A Ride in the Rain

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
I'm still familiarising myself with the new Montana 650, so it was time to try to do what many advise I do ... i.e. 'get lost'!

Not far from home I spotted what just might qualify as an 'Almost Asian Bridge Photo'. (?)

DSC03193.jpg

I like village Temples and this one (Wat Nong Sae) was my next stop; and time to climb into the wet weather gear!

DSC03194.jpg

DSC03196.jpg

I would be riding in those mountains.
Actually, like some others here, I don't mind wet weather riding.
I've never been one for rapid riding, so it's not an issue to take it easy; as long as the wet weather clothing works. Tragically, I soon discovered mine doesn't !!!! :mad:

DSC03198.jpg

Next stop was at Wat Pah Daeng, which is new and has a very proud care-taker who is pleased to show visitors around.

DSC03200.jpg

DSC03203.jpg

DSC03202.jpg

Many of us have seen this practise before.
I confess to not knowing exactly why Buddhists do it.
It's easy to speculate, but I must find out what it's really all about.
(Or maybe some-one who actually knows can share the information here).

DSC03199.jpg

Again, out to #1147 where I spotted what might really qualify as an 'Asian Bridge Crossing Photo' !?

DSC03205.jpg

Off the 1147 and onto the 5127 for a while.
The impressive Alpine Resort (minus the snow).

DSC03206.jpg

Back to 5127 and on to 5120 where I enjoyed riding all sorts of tracks around the Huai Lan Reservoir.

DSC03207.jpg

DSC03208.jpg

Here there are brick roads, dirt tracks and deep muddy jungle tracks to explore.
Another place to return to on a dry day.

DSC03209.jpg

DSC03210.jpg

The Garmin led me into some tracks which looked ok on the map but were actually overgrown jungle tracks which were, today, muddy and slippery.
Not a problem on the CRF, but it taught me that it is possible to ride deeper and deeper into trouble.
So I managed a 4 point U-turn and retreated back towards the 5127.

Along the way I stopped at a store where 3 expats were drinking,
One told me a story that, back in the reservoir, they are catching huge fish but they are flavourless.
Apparently the water is only about a metre deep.

Opposite this drinking spot is this magnificent home, owned by a Chonburi family who come here for their retreat from the hustle and bustle.

DSC03212.jpg

Then some local dirt tracks back to the 5127, which ends at another reservoir.
Wet.

DSC03213.jpg

Onto the 5123 and the delightful 1006, where I stopped at what I thought was a Coffee Shop under construction. Wrong; it is a Sala located near the road-side and the actual residence is about 100 metres behind still under construction.

DSC03214.jpg

OK, time to test the 'get me home to a hot shower and a whiskey and soda' function.

Near the Mae On Cave this new monument caught my eye.

DSC03216.jpg

Fantastic!
'1.3 kms turn right, straight ahead 5.2 kms, left at intersection' ... so easy and reassuring.

Why would this be written in English?, I wonder.

DSC03217.jpg

Then a lovely welcome back home.

DSC03219.jpg

So that was another delightful afternoon during which I met some lovely people, saw some beautiful new scenery, got to enjoy my CRF even more and learnt some new tricks from the Montana 650. Still a lot to learn though.

Life is good. :DD

Great report there Ron, thank you so much for taking the time to also prove the montana is waterproof too ! ;)

I hope you bring along your laptop & gps with supporting cables tomorrow.

Ally

Why would this be written in English?, I wonder.

View attachment 6453

Nice report and pictures again Ron - shows that rain does not have to be a hindrance to enjoy the neighborhood. With regard to the sign with English language I have no idea - maybe a subtle hint by Yingluck to the various colored shirts considering that the sign prominently shows a view of sky scrapers and shopping centers.

Thanks A & A.

Politics aside, whatever the language, that sign has absolutely no impact whatsoever out here! :mad:

re poles under trees in Temples
(source: Chiang Mai Tourist Guide)

DSC03199.jpg

" The Bodhi Tree's Pole:a Lanna Ritual
Text : Mario & Karin

pix.gif
Widely known as Hae Mai Kam Salee by Northern Thai folks, the ritual of the Bodhi tree's pole has been regarded as a significant tradition in the Lanna region for decades,
annually held during the traditional Songkran festival inside temple grounds.

pix.gif
But what is the interpretation behind such imagery of the poles and Bodhi tree?

From the Buddhist perspective, the Bodhi tree itself represents Buddhism as it's the locale
where the Lord Buddha became enlightened and the placing of supporting poles beneath the tree's branches attests to the religious support of the laity.
The wooden poles used in the ritual vary in sizes and styles, depending on the financial status of their donors; from rough plain sticks to exquisitely carved ones.

pix.gif
Among the temples in Chiang Mai, Wat Phratat Sri Chomtong is a popular venue for the ritual as the temple houses an ancient gigantic Bodhi tree and there's a story about the origin of this ceremony. Chomtong folks were afraid that the tree that has increasingly branched out would collapse without any supports. And if the tree dies, it suggests that bad fortune for Buddhism and the Chomtong people is ahead.

Therefore they came up with the idea of placing wooden poles under the branches of the tree,
and have kept on practicing ever since. However, since the iconic tree is extremely massive, poles with 4-metre length and 8 x 8-inch thickness are delivered from over 10 villages in Chomtong district.

pix.gif
How is such a symbolic pole ritual scheduled for the Songkran festival anyway?

According to the actual fact that Songkran is the traditional New Year celebration involving several auspicious activities, the pole ritual is supplemented in the festival.
The ceremony is quite simple and is scheduled from 1st - 14th April of each year. Varying in size, the poles have been collected from the communities before being painted with turmeric, decorated with tiny pieces of colourful paper, and then paraded to the temple by ox-carts. Apart from people from different generations in beautiful regional costume taking part, the parade also includes several festive performances; the traditional martial art known as Fon Jerng, Sor singing (a kind of traditional live entertainment in the form of folk music) and of course, the Songkran's water-pouring ceremony, as for offering respects to and receiving blessings from respected elders.

pix.gif
In its way it's a good demonstration of the maintenance of local traditions in the face of ever-increasing globalisation.

Back
Top Bottom