A tour around north India on Royal Enfields

Agra fort which gets little attention because of the Taj Mahal which is only 1km away

9373628561_5d645576d7_b.jpg

Agra Fort

Main article: Agra Fort

Amar Singh Gate,
one of two entrances into Agra's Red Fort

Agra Fort (sometimes called the Red Fort), was commissioned by the great Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1565, and is another of Agra's World Heritage Sites. A stone tablet at the gate of the Fort states that it had been built before 1000 but was later renovated by Akbar. The red sandstone fort was converted into a palace during Shāh Jahān's time, and reworked extensively with marble and pietra dura inlay. Notable buildings in the fort include the Pearl Mosque or Motī Masjid, the Dīwān-e-'Ām and Dīwān-e-Khās (halls of public and private audience), Jahāngīr's Palace, Khās Mahal, Shīsh Mahal (mirrored palace), and the Musamman Burj.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
The forbidding exteriors of this fort conceal an inner paradise. The fort is crescent shaped, flattened on the east with a long, nearly straight wall facing the river. It has a total perimeter of 2.4 kilometres (1.5 mi), and is ringed by double castellated ramparts of red sandstone punctuated at regular intervals by bastions. A moat 9 metres (30 ft) wide and 10 metres (33 ft) deep surrounds the outer wall.
Chhatrapati Shīvajī visited the Agra Fort, as a result of the conditions of the Treaty of Purandar entered into with Mirzā Rājā Jaisingh to meet Aurangzeb in the Dīwān-i-Khās (Special Audience Chamber). In the audience he was deliberately placed behind men of lower rank. An insulted Shīvajī stormed out of the imperial audience and was confined to Jai Sing's quarters on 12 May 1666. Fearing the dungeons and execution he escaped on 17 August 1666. A heroic equestrian statue of Shīvajī has been erected outside the fort.
The fort is a typical example of Mughal architecture, effectively showing how the North Indian style of fort construction differed from that of the South. In the South, the majority of forts were built on the seabed like the one at Bekal in Kerala.[SUP][11][/SUP]

You can't initially see the Taj Mahal main marble temple as you enter the complex, the initial red brick structures are beautiful and well preserved

9373574763_3d9ee836d4_b.jpg

1si glimpes of the main Taj Mahal marble temple as you proceed from the western entrance

9373575059_13d332999d_b.jpg

Surrounding buildings

9376354530_c85a15cecd_b.jpg

Then turn the corner and it takes your breath away

9373576249_4a9d9cae3a_b.jpg

Wiki

[h=3]Tāj Mahal
[/h]Main article: Taj Mahal
The Taj Mahal is one of the most famous buildings in the world, the mausoleum of Shah Jahan's favourite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. It is one of the New Seven Wonders of the world, and one of three World Heritage Sites in Agra.

Tombs of Shah Jahan and his beloved wife, Mumtaz Mahal.

Completed in 1653, the Tāj Mahal was built by the Mughal king Shah Jahan as the final resting place for his beloved wife, Mumtāz Mahal. Finished in marble, it is perhaps India's most fascinating and beautiful monument. This perfectly symmetrical monument took 22 years (1630-1652) of labour and 20,000 workers, masons and jewellers to build and is set amidst landscaped gardens. Built by the Persian architect, Ustād 'Īsā, the Tāj Mahal is on the south bank of the Yamuna River. It can be observed from Agra Fort from where Emperor Shāh Jahān gazed at it for the last eight years of his life, a prisoner of his son Aurangzeb. It is an acknowledged masterpiece of symmetry. Verses of the Koran are inscribed on it and at the top of the gate are twenty-two small domes, signifying the number of years the monument took to build. The Tāj Mahal was built on a marble platform that stands above a sandstone one. The most elegant dome of the Tāj Mahal has a diameter of 60 feet (18 m), and rises to a height of 80 feet (24 m); directly under this dome is the tomb of Mumtāz Mahal. Shah Jahān's tomb was erected next to hers by his son Aurangzeb. The interiors are decorated with fine inlay work, incorporating semi-precious stones.

The Taj is so bright white is darkens everything else in the photo

9373576841_5e4e1c2032_b.jpg

A few Taj Mahal photo's

The four outer towers were designed to lean outwards so in the event of an earthquake they wouldn't damage the central building

9373577271_96c34c9ea8_b.jpg

9373577493_d94f154743_b.jpg

9373578025_1ab6b1a71a_b.jpg

Looking back the other way

9373577665_5c23f75877_b.jpg

Some excellent photo's from Heindrick's new Sony RX 100

The first photo makes me feel dizzy just looking at it

2013-07-28_111828.jpg

9379981383_72a32aa41a_b.jpg

9382761148_33c7ba21d7_b.jpg

9382762612_a55fee2afd_b.jpg

9382760630_a848b8d7fe_b.jpg

East of Srinagar

9382759790_6b4e3ab503_b.jpg

Som in the dirt

9382762134_fc7d7b377e_b.jpg

TsoKar near the Tibet border

9382763760_1e3f9f9d2e_b.jpg

9382764286_59f41bac73_b.jpg

9379981967_053116b2c6_b.jpg

'WOW'...to describe this report has become a word of understatement!
And I can't think of an adjective which is strong enough to adequately
describe Phil and Som's journey!

Spectacular visuals and photos worthy of National Geographic.
Pictures and dialog that start by revealing the chaos of New Delhi and progressing
to the amazing and diverse geography of Northern India. All the while conveying
the life and hardships of its' residences.
Wiki inserts to elaborate on significant historical sights.

And, Khun Som not only adding beauty to the motley crew,
but showing such adventures can be experienced by all genders.

The BBC should be jealous that they didn't host this travelogue.

Thanks, Phil, for documenting your amazing journey. Job well done!
Yes, I'm in awe...yet sad to see the journey has ended.
OTOH, now you can go off the curry diet...;-)

Glad you liked it Jay, a lot of work to put together but I enjoyed every minute of doing it.

'WOW'...to describe this report has become a word of understatement!
And I can't think of an adjective which is strong enough to adequately
describe Phil and Som's journey!

Spectacular visuals and photos worthy of National Geographic.
Pictures and dialog that start by revealing the chaos of New Delhi and progressing
to the amazing and diverse geography of Northern India. All the while conveying
the life and hardships of its' residences.
Wiki inserts to elaborate on significant historical sights.

And, Khun Som not only adding beauty to the motley crew,
but showing such adventures can be experienced by all genders.

The BBC should be jealous that they didn't host this travelogue.

Thanks, Phil, for documenting your amazing journey. Job well done!
Yes, I'm in awe...yet sad to see the journey has ended.
OTOH, now you can go off the curry diet...;-)

Amazing pictures, amazing trip!
Great that Som could stand 2 weeks of riding every day, in the cold and high altitude as well, must have been exhausting after a while...

Amazing pictures and the views never get old. You all are so lucky to have ridden a place like this and have such an incredible experience. India is always a surprise and always a pleasure. You never know just what's coming in the course of a day there. THX for sharing!!!!!!

How many KG did you drop after it was all over?

Amazing pictures and the views never get old. You all are so lucky to have ridden a place like this and have such an incredible experience. India is always a surprise and always a pleasure. You never know just what's coming in the course of a day there. THX for sharing!!!!!!

How many KG did you drop after it was all over?

Averaging around 160km a day I would have thought, Havn't had time to look at the GPS data yet. When you lived in India, did you ride around the Leh/ Srinagar area?

Phil, just finished reading the report. Twice.
Captivating. Awesome. Can't find the superlatives.
Thanks a million for putting the report together.
I will be with Kamarul, SP Lee and a few others riding from Manali. We leave 17th August.
Your excellent and detailed report makes planning a lot easier for us.

Cheers and Thanks again.

Nik

I hope it has given you a feel for what you're in for.

Take vasaline, lipsil, toilet paper, wet wipes, round pin plug adapter , headlight & light backpack to have your rain gear ready for quick deployment. ...give us a report if you can, your photo s are always captivating, wishing you a great trip.

Phil, just finished reading the report. Twice.
Captivating. Awesome. Can't find the superlatives.
Thanks a million for putting the report together.
I will be with Kamarul, SP Lee and a few others riding from Manali. We leave 17th August.
Your excellent and detailed report makes planning a lot easier for us.

Cheers and Thanks again.

The old saying of "never shake they left hand in India", looks like it's to be remembered. This was at the side of the railway track just north of Delhi, as you got further north and less populated it all stopped.

Som managed to capture these eloquent, artistic images.

9471562114_c39bc5617d_b.jpg

No one was batting an eyelid

9468779161_c30bea4130_b.jpg

9471562322_63ff1cd43b_b.jpg

What a load of shit. Is the guy in the last picture reading a book :kat

Brings a new meaning to the expression "Tread carefully"

Nice shots Nik, looks like the bikes were pointing as accurate to true north as you can get! What did Gerry make of it ?

P8250923.jpg

Looking forward to your recollections, they are always first class.

Tony has edited a video of our India motorcycle tour, I havn't seen it yet.

URL to see / download it:
Login | MyDrive - Ihr Schweizer Online-Speicher
[FONT="] [SIZE=4]Username: MeinGast@Apfeltasche[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4]
[FONT="]Password: Indien[/FONT][/SIZE]

Very nicely done - I saw it at RC when Som showed it on the big screen - maybe something for next weeks barbecue

I downloaded it yesterday and watched it this morning, very nicely made movie! Good combination of music, film and photographs.
I saw the pictures of Phil and on the video too, this beautifull blue in clouds and lakes, amazing!
Cannot wait for part two! Thanks for sharing Toni and Phil!

Back
Top Bottom