An old newbie...

Belker74

Bikes
xrv750, crf450, cr500, moto morini 3 1/2, Yamaha HL500, Dnepr 650MT
Hi y'all,

I have to admit that I am not new to the site, but I never was a great contribute either. Not being a Thai resident there is not much one can add to the wisdom of the locals, right?
Anyway, every year I make a one week off-road trip in the Chiang Mai area, my Thai girlfriend works in a Bangkok mall and I can take it just about a week, then I have to escape. Going like this for 5 years now...

Dining in Pai I invited a friend to join me on my trips and this year he's coming too.

Last year I nearly had to spend a night outside because I got lost on some backroad between Fang and Pai, I didn't really like that feeling... I did carry two maps, Auke's RideAsia.net map and the GTRider Golden Triangle loop one, but both lacked the comfort of a real topo map... both good maps, but still I often missed some needed information.

So for this year I decided to go GPS...
As I learned from the site the Garmin Montana 650 is the weapon of choice? I am getting one soon.
Many times I read topics and trip reports, but the idea of using GPS assistance is new to me, so all help there is welcome.

My trip this year will start in Chiang Mai and as usual, rent a bike at Mr Mechanics', or maybe I'll rent a Honda at CP or Pop's? I'll see what's available.

The trip will be:
day 1: Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai,
day 2: Chiang Rai - Fang,
day 3: Fang - Pai,
day 4: Pai loop, see Mae Hong Son, Crashed Huey site?
day 5: Pai - Chiang Mai,

Going though the trip reports now I come across some lovely tracks, I just need to figure out how I have to use those in that Garmin. How do I do so?

As you can imagine, I still got a lot of work to do, so any help and advice is most welcomed and will be rewarded in a liquid way if the opportunity comes. Meet in Bikers' Corner?

Anyway, we'll be there last week of November, so if anyone feels like joining just let me know.

Thanks for your attention so far,
B'74.

Belated welcome, posting is not obligatory on RA but always welcome. Nice routes you have planned with plenty of off road options, i assume you will be renting a CRF or similar, there are off road options from Chiang Rai to Mae Salong and then Thaton around to Fang and continue on/off road to Wieng Haeng and ride over the moutains to the Huey and down to Pai. So many options, i am sure we can help you out with using the Garmin and planning routes, have fun :dirtbike:

Yes, I guess we will be able to help with the Montana and add a GPS map to it for the North of Thailand with tons of offroad tracks. When will you arrive in Chiangmai?

Here is a screenshot of the GPS map of the north-west corner of the North Thailand GPS map showing plenty of offroad tracks and trails.

Capture.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile I got my Garmin gizmo and I'm learning the basics now. On the other hand, my Russian partner in crime cancelled his trip. Guess his lovely little misses didn't trust her boy going to LOS... Anyway now I can reschedule the trip as pleases myself.

Indeed, Bob, I am planning on renting a KLX or a CRF, only to bad that the seats on those spongy bikes are a real pain on the ... especially that belt across. This year I bring some basic tools too and remove that belt first thing.

Anyway, lots of work to do still...

B'74

drop me a line when u are around ,I live in Pai ,maybe join u for the helicopter trail if I have time ;)

Thanks for the responses guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile I got my Garmin gizmo and I'm learning the basics now. On the other hand, my Russian partner in crime cancelled his trip. Guess his lovely little misses didn't trust her boy going to LOS... Anyway now I can reschedule the trip as pleases myself.

Indeed, Bob, I am planning on renting a KLX or a CRF, only to bad that the seats on those spongy bikes are a real pain on the ... especially that belt across. This year I bring some basic tools too and remove that belt first thing.

Anyway, lots of work to do still...

B'74

Thanks for the advice Gnasher, I can give it a try and Forest, I very well might need someone to show me the way up there, cuz my BaseCamp is giving me headaches, so I might as well leave the Garmin at home.Guess I could ask for some advice on that in another section...

Thanks for the advice Gnasher, I can give it a try and Forest, I very well might need someone to show me the way up there, cuz my BaseCamp is giving me headaches, so I might as well leave the Garmin at home.Guess I could ask for some advice on that in another section...

we-ll be exploring tomorrow sunday,possibly overnight somewhere in the mountains..who knows where !keep in touch :ride:

Always ready to help with maps, GPS tracks, GPS, Basecamp or Mapsource. Just let me know when you are in Chiangmai and just give me a call at +66-81-8813031. However, I am travelling quite a bit and I have 3 trips planned for this year to Laos. One for later this month and one around Christmas (no fixed dates yet) and one trip to Long Chieng (LS 20a) in Laos from 6-14 December.

Dates are set.
I had more troubles installing Basecamp then I'd expected. I didn't get the time to learn the use of the Montana, so it'll be a learn-as-I-go experience...
I'll arrive in Chiang Mai 29/11 and leave 1/12
next stop will be Chiang Rai (2/12 - 3/12)
then ride for Fang (4/12)
next stop Pai (5/12 - 6/12)
on 5/12 I'd like to do that Huey-trip... (offer still on, Forest?)
then it's back to Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phu Wiang...

Some trip hmm? wish I had some more time there, really envy you guys out there

Dates are set.
I had more troubles installing Basecamp then I'd expected. I didn't get the time to learn the use of the Montana, so it'll be a learn-as-I-go experience...
I'll arrive in Chiang Mai 29/11 and leave 1/12
next stop will be Chiang Rai (2/12 - 3/12)
then ride for Fang (4/12)
next stop Pai (5/12 - 6/12)
on 5/12 I'd like to do that Huey-trip... (offer still on, Forest?)
then it's back to Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phu Wiang...

Some trip hmm? wish I had some more time there, really envy you guys out there

ye why not ,I'll join maybe with another friend too..always a nice ride there,but remind me a couple of days before! 0871748840
sergio

Back
Top Bottom