Another electric coming of age story.

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
"Holy s##t!" ? the amazing Zero SR electric motorcycle blows our minds

It's been about three years since we last tested one of Zero Motorcycles' electric bikes, and in that time, the company has been very busy. Compared to the 2011 Zero S, the 2014 Zero SR has between 200-400 percent more everything – riding this bike was an absolutely shocking progress report on the state of the art. The SR represents a liminal moment in motorcycling. We may look back in years to come and see this as the first time an electric motorcycle stood shoulder to shoulder with petrol powered bikes, and made them feel like yesterday's heroes.

When we last rode the Zero S about three years ago, we came away thinking "what a nice little commuter, shame about the battery range."

Things have changed, and in a big way. The graphs below tell the story. Zero motorcycles have been on a steady diet of protein shakes, creatine and anabolic steroids in the last few years, and boy has the gym work paid off.

Just to ram the point home, here's how the 2014 Zero SR compares to the 2011 S: it has a 3.2 times bigger battery, almost 4 times the range, just under 2.7 times the power, 2.4 times the torque and a 50 percent higher top speed. Oh, and the battery's service life is nearly four and a half times what it used to be – the SR will go nearly half a million kilometers (310,000 mi) before the battery drops to 80 percent of its normal range.

On paper, that's a gigantic leap forward. In the saddle, it's absolutely spectacular. I went around the block ONCE in sports mode, then came running in shouting "holy shit!" to anyone who would listen. Then I rang as many biker friends as I could get at short notice, and stuck all of them on the SR to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

I wasn't – this is the sort of bike that flips switches in people's brains. Every single dyed-in-the-wool, petrolhead biker that took this thing around the block said a different version of the same thing: wow, that's awesome, I want one.

The Numbers

The Zero puts out just under 70 peak horsepower (50 kW) and a monstrous 106 ft-lbs (144 Nm) of torque. That's about 10 percent more than the 1200cc EBR 1190RX, the current torque king of the superbike world. Its kerb weight is 452 lbs (205 kg). But the bike feels much, much smaller and lighter than that, and the power figures don't really tell the whole story either. A decent comparison in the petrol world might be something the size and handling feel of a nimble 250cc nakedbike, but with the power of a 600.

Riding this thing is a transcendent experience. The performance and acceleration feel absolutely excessive in the way all the best bikes do. There's no clutch or gears, it's pure simplicity to ride, provided you can keep the slim rear tire from spinning up in the wet.

Full throttle from a standstill causes the SR to leap forward in a much more urgent fashion than its predecessors, and it gathers speed and power furiously as it heads for its governed 100 mph (160 km/h) top speed. It dispatches traffic in the blink of an eye and hits 60 mph (~100 km/h) in a brutal 3.3 seconds – all with an addictive, turbine-like electric whine from the motor.

Brings a whole new world to the silent but deadly terminology, but at 70HP that's a whole lot of fun but yet another charger to carry on longer trip's :?

Cost is of course still a big limiting factor but we will see more and more use of higher efficiency motors with far higher output per Kg and without heat limitations as time goes on. Electrical motors built in carbon fiber and carbon-carbon composite, using Lutz-wire windings and Halbach Arrays will become the state of the art technology allowing the same output at half the weight of a conventional motor.

Brings a whole new world to the silent but deadly terminology, but at 70HP that's a whole lot of fun but yet another charger to carry on longer trip's :?

Imagine Bob, travelling with a light little umbrella that you open and plug in when you need juice...every surface of your bike converting sun rays to electricity as well while you travel...a small gadget that sniffs and grabs every stray magnetic wave and feeds it to your battery.

The energy density for batteries (time to charge and amount that can be stored) is still far from that of Diesel, Gasoline, Ethanol, Propane and NatGas. With today's known materials we have pretty much exhausted any possible combinations and have pushed electrical storage near the boundaries of physics. Though I believe that charging times with today's Lithium-polymer-metal batteries has become fairly acceptable and something we can live with. The range can be improved with higher efficiency motors and charging abilities while we're on the move.

I do love my clutching and gear shifting, the roar of my engine...the vibrations under my ass...feedback that is part of the pleasure isn't it...but gears and clutch can be added to an electric motor as well and would actually even allow a little increased in range.

I would certainly not shy away from doing any trip, even an extreme adventure trip on a properly set-up electric bike, just to prove that it can be done and that it actually can be done without serious limitations when compared to a petrol engine.

this is a very nice bike..100kmh in 3.3sec ..wow! wondering how would work the import and all..really like the idea .there is a dealer in HK.I dropped them a line

Back
Top Bottom