choose a new venue each year.

One name that kept coming up was "Mlabri" the Mlabri are the quintessential endangered minority groups, the village located off the 1091 numbers only 185 people now after sickness ravaged the village a few years ago. The once nomadic people are now in a small settlement and the survive working in the fields for the local Hmong people.

I recently visited the village of Huai Yuak check the current situation, the village almost empty since all the able-bodied would be working in the fields, there is now a small nursery school a stark contrast to the rest of the buildings in the village, I met with the cheerful village spiritual leader but as I walked around taking pictures you could not help but notice a sadness in the eyes of the elders in the village.

Below is a short video put together by forum member JB and some shots taken a few days ago by myself, the village is located around 35km from Nan, access is all paved now although the road into the village is rather steep.

As we talk further with the village administrator we will post up further information on how to donate and the time and date for all those who wish to come along.

Thanks for your support.

Demonstrating how they made a fire in the jungle.

Village spiritual leader.

They make a variety of baskets and bags to help supplement their earnings, all made with natural dyes and fibres.

Communal shower area.

Last edited:
Just to update, the event is planned for Saturday the 22nd of June at 11am at Huai Yuak Mlabri village location is N18.81587° E100.52799° ALL are welcome, the village plans to put on some kind of tribal show for us that morning.

More information on the Mlabri people here. ชาวเขาเผ่าต่างๆ ในประเทศไทย - ชนเผ่ามาลาบรี (มละ) หรือ ผีตองเหลือง โดยสวัสดีดอทคอม

I will ask Auke's son for a suitable picture of his father to be hung up in the nursery school.

May I suggest for people that want to attend, maybe an overnight stop in Nan, I am sure Sean @ the Crossroads will lay on a spread once numbers are confirmed.

As mentioned early the roads are all paved, even a standard saloon will have no trouble reaching the village.

Want to donate?

Essential items required

Food of all kind's
Rice
Dried noddles
Packs of children's biscuits
Toothpaste sets & soap
Washing detergent
Bottle water, the village has a huge water problem
Batteries & headlamps
Flip Flops (all sizes)
Book's etc for school
Sealed cash donations on the day
Any other items you feel may help

They do not require the kid's toy's or clothes, neither is a priority to them

Please try and support this event in any way you can, thank you.

Please PM me if your planning to come along so i can notify the village.

Things are progressing nicely in Planning the event for the 22nd Of June 2019 at the Mlabri village, Sietse, Aukes son has kindly put forward this picture which we will have framed and suitably inscribed to be hung in the school on the day.

If you are interested in attending please contact PM so accommodation can be arranged if required.

Auke Mem Picture.jpg

Thank you very much to our oversea's members who have kindly donated funds to Aukes memorial event so far, if anybody wishes to further contribute or come along on the 22nd of June, please PM me directly, all donations large or small are most welcome.

Thanks once again to all who have shown interest so far in this event, here is a picture we plan to leave in the nursery school as a mark of respect to our friend Auke.

20190610_131221.jpg

All have a great and safe ride.
sadly I will not be abel to attend, due to work commitments here in China.
RIP Auke.

Final preparations are now underway for Aukes memorial on Saturday the 22nd of this month, it looks like we will have a good turn out for the Friday and Saturday, below is the itinerary for those wishing to come along and join us.

Friday the 21st arrive in Nan, meet up with the rest of the riders and truck drivers at The Crossroads in Nan, Sean will be serving cold beer and amongst other favourites, his Aussie Burger, while away the evening and catch up with old friends.

N18.78527 E100.78106

Google map

Crossroads Nan Restaurant

Nearby Guesthouses.

Google map

N18.78600 E100.77831

Google map

Phoemphoon2 Hotel

Ban Suan Huean GH Nan

N18.78555 E100.78248

Google map

Ban Suan Huean GH Nan

Saturday morning around 8.30 am, Sean is laying out a breakfast buffet for us all at a modest cost before we head out to the Milabri village, a packed lunch will be available to take with you since there are no facilities in the village, leave Nan around 9.45 am.

Meet up with or riders and drivers at the junction of the 1091 and 4002 at 10.30 N18.86987 E100.55281 head off to the village to arrive at 11 am.

Here is a map of the village, as you can see it is VERY small, the road in is newly paved so no problems there, a small turn around / parking spot at the end of the village, otherwise park next to the school if possible.

Village layout.png

We plan to spend a good few hours at the village to try to understand more about the Mlabri and their needs for the future, some hand made bags and other items may be available for purchase if you wish. We will unload all donations into the village school and hang the picture of Auke in the school to remain there, feel free to wander the village as you wish and take pictures.

After returning to Nan, we have arranged for the Pu Som (Cowboy Restaurant) N18.78006 E100.78243 Pu-Som Restaurant to provide some live music for us starting around 6 pm. They have an extensive Thai menu plus we have arranged for some typical farang food to be laid on for those who want it. The restaurant is owned by the president of the Al Capone MC club in Nan and sure to be a lot of fun into the early hours as we raise a glass to Auke.

I would like to thank everyone who has already made donations or plan on bringing along foodstuffs for this event to remember our friend and true gentleman Auke.

Back
Top Bottom