6 Day Northern Thailand road tour - Part 1.

Russ McDermid

Bikes
Honda Transalp XL700VA in the UK, and a CRF250L & V-strom in Thai.
russ 6 day rd.jpg[/attachment:31f9t334]
We headed out from CMX on the 108, with the valves bouncing all the way. Caught up with them in Hot where before I could catch their names, we were off again. Heard lunch was in Sariang and with some twisties coming up, the KLX was in with a chance of getting me there in time for the second course.

We split up for lunch to ensure we got served that day, and I ended up sitting next to a nice scouser (really !) called John. Later on he was going to achieve fame on our tour.
After lunch we took the 105 to our evening stop in Mae Sot. I was pedalling as fast as I could to catch up, when a friendly policeman flagged me down for "bad accident"... I soon recognised familiar bikes, jackets & helmets, and saw a very sorry looking ER6 lying in the field.

KTM Phil has the accident covered in a separate report, but suffice to say, John had over-cooked it on a bend and slid into & under a Songtuay.
IMG_0503_resize.JPG
Me & Jeff went ambulance chasing, and caught up with John at the local Government hospital, where he was undergoing major surgery - two aspirins & a splint ! Brings back memories of breaking my leg in Mae Sae last year, and nice not to be the centre of attraction in the Emergency Room this time.
Atfter doing all we could for John, we rode somewhat cautiously onto Mae Sot for a night at what the gang called the Teak Hotel, or First Hotel as its correctly known.

Day 2 - Some of the boyz got off to an early start while the remainder went for breakfast, followed by a visit to check on John in Mae Sot General Hospital. It was good see him in a much better state so we left him in the care of some pretty Thai nurses, and his girlfriend !

Heading out on the 105, we made for our next overnight stop at Loei. Passed a very happy looking cow, being taken for a drive.

m_IMG_0511.jpg

After a few twisties, the road begins to straighten as it makes for Phitsanulok. It was at this stage the boyz opened the throttles, and I got a SMS from my engine “don’t even think about it !” So, I laid back in the saddle, jammed the throttle at 90kmh, and started to plan the evenings activities.

m_IMG_0515.jpg

Eventually the long boring straights, turned into some twisty stuff after Phitsanulok and a road change to Hwy 12. Passed the Rain Forest resort (N16.86340 E100.62893) where I stayed on a previous occasion, and can recommend it; about 1200 Bht/night for a cabin, but the setting is very unique and I see Lonely Planet also rate it. Its right on the main road and easy to find.

Shortly after I turn onto the 2013 for Nakon Thai where I finally catch up with the boyz just finishing their lunch. Apparently I was only about 20 mins behind them, but I reckon it was less and they just eat like ravenous pigs ! Nice place for lunch next to the PTT (N17.10890 E100.85121).
I let the boyz go on to let my food go down, and to speak to the pretty girl who runs it, whose English is very good for someone this far in the sticks.

Caught up with a rather overloaded pick-up….. is she going over ??

m_IMG_0520.jpg

Made it into Loei and checked into the King Hotel, where there was some confusion and they gave me the key to Jeff’s room…. Oh, the missed opportunity ! Finally got my own room, which was very nice, even if for the princely sum of 500 Bht. Shower, shit, & a shave, then found a bar, while the boyz finished off their beauty treatments, or massage as they call it.

That evening, I discovered the delights of Robot Nightclub ! It would be good to provide a detailed account of the evening, but piecing together the various bits of feedback just add to the confusion…. and the bit about disappearing at 4am on the back of a scooter driven by a lady-boy, just can’t be true…. Was it ?

Day 3
9.30am - The phone goes… it’s Jeff. “Were leaving now”. I roll over and grunt “See you in Nan”. Back to sleep.
12.00 noon – Reception; “would you like another night, Sir”. Ah, bugger it, better get on the road…. now where is this place they call Nan.
“Sally Satnav” comes to the rescue, telling me its 7 hours away. No way, never believe a woman !
She was right, and tells me I rode (rather briskly) via the 203-2294-1268-2195-1241-1123-1083-1026 and finally the 101 into Nan, if anyone is that interested. The days riding was cracking, going through some beautiful National Parks, complete with interesting signs….

m_IMG_0529.jpg

Naturally I put my brakies on as I approached.

Fuelled up at some village where any big bike always attracts attention from the kids, who must get pretty bored.

m_IMG_0530.jpg

Ended up in Nan a few mins before nightfall, after one of the best rides ever, and only a sore arse to show for it …. and No, I’m not referring to the activities at the lady-boy bar, either !

Stayed at the ever popular “Grand Mansion” hotel (N18.78632 E100.77694)

m_IMG_0539.jpg

Although an exploratory visit to Fifth Nightclub was conducted, it was early and the place empty. So, 2 beers listening to some Thai band in a bar opposite, then bed.

Day 4 – Destination Chiang Rai. I decide that it might be nice to try and ride with the boyz today, and with a more relaxed pace, coupled with plenty of bends, Im in with a chance. We take the 1080 out of Nan, then onto the 1148 where the twisty stuff really starts. And now at least I have somebody to take photos of …..

m_IMG_0545.jpg

Go to Part 2.......

Attachments

• russ  6 day rd.jpg
    russ 6 day rd.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 629
Re: 6 Day Northern Thailand road tour

A good start mate and we are eagerly waiting the next installment!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Re: 6 Day Northern Thailand road tour - Part 2

...................Continued from Part 1

m_IMG_0551.jpg
m_IMG_0552.jpg
m_IMG_0553.jpg

We stop in Chiang Kham for lunch, and as my mouth waters at the though of a Spicy Pad Krapow…… we pull up at a bloody KFC ! Still, nice to know just how bad chicken can be made to taste.

m_IMG_0557.jpg

And so taking the 1021-1222-1155 we arrive at arguably the best road in Thailand; the freshly surfaced 4018.

m_IMG_0558.jpg
m_IMG_0564.jpg

Pictures do not do it justice.

We hammer on, with me trying to catch Duncan to tell him his back-pack is open, and he thinks I want to race (ER6 vs. KLX250, yeah right !) Anyone know that feeling ? Still got there in the end with nothing missing.

Riding the 1152, we finally arrive at Chiang Rai, & we are down to five now; Jeff, Ian, Con, Duncan & Me. Most of us opted to pay 900 Bht for a room with no windows in the Wangcomb Hotel!
Con, went downmarket to the Orchids Guest House (N19.90440 E99.83175), but got a much better deal, as I moved there the following day and was quite happy at 450 Bht.

We assembled in the Sperm Pub for the evenings activities, where I continued to work on developing a recent taste for Whisky & Coke. Generally speaking I gauge the success of an evening by when I wake up, and surfacing at 11am, I guess it was a good one.

I wanted another night in CR as I knew there was more clubs yet to be discovered, but felt it fair to at least put some riding in for the day. So, a blast along the 45km dirt track that runs south of the Mae Kok river, cleared the head. Took a nice piccy of some water buffalo which is typical of the views on this track.

m_IMG_0567.jpg

Coming back on the 1089, it was now time for a beer. Shit, shower, shave, and warm up in the Sperm pub, then onto PAR a few hundred metres down the road.

Day 6 – let “Sally Satnav” find me the “shortest” route to Chiang Dao, which via the 1211 to the 118, then 109 probably was the only option, apart from that ladies garden I rode through !

Stopping for lunch on the 107 in Fang (I think), I drove noticeably slower afterwards, not because of a full belly, but posters like these ……..

m_IMG_0570.jpg

I made it back to CM late that afternoon, and probably went onto Spicy, but won’t cover that here.

Jeff, thanks for organising a great ride, and it was a pleasure to ride with all of you. “Sally” tells me I covered 1250 miles / 2000 km, but I’m afraid I don’t have a total for the number of beers drank !

Back
Top Bottom