A 2 day trip from Khon Kaen to Loei (and back)

Changnoi1

Bikes
Kawasaki Z250
Sorry not much photos ... but this week I made my first 2 day trip since my accident 7 months ago.

I left early in the morning .... like 6 in the morning. From Khon Kaen straight to Chumpae via route 12. Boring and it is getting busy. I noticed that I am more carefully with U-turns and stupid scooters along the road. The nice riding starts for me after the PTT gasoline station just after Chumpae. I always stop there for a hot coco and a croissant sandwich. And fill up the tank and then of to Nam Nao. Still a lovely road to ride. And no U-turns and almost no stupid scooters. Only at one small village there are always dogs along the road. I always count them ... this time 14 dogs. They just sit & sleep along the road in a stretch of 500 meter. I made a stop at the view-point & market.

Then down to Lomsak where I again stop for a drink at the PTT gasoline station just after Lomsak. Then of to the curves of route 2331 to Phu Thap Boek. The road is still great but Phu Thap Boek is being covered by Resorts, Restaurants and shops. I had lunch at 1800m high and went down again. Took route 203 to Loei, made a stop at the lovely lake just 10 km before Loei city. Great place for lunch!

In Loei I did stay again at King Hotel, still going well. Clean room and not expensive. Loei city is changing a bit with more restaurants. The next day I did wake-up again very early and did ride route 203 back in direction of Phu Rua but after about 30km I took route 3002 along Phu Luang to Wang Sapung. Beautiful route. Almost no traffic, nice view. But sunlight in your face. And as it was cold my mirrors were fogging up as was my visor. I had a great ride to route 201 a bit south of Wang Sapung.

From here it was straight back to route 12 again to hit the highway hell back to Khon Kaen. Well I stopped near Phu Man (just before) where are some restaurants and I had a late breakfast or early lunch there.

Full report with some photos is at my travel-blog : http://changnoi1.blogspot.com/2014/1...-thailand.html

I love riding again!

Good to hear you're back at it and doing all the old favorites. I'll bet it felt good.

I'm sure you know, but just in case, just north of Wang sapung you can turn east and take small roads all the way to Ubonrat, then the nice twisty south to the 12. Like you, I despise the 12 from Chumprae to KK.

Good to see your back in the saddle, enjoy hairy biker

Thanks guys .... yes it feels good to ride again.

MarcusB I think we did ride that twisty road together once. But as I came out south of Wang Sapung it was to far "taking the long way home" around to that this time.

P.s. I think they should just stop the sales of scooters and destroy all scooters that are now on the roads of Thailand.

Yes, welcome back into the saddle Changnoi1 after your enforced separation; just at the right time of the year too.
Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom