3 Thai Myanmar border crossings to open in August

I am going to go get a visa this week.. But that post is saying vehicles cant, which is the opposite of the info to Alan and Pikey.. It makes more sense that vehicles cant based on taking the fees for proper tours, but that doesnt mean I wont try and give it a shot.

I think I have a better shot at Mae Sot / Myawaddi than I do trying Mae Sai / Tachilek due to Shan state restrictions and conflict ??? Or does anyone think that Tachilek to Kengtung and onward to Mandalay might be possible ??

I am more interested in a short hop to test it than a full trip this time.. I just want to keep pushing to see whats possible.

Wont be for a couple of weeks at best.. Only just back from nearly a month of bouncing about...

Also no idea how long the visa app takes.

looks like u can get a visa same day, next, or 2days, from 865bt. in bangkok
Agent may get you one quicker, but I dont know if it can be done from chiang mai

Agent may get you one quicker, but I dont know if it can be done from chiang mai

I have a chiang mai agent.. but don't know the details yet.

Will report when I do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Some more info on the tour companies who organize caravan trips to Myanmar using your own vehicle:

First one is called GMS RALLY and they seem more experienced with foreigners (i.e. non Thais) going on tours and they will have an English speaking guide accompanying you. GMS Rally: 081-513 3913 or 02-2466853. The experienced manager K. Somsak Email: somsak_burapapipath@hotmail.com speaks Thai, English, French, Vietnamese and a couple of other languages. Address: 550/145 Soi Phopan Asok-Din Daeng Khwang Din Daeng Khet Din Daeng Bangkok 10400 Website (which did not work when I tried) http://www.gmsrally.com

The other company is more "Thai" in the sense that they provide a Thai speaking guide to accompany their tours, which are custom made for Thai travellers, but even if you don't speak Thai you could join them, provided at least one person in your party can speak Thai (or English among the other people in the tour). Call Nature Tree on 02-3775370

The paperwork is required about a month in advance, so if you are keen to go, contact these two agencies, they will ask for your email address and provide you with some documents to read and fill out. If interested, send them back asap otherwise you may have to wait for the next tour, which I'm sure will be quite soon.

I have got one same day in Bangkok, but you need to be in the LONG queue when the Embassy opens and collect mid afternoon the same day, the picture needs to be on a blue background that can be done at a nearby shop, i recall seeing guides with maybe 20 or so passports so they must be acting as agents, didn't get any info though was just pleased to get out of the place, it's hotter than hell.

Has anyone taken a bike over at Mae Sai recently? Just into the same Tachileik area you can access on a tourist pass - same as they offer to walk in tourists - i.e. no Myanmar Visa required. I am not looking to ride around Burma (well, not if I have to go BKK to get a visa first), I just want to do a run over and get a passport stamp - then get a new temp' import for my bike when coming back into Thailand.

What was the process? Did you have to check it out with Thai Customs and check it in with Myanmar Customs? The only Thai Customs office I know in Mae Sai is the big one out of town. Are there other Customs offices by the border bridge?

I asked in Mae Sai/Tachilek yesterday, if I could bring my thai registered bike into Burma.
I spoke to the woman at the Burmese Tourist information office just over the bridge, and was told that I could stay up to 2 weeks in Tachilek, but not go to any other city. I couldleave my passport with burmese immigration.
If I wanted to stay for over 2 weeks I would need a visa
A few months ago I was told there that I could take a bike in and go as far as Keng Tung or even Mong La on the chinese border, but I would need a guide @1000bt/day

Seems like it's no problem to go over on a Thai reg' bike, but I have a feeling it's just informal for Thai reg bikes & cars - as they see you only entering a limited, local area.

(Bobs done it by car and bike - and flyingdutchman recently - see here: #8)

They might be OK with a foreign bike - but there's maybe not a Thai Customs person who can issue a new temp import form for my bike when I cross back in. Will try check with Thai Customs in Mae Sai.

Info' from anyone who has crossed at Mae Sai on a foreign plated bike appreciated...

Talked to Mae Sai Customs...

Seems like you can take a foreign temp' import bike over with you when you do a visa run and get a new temp' import paper on return. Will try next month.

Note, the main Customs office in Mae Sai is out of town - guess that's where any overstay fine would need paying before you take a bike over the border.

(Remember, a Myanmar Visa is required to travel outside of Tachileik.)

Talked to Mae Sai Customs...

Seems like you can take a foreign temp' import bike over with you when you do a visa run and get a new temp' import paper on return. Will try next month.

Note, the main Customs office in Mae Sai is out of town - guess that's where any overstay fine would need paying before you take a bike over the border.

(Remember, a Myanmar Visa is required to travel outside of Tachileik.)

Please waypoint the places and grab any tel numbers.. I may give that border a try in 5 or so months when I next need a stamp.

Just did a bike temporary import + visa run at Mae Sai. All went OK - but it seemed like they really haven't done this much before... Thai side all very helpful - but, unless your Thai is good, I'd take a nice Thai speaker along to help going in and coming back.

You can leave your bike (and pay any overstay fine) at the main Customs building then go to usual Passport Control Out, show them your temp import paper and explain what you plan to do. Someone will hopefully help you do a bit of shuffling around out to the bridge Immigration and Customs desks/kiosks to sort paperwork (you will need 2x copies of your passport and bike registration + one of your current temp import paper, Thai insurance and Thai visa to help when you come back in - in total. Take originals also). Get your paper from Customs saying you've taken your bike out ('out' paper?) then go over (the bridge and over to the other side of the road) to Myanmar Passport Control to pay your 500b, get your passport stamped and get a pass for Tachileik. Park your bike by the side somewhere nearby while you do it. (Myanmar Customs looked like they were thinking whether to stop me, but I just drove on a bit further then walked back. Obviously stop and talk to them if they actually wave you down.) With your pass to show, drive through the rest of the bridge controls (not sure what they are for - but they just waved me through when I showed my pass) into Tachileik.

On return, go back over the bridge, park up by Myanmar Immigration Out and go get your passport. Ride over and cross to park near Thai Passport Control In, walk back around the railings and get your passport stamped - but then don't exit through - explain you have a bike then head back and around the railings to the Thai Immigration and Customs kiosks/desks. Give them your 'out' paper and various copies to get a new temp import paper. Then go fetch your bike and ride back into Thailand.

Like I say, everyone seemed nice and helpful - but not sure how they're going to be if lots of people start doing it and if you go back to do the same thing again and again... Only time will tell - but, taking someone who can talk Thai (if you can't very well), smiling and being polite will certainly help... I think I'll alternate exits between Chiang Khong and Mae Sai too.

http://goo.gl/maps/GJJJ3 Thailand - Main Customs Building. Can park your bike here while you sort stuff and pay any fine due, I guess - though I'd already done this in Chiang Khong.
http://goo.gl/maps/djXWc Thailand Passport Control Out and In - and you can see where the roadside kiosks/desks are on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom