30 killed in Mae Hong Son refugee camp blaze

Complaining about others does not really help, the best way to get something done for these poor people is if we do it ourself.
A massive ride out of the farang bikers community in the North of Thailand will a good way and it will draw some media attention.
It would even be better if local Thai blood groups would join in one of the largest ride out's Thailand has ever witnessed.

We could do this in same tradition as the CM Toy Ride whereby we will bring fresh food, blankets, emergency shelters etc.
We would need pathfinders to ride out early to find out the actual needs.

Another thing that the community can do is to offer continous support for the kids who have lost their two schools.

Harry and Brake;

My Toyota ute (aka 'pick up) will be at Riders Corner Thursday afternoon from 1pm.
From there a Thai friend (hopefully) and I will go the the Chiang Mai markets asking for food donations.
If/When we have enough I will drive to the refugee camp on Friday.
Anyone willing to assist is welcome.

does anyone know if there's been a 'local' appeal for help ?

I take it not only 2wheels is taking this initiative in CM ?

2wheels, excellent! Food is always needed and will be welcomed.
It would be great to have ears and eyes in the camp soon to see what is most needed for short, intermediate and long term relieve.
Typically in these situations you will find 10.000 blankets and no tents for example.

Trying to find resources to see if we can offer help rebuild the schools.

Lakota, I am not aware of any emergency program or request other then the collection center at MHS Living Museum and http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151505432708166&id=51782083165

We' re told that the UN relief org. & Red Cross are there in force......food is an excellent choice to donate adding to any current assistance.

Never sent from an I-Phone

Thanks Phil. do we know how likely there will be donations from the food market for 2wheels ? ... Do we need to just Buy a load of stuff from Wholesale Markets to make sure it happens ?

do we know how likely there will be donations from the food market for 2wheels ? ... Do we need to just Buy a load of stuff from Wholesale Markets to make sure it happens ?

I'll try both Mark.

I'm going to be in CM myself on Thursday. lets make sure you get that Pickup full of food. I'll chip in a few thousand baht to help it happen.

PM me your bank account please, I cannot come to CM but I will chip in a few thousand too!

2wheels, your inbox is full, cannot send any more PM's!
Anyway payment done, you should get a text message on your phone.

Good luck and drive safely on Friday, brake034

Just in from a worker at the site.

" .... if it is possible could you please bring another thing for the refugees as well such as candle, flash light with batteries, sanitation pad for women, clothes (no need for new clothes, used clothes are fine) drinking water, rubber slippers, mosquito net. For food, can food is better than fresh food.
For traveling to Bann Mae Surin, I think you cannot go to the refugee camp directly because the government not allow people to get in to that area like another refugee camps in Mae Sot and the road to go there is very difficult.

My recommend is, you should go to Khun Yuam District office and you can contact with the officer/person who get in charged there. The Khun Yuam District office has the center to get donation from the donor and they will take those thing to the refugee every day. "

Great info 2wheels, shopping list completed and based upon actual requirement.
Will be hard to find second hand clothes so quick, that might be an intermediate goal?

2wheels, we have a shit load of second hand clothes and stuff coming out of the container I brought over from Holland last December.
Now everyone has clothes not used and maybe you want to get rid of them, can we collect them in CM somewhere and get some more trucks to ride out again in 2 or 3 weeks?

Up-date.
Thanks to the generosity of three guys mentioned above (all based in Chiang Rai) we now have 11,000 baht to spend on relief for the fire victims.
Khun Som from Riders Corner plus a friend of hers and I will go scrounging for clothing, food etc tomorrow afternoon and, hopefully,
fill my old Toyota ute with 'goodies'.
I will be at RCorner 1pm Thursday and we'll leave from there for the scrounge.
Depart early Friday for Khun Yuam.

More baht in the shopping bag thanks to Ally!
And an offer to assist with the logistics.
Khob khun kap Khun Ally. :DD

2wheels, without people like you a million dollar donation would not have made any difference, it is the outstanding people like you who do make the difference!

Good on you 2wheels....ill be back tonight will talk with you then. From talking to Som and yourself it sounds like you have really started something......ill talk to some others and see if they wish to donate.

Never sent from an I-Phone

Update.

The photos here may take a while to become visible but they are all present.
It's worth the wait to see some of the 'stars' behind the scenes.

Well, we're on third base (and I haven't been there for quite a while!)

As of now the RideAsia community has donated the very generous sum of 46,900 baht to help the victims of the Ban Mae Surin tragedy.

Now this is not massaging egos; it's acknowledging generosity, so here are the people who have been so kind by giving money and/or 'goodies'.

bsacbob
Brake (Marcel)
Mark Lakota
2wheels
Ally
Khun Utim at Kasikorn Bank, Thapae Road
Riders Corner
Khun Opal (Riders Corner)
Harry GPS
Frank T
Auke
David R
Gary D
Greg F
Thank you, one and all. :DD

So we had a planning meeting at Riders Corner and it was decided that Khun Som, Khun Opal, Khun Oi and I would go shopping for the necessary items.
We knew what was needed, essential survival items, so headed out to Makro on Hang Dong Road.
We had made a little sign saying 'Help' and pasted some poignant photos from Ban Mai Surin on it.

DSC07747.jpg

Apparently some Know-it-All from another site has suggested that, in these circumstances, what is needed is cash.
Yeah sure. We rock up to Khun Yuam with an envelope containing 47,000 baht and hand it to a complete stranger.
Yeah sure, all of that cash will get to the people who actually need basic commodities. Duh! :RE

So we spoke to Makro management and 'no' they were not willing to donate even a packet of chewing gum!
Well, Makro Hang Don Road, here's my donation to you. :topes

Undeterred, we proceeded to fill four trolleys with such necessary items as

toiletries
noodles
sanitary items
fruit drinks
water
canned food
children's toys and games

That was a bit over 17,000 baht spent.

DSC07753.jpg

DSC07754.jpg

And my friend's ute (pick up) was full!

DSC07755.jpg

Next, we went to an excellent second hand clothing outlet on Hang Dong Road (2kms from the Airport and almost opposite Tesco Lotus).
The ladies got many bargains there and a good 'deal' from the shop owners.
3,300 baht spent on all forms of clothing for children and adults.

DSC07757.jpg

DSC07761.jpg

The ladies at Riders Corner had also donated many items of clothing.
And every single item of clothing obtained today was neatly and lovingly sorted and folded by the ladies; not just screwed up and thrown into a bag.

DSC07766.jpg

DSC07748.jpg

Back to Riders Corner to recover!

Many nice things happened today.
Such as HarryGPS running in, shirt wet with perspiration, smiling as he handed over cash and a couple of huge bags of clothing.

DSC07749.jpg

Such as the people in the shop near Riders Corner walking up and handing over a box of clothing.

DSC07764.jpg

Such as Mark 'Lakota' arriving with his brand new 500X and tales of woe from Honda Big Wing, yet willing to support our cause.
I hope you find that riding that bike will soon push the Big Wing experience into the background Mark.

Khun Som had already arranged for a huge pile of 'flip flops' to be delivered, which duly arrived.
By now my friend's old ute was packed to capacity.

DSC07767.jpg

Luckily, Ally arrived with her ute, so we began to load that as well.

DSC07769.jpg

As I write this Khun Som and Ally will have been to the markets and obtained such items as

fresh fruit and vegetable
rice
candles
mosquito repellant
The end result is that by 7am tomorrow two packed 'utes' will be heading towards Khun Yuam.
And, appropriately, that will be Good Friday.

I suspect more donations will come and and another trip to Khun Yuam will be required.
I look forward to that.

So, as I have said earlier, a big thank you to all who have participated.
And to my three shopping companions; you were brilliant and fun too. Thank you!

PM inbound. Ron if you don't get the PM due to messaging issues can you email me your bank details to: withgustoATyahooDOTcom

Professionals at work for sure, all this was planned while I was away, really proud of you all, excellently planned and executed. I'm sure they'll be overjoyed to see you in Khun Yuam today.

From Ally just now at the Khun Yuam, donation collection area:

"This enormous warehouse is full of a wide variety of aid ranging from bucket stoves, dried food, blankets, a vast array of EMS delivered cartons and a mountain of rice & water. The reception of RideAsia's delivery was almost overwhelming, they said we made excellent choices for donation. Well done everyone " !!!!!

599557_405592642871628_960650460_n.jpg

RideAsia Relief delivered — at ที่ว่าการอำเภอขุนยวม.

2wheels with some of the co-ordinators ----- Great initiative Ron.

521402_405592702871622_368548656_n.jpg

Welcome back home safely 2wheels and Ally, time for a beer and feet on the table!
Have a great weekend and look forward to the story and the pictures.

Some more photo's from Ally of the RideAsia.net refugee camp donation delivery.

R 108 to Khun Yuam

575868_405664299531129_1736587064_n.jpg

2wheels with the relief organizers in Khun Yuam

563806_405664372864455_421423797_n.jpg

Collection warehouse in Khun Yuam

253768_405664389531120_1771678468_n.jpg

Thanks for posting all those Phil, I was actually holding off until Ron had a chance to contribute to this thread a bit more, rather than there being so many Ally, Ally, Ally but hopefully people in general appreciate that.

Come on Ron, show us your report :)

Ally

Back
Top Bottom