3 Thai Myanmar border crossings to open in August

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
It looks like that Myanmar is really opening up and may give Thailand a run for the tourist dollars. Three sources, all quoting the "New Light of Myanmar" (a Government owned newspaper) indicate that 3 border openings will be open for Thai as well as Foreign tourists. The border crossings are: Mae Sai - Tachilek, Mae Sot - Myawaddy and Ranong - Kawthoung under a Myanmar-Thai Border Crossing Agreement, said the New Light of Myanmar. It looks like that you can travel overland, enter at 1 point and leave at another point which would be very good news indeed.

This from hearsay only as mentioned by SeaVisionBurma on Thai Visa: In terms of the overland travel though - for the time being people will still need to have an embassy issued visa already in their passport. A border entry visa won't allow travel overland. This is set to change in the coming year. My sources tell me that by early 2014 they are planning to issue visas at the borders. Nothing concrete at this stage though, so stay tuned.

I

View attachment 19596
View of Tachilek town (source: DVB)

=========================================

Foreigners entering Burma through three major border checkpoints along the Thai border can now travel inland and will not be required to exit the country through the same portal, in accordance with a new regulation passed by Burmese immigration authorities. According to the new rule, foreign travellers who pass through border checkpoints at Shan state's Tachilek, Karen state's Myawaddy and Tenasserim division's Kawthaung towns will be able to travel inland freely, except in restricted areas, and leave from their desired point of departure.

During a press conference at the immigration office in Kawthaung last Thursday, government officials met with representatives from tourism companies and businesspersons to expound on the parameters of the new regulation, said Moe Ei, a reporter from Tenasserim Weekly News Journal who attended the meeting. "The town's immigration director San Lwin explained that under the new regulation, foreigners who come in from the three main checkpoints will be allowed to leave from anywhere," said Moe Ei.

The immigration director also discussed a future plan to expand tourism in the border town, which included opening more hotels, guesthouses, restaurants, souvenir shops, and provide training to tour companies in order to meet the demands of travellers visiting the country.

With the area limitation removed, tourists who enter through the Kawthaung crossing can now visit the area's renowned hot springs, which was previously off limits due to its distance from the border. Border crossing and visa fees at the respective checkpoints will remain the same despite the change in regulations. A foreigner who through enters Burma through the three major Thai-border crossings must pay US$10 for a week's stay in the country.
Source: Immigration officials relax restrictions for tourists travelling overland | DVB Multimedia Group
===================================================

YANGON, July 29 (Xinhua) -- Three Myanmar-Thai border check points will be open to Thai nationals and other foreign visitors for entry and exit as of August, aimed at providing better service to the visitors holding passport and Myanmar entry visa, official media reported Monday. The three gates are designated as Tachileik-Mae Sai, Myawady- Mae Sot and Kawthoung-Ranong under a Myanmar-Thai Border Crossing Agreement, said the New Light of Myanmar.

Visitors will be allowed to visit any place except restricted areas under security reason and to depart from any official exits, the Ministry of Home Affairs was quoted as saying. Categories of visa granted for tourists include Entry Visa, Diplomatic Visa, Gratis Official Courtesy Visa, Tourist Visa, Business visa, Transit Visa and Multiple Journey Special Re-entry Visa. The move would help create greater job opportunities for trading, tourism and hospitality sectors, the report said. In 2012, the number of tourist arrival reached over 1 million, according to Myanmar Tourism Statistics.
Source: 3 Myanmar-Thai border check points to open to foreign visitors for entry, exit -- Shanghai Daily | ???? -- English Window to China New

Last edited:
Well spotted Auke.
Very significant and potentially exciting if this is confirmed.

The credit goes to Bob as he posted it on his Facebook page and after that I looked up the URL's quoted, etc. and posted it on RA

More news from the Chiang Rai Times.
[h=1]Myanmar's Chiang Rai-Tarchileik Boarder Crossing Granting Country Wide Visa's[/h]
Visa Office Tarchileik - Chiang Rai Boarder Crossing
CHIANG RAI - Myanmar will allow visitors using the border crossings of Tarchileik, Myawady and Kawthaung via Thailand to go anywhere except restricted areas starting in August, according to an announcement by the Ministry of Information.
The allowance aims to increase the arrival of foreign travellers. In the announcement, the Ministry of Information stated that visitors can go anywhere except where there are security concerns and depart from any exits which the government allows.
According to the bilateral agreement between Myanmar and Thailand for border crossing, the official entrance and exits are Tarchileik-Mae Sai, Myawady-Mae Sot and Kawthaung-Ranong.
Aung Win Thein, Department Head of Immigration Administration and National Registration of Myawady district said that as the government reduces the restriction, the job opportunities and tourism industry will show a good signs of improvement.

Last edited:
Brilliant news, its been a long time coming but good all the same

If anyone fancies investigating from the Ranong end gimme a shout! Could be a great ride up the coast, and a pioneering one at that!

Does anyone know if you can take vehicles across the border? If so, what paperwork is required?

Have taken a car over many times at Mae Sai, very easy so long as the vehicle is in your name, you have to pay a small fee and thats about it, easier than crossing into Laos.

Thanks for the info.

So I could drive up to Mai Sai in my truck, with my green book, cross the border, drive down through Myanmar to Mae Sot and then back to Chiang Mai? Is this possible now?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Is there any indication they intend to allow vehicle movement..

All I have read is just stating people visas and access.

Have taken a car over many times at Mae Sai, very easy so long as the vehicle is in your name, you have to pay a small fee and thats about it, easier than crossing into Laos.

Was that you, Bob - with the car in your name - or was the car in a Thai's name? I didn't think foreigners could cross at Mai Sai with vehicles... Maybe good for the temp' import thing, Phil?

Was that you, Bob - with the car in your name - or was the car in a Thai's name? I didn't think foreigners could cross at Mai Sai with vehicles... Maybe good for the temp' import thing, Phil?

Yeah it was me (car in my name), i have played golf in Tachilek many time and crossed with the Pick-up, no problems at all, back then you could only drive in the district, now i am not sure what the deal will be but by the sounds of things moving around should be fairly easy but no further info is around other than restrictions are lifted.

The following is additional information I got from a friend yesterday regarding immigration / restricted areas in Burma…

Actually, I received the same information this afternoon that the Immigration offices in Tachileik, Myawaddy and Kawthaung are now installed with a new system which can be used to connect to the server in Yangon international airport and Mandalay International Airport and the HQ in Nay Pyi Taw. Therefore, the data of tourist could be shared with the offices at the border checkpoints, thus the tourists (Thai and nationals of any third countries), who procured Myanmar visa prior to the arrival at the border, will be allowed to enter Myanmar without a whim, i.e. we no longer need to get the permit from the authorities for the entry/exit at the border checkpoints.

However, the overland drive between Kengtung and Taunggyi is still restricted since the peace agreement between Shan State Army and Union Government has not yet been signed. There are ongoing meetings between them and we are monitoring the progress. Therefore, tourists can enter Myanmar at Tachileik without a prior permit and as long as he/she has received the Myanmar visa prior to the arrival at the border checkpoint as mentioned above. However, they can travel from there to Kengtung, but not farther on toward Taunggyi. They still need to take a flight from there to Heho or other destination and exit either from Mandalay or Yangon easily.

UNQUOTE

So it looks like that you can just rock up at one of the three border posts and as long as you have a Visa for Myanmar you can enter the country. Howexer, I don't think that you enetr the country at Mae Sai and leave at another point as the overland drive between Kengtung and Taunggyi is still restricted since the peace agreement between Shan State Army and Union Government has not yet been signed.

Quite sure I had posted this early morning but apparently it disapeared in cyberspace

So from what i understand from the post you will still need to go to BKK to get a visa because visa on arrival is not permitted, so should obtain the visa you could travel in a vehicle outside the district without issue within reason.

Looks a lot more complicated than first thought. Previously they have said I can take my truck over the border but I would have to stay within a very restricted area - the town. I didn't bother. I didn't need a visa in advance or anything like that.

I have been looking on the net for the areas that tourists are allowed and it looks pretty restricted from Mai Sai border crossing. See map below. Red is restricted and green is open (Restricted Areas Map | Tourism Transparency). I don't know how current this data is.

ResMap.jpg

.pdf of the map can be found here - http://www.tourismtransparency.org/sites/default/files/Map Feb 15_0.pdf

Look here for the areas in Myanmar where you are allowed to travel and where not - bit confusing I must admit.

It would be nice to ride from Mae Sot west to the beach
Do you think that you could pay overstay fine on a temporarily imported to thailand, foreign registered machine, at Mae sai or mae sot?
And would they be able to issue you with a new temp import permit?
Do you have to go to Bangkok to get a Burmese visa, or can an agent do it for you?

Do you have to go to Bangkok to get a Burmese visa, or can an agent do it for you?

Not 100% but I think an agent can do it.. There was direct CM Rangoon flights for a while and a buddy was getting his visas done by a travel agent somewhere in the city.

Myanmar Postpones New Easier Overland Travel Facility

Foreign travellers crossing the border at Tachilek are forced to deposit their passports with Myanmar's immigration officers and retrieve them on their return.
CHIANG RAI - Myanmar Officials have postponed a new easier overland travel facility, due to heavy flooding in some border areas.
It initially indicated easier entry and exit rules for overland travel would be implemented 6 August. However, the deadline passed without any change in regulations.
Under the new provision, overland travellers will be able to enter Myanmar at one checkpoint and leave via another. It was supposed to be introduced on Tuesday at Tachilek that borders Mai Sai in Chiang Rai, Thailand.
Foreign travellers crossing the border at Tachilek are forced to deposit their passports with Myanmar's immigration officers and retrieve them on their return.
It ensured they complied with the rule that all overland travellers have to enter and exit at the same checkpoint.

There is considerable concern on the part of tourists who do not want to hand over their passports and then travel in a country where there could be security risks. Also there are regulations in Myanmar that insist travellers always carry identification papers.
Thai-Myanmar Culture and Economic Association Chiang Rai branch president, Phakaimas Vierra, said Myanmar's government recently approved the change in overland travel rules for Tachilek, Myawady and Kawthaung from points in Thailand.
"However, the recent floods in Myanmar near the Myawady crossing forced the authorities to postpone the move indefinitely."
The president added: "Easing overland travel will have to wait until Myanmar restores the area."
According to Myanmar- Thailand Border Crossing Agreement, Tachilek-Mae Sai, Myawady-Mae Sot and Kawthoung-Ranong are officially designated as entry and exit points between the two countries.
To provide better service to tourists crossing the Myanmar-Thai border at the three gates, Thai nationals and foreign visitors with passports and entry visas will be allowed to travel to all approved areas for travel and exit through a different checkpoint if needed.
"The scheme aims to spread the benefits of tourism and create jobs, but the process at the Myawady Friendship Bridge could not be implemented due to floods," said Myawady District Immigration and National Registration Department head U Aung Win Thein.

Last edited:
All of the red Shan area is restricted, Jim/ oldbloke just came back from Kengtung a week ago and told us you do not need a Myanmar visa to get to Kengtung, but you do have to take a Myanmar guide with you. He said there were other tourist going to the Mongla border by minibus with a Myanmar guide.

He's given us the number of the guide he used, we'll find out what's possible with motorcycles, it maybe possible to get to Kengtung.

19603d1375428143t-3-thai-myanmar-border-crossings-open-august-resmap.jpg

Four Thai-Myanmar border crossings to be opened on August 28

Four Thai-Myanmar border crossings to be opened on August 28

Myanmar and Thai citizens, as well as foreign tourists, will be allowed to pass through four Thai-Myanmar border checkpoints, including Myawady, starting from August 28, an official said. "We have received instructions to allow Thai citizens and foreign tourists to pass through all four border checkpoints on August 28. The remarkable thing is that Myanmar citizens with visas and passports will also be allowed to visit [Thailand] through the border crossings," said an official from the Immigration and National Registration Department of Myawady District.The four checkpoints include Tarchileik-Mae Sai, Myawady-Mae Sot, Kawthaung-Ranong and Htee Khee-Sunaron. Fine will be imposed if their visa expired. Read the full article here - http://www.elevenmya...ed-on-august-28

For a far as know you still need to get a visa at the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok before you can enter Myanmar. It seems that locals can get a permit to bring in their car/bike but it is not known at the moment if others can do it and what the rules are for this (you probably will need a special permit). Also, for as far as I know, there are still areas off-limit for travellers due to local problems like in the Shan State in the North so you most probably will not be able to enter at Mae Sai and leave Myanmar at Mae Sot

Have done a bit more research on the restricted area in Myanmar. There are basically three classifications:

1) No need for Permissions,
2) No permission needed for city areas but needed for areas outside the cities and
3) Permission is needed for all areas.

I have attached a PDF file which gives an overview of the areas falling in category 1, 2 and 3. Just click on the file and it will be downloaded to your computer in a better readable version.
View attachment Travel Restrictions Myanmar.pdf

This an overview of travel restriction in Myanmar compiled by Lonely Planet:

Some sites require government fees, but the following areas are only accessible via previously arranged government permits from the MTT office in Yangon or a government-run trip.
The Ayeyarwady Delta area was closed to foreigners after Cyclone Nargis, most has now re-opened
Khamti, aka Naga Land - the government's group tour in January costs $1200!
Mong La, Shan State - the permit is free at least, but you need to arrange one in Kengtung
Mt Victoria, Chin State - bypass the government guide by going with a private one, but you'll still need a permit
Putao, Kachin State
Tachileik, Shan State - if you're travelling around central Myanmar, you need a permit to visit Tachileik and exit to Thailand by land

Many places that are restricted actually can be visited with permits provided by the government's Myanmar Travels & Tours (MTT) and a guide. Sometimes this takes several months of advance planning. So don't expect to cross Chin State's rough highways by showing up and asking.

More info on travel in Myanmar

Some more info on travel in Myanmar can be found at the Myanmar Travel and Tours website (the people who can arrange permits for a fee) - Home:Myanmar Travels & Tours

118, Mahabandoola Garden Street, Kyauktada Township, Yangon, Myanmar.
Tel: (+95-1) 371286, 378376, 374281, 252859. Fax: 95-1-254417
Email : gm.mtt@mptmail.net.mm, mmt-mht@myanmar.com.mm (hot-line)

Some info on people who may be able to help if you travel from Mae Sai to Myanmar.

Tourism Office Tachilek - Mrs. Daw Aye Aye Mar

Freddy who is a guide in Kengtung 09-49031934 yotkham@gmail.com

Sai Leng who is also a guide in Kengtung (listed in Lonely Planet) 09-490-31470 sairoctor.htunleng@gmail.com

Myanmar Travel and Tours do have on their website some Visitors' Guides - they are a bit dated but may be helpful as they have a section on places to stay, helpful phone numbers and maps:

Explore Myanmar 2011 - http://tourism-myanmar.org/visitors-guide/doc_download/18-explore-myanmar-2011-english.html

Visitors Guide Shan State - http://tourism-myanmar.org/visitors-guide/doc_download/9-visitors-guide-shan.html

Visitors Guide Kyaing Thong - http://tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/21-visitors-guide-kyaing-tong.html

Ayerwaddy and Rakhine region - http://tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/41-ayeyarwaddy-rakhine-region.html

Bagan Chin Region - http://www.tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/39-ba-gan-a-chin-region.html

Golden Triangle Region - http://tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/42-golden-triangle-region.html

Mandalay, Saigan & Kachin Region - http://tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/43-mandalay-sagaing-kachin-region.html

Mon, Kayin & Bago Region - http://tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/44-mon-kayin-bago-region.html

Tanintharyi & Myeik Region - http://tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/45-tanintharyi-myeik-region.html

Taunggyi Region - http://www.tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/40-taunggyi-a-kayah-region.html

Yangon Region - http://tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/46-yangon-region.html

Nayphiitaw Region - http://tourism-myanmar.org/statistics/doc_download/47-nay-pyi-taw-region.html

I have plan to ride across Cambodia and Thailand to Myanmar October this year. Now looking for routes and get things prepared.
Anyone around that ride wanna join?

I have plan to ride across Cambodia and Thailand to Myanmar October this year. Now looking for routes and get things prepared.
Anyone around that ride wanna join?

For Myanmar make sure that you have a visa in your passport as there is no "Visa on Arrival" at this moment although this option may become available soon. Entering Myanmar on your own bike is possible but you will need to have permission to do so (again valid at this moment). This permission can be arranged and normally takes a few weeks to organize.

From a guy here in Chiangmai who organizes self-ride trips on own bike to Myanmar: "My sources, high in the mighty MM gov't say no at this time to self guided riding. The ride out of the border north of you is on very restricted roads 80 km in. I can do permits, no problem. They take 2 - 3 weeks and are a slam dunk.."

Best is to contact the government's Myanmar Travels & Tours (MTT) - see post 25 for contact details or contact Phil as he knows the guy who can organize permission to ride your own bike into Myanmar.

Someone just reported as of yesterday that they will allow riding entry at Mae sot.. You cannot go Mae sot tachilek direct due to military zones but was told you can go in Rangoon, Mandalay, and then down to tachilek via a northern route.. I will get more info when I get back to cm.

He did not enter as he rocked up without a visa, just to chance it.. and there's not yet visa on arrival.. But was told if he had a visa, he could have simply ridden in.. No permission required..

Whatever the actual legal system is, that's what immigration at Mae sot are saying... And as they are the gatekeepers it seems worth a go..

Can you clarify what immigration at Mae Sot means? Myanmar Mywaddy Immigration officers have said it's ok, without a Myanmar guide or any permits for the foreign motorcycle, to enter Myanmar, with the foreign motorcycle, just a Myanmar immigration visa? Is that what you mean?

Someone just reported as of yesterday that they will allow riding entry at Mae sot.. You cannot go Mae sot tachilek direct due to military zones but was told you can go in Rangoon, Mandalay, and then down to tachilek via a northern route.. I will get more info when I get back to cm.

He did not enter as he rocked up without a visa, just to chance it.. and there's not yet visa on arrival.. But was told if he had a visa, he could have simply ridden in.. No permission required..

Whatever the actual legal system is, that's what immigration at Mae sot are saying... And as they are the gatekeepers it seems worth a go..

Report I got was yesterday Myanmar immigration said if he had the visa (he didn't) he could have crossed and ridden to Rangoon or Mandalay..

He could not ride Mae sot to tachilek direct due to military control zones.. But interestingly they said you can ride Mandalay and come down to tachilek from the north.. Never heard that and the map of restricted areas would show otherwise.

It would seem they will let you enter one point and leave another.. This would seem to be not just the "border zone" area restrictions but real enter and ride outside of the conflict areas.. Time to get a visa and rock up and see.. No other way to know without pushing the issue. Will get the dizzy serviced and in dirt trim ASAP.

We will all be watching with interest, maybe times are a changing, but as of 8 weeks ago, foreign motorcycle groups entering Myanmar needed it's itinerary approved in Rangoon and accompaniment of a licensed Myanmar guide to qualify for entry into Myanmar.

Report I got was yesterday Myanmar immigration said if he had the visa (he didn't) he could have crossed and ridden to Rangoon or Mandalay..

He could not ride Mae sot to tachilek direct due to military control zones.. But interestingly they said you can ride Mandalay and come down to tachilek from the north.. Never heard that and the map of restricted areas would show otherwise.

It would seem they will let you enter one point and leave another.. This would seem to be not just the "border zone" area restrictions but real enter and ride outside of the conflict areas.. Time to get a visa and rock up and see.. No other way to know without pushing the issue. Will get the dizzy serviced and in dirt trim ASAP.

For Myanmar make sure that you have a visa in your passport as there is no "Visa on Arrival" at this moment although this option may become available soon. Entering Myanmar on your own bike is possible but you will need to have permission to do so (again valid at this moment). This permission can be arranged and normally takes a few weeks to organize.

From a guy here in Chiangmai who organizes self-ride trips on own bike to Myanmar: "My sources, high in the mighty MM gov't say no at this time to self guided riding. The ride out of the border north of you is on very restricted roads 80 km in. I can do permits, no problem. They take 2 - 3 weeks and are a slam dunk.."

Best is to contact the government's Myanmar Travels & Tours (MTT) - see post 25 for contact details or contact Phil as he knows the guy who can organize permission to ride your own bike into Myanmar.

Noted on your info.
We will apply Visa in advance, for sure.
Will update our moves here.

Also worth remembering.. this is the second.. separate immigration official with the same response.. first one was to Alan in tachilek a week or so ago.. this one to Jeff in mae sot.

One could be confusion.. but with 2 reports now it starts to look like a pattern.

We won't know until it's tested... properly with a pre applied visa. Being told yes, and actually crossing, are 2 different things.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

If I was a betting man, I would bet that there's some lost in translation here. They've seen foreign bikes coming through, so think it's OK but are unaware of all the paperwork approval in Rangoon that's needed before hand, lets hope I'm wrong.

Also, if yo can get it in, the lawsuits from previous and existing tour groups that have paid USD$ 10,000 a trip for Myanmar permits will be interesting.

Also worth remembering.. this is the second.. separate immigration official with the same response.. first one was to Alan in tachilek a week or so ago.. this one to Jeff in mae sot.

One could be confusion.. but with 2 reports now it starts to look like a pattern.

We won't know until it's tested... properly with a pre applied visa. Being told yes, and actually crossing, are 2 different things.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Response from a licensed, legal, motorcycle tour operator, who has a motorcycle tour commencing soon in Myanmar:

"Never know - it might set a bad precedent for riding there. Self-drive is not an option in Myanmar, no car rental or bikes but it does happen around Mandalay and Malawayine. If they have a problem or cause someone there to get in trouble with work (army/police) you can bet it will have ripples all across the tour companies working there. I've an email into a top dog there, see what he says in a few days. Tour goes in mid December, 5 riders confirmed".

Some comments from another licensed motorcycle tour operator:

"
yeah, this was cost (USD$ 10,000 - 10 bikes USD$ 1,000 per rider) for lodging, food, petrol, accompanying vehicle, etc. - not for permits. As has been mentioned on the thread on your website, you are not allowed (yet) to just go in on your own. You will need a permit from the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism and you need to be under the care of either Myanmar Travel & Tours (state-owned tour operator) or any private tour operator such as what I use...
Also, those areas which were always termed "restricted areas" are still a no-go. Hence, Kengtung - Taunggyi cannot be done. Likewise, it is not possible to ride to certain other areas which are considered "restricted". Furthermore, I do not believe that motorcycles would be allowed to enter Yangon - they simply do not want motorcycles there. Bagan, Mandalay, Inle Lake, even Naypyitaw are all OK by motorcycle..."

Yeah Rangoon / Yangon is a motorbike free city I have heard..

As to the no free travel.. We will soon see..

Found this on another forum:

Crossing from Mae Sot to Myawaddy will allow full access to the rest of the country (except restricted areas) except that currently, only caravan tours i.e. tours with an accompanying convoy are being made easily (found this out yesterday - 5 September 2013). These tours are currently running twice a month or even more often, with just a month advance notice required and you can go in a car tour or a motorcycle tour.

There are at least 2 car tours operating next month, one enters Myawaddy on the 20th next month, the second one on either the 31st of October or the 1st of November. They aren't particularly expensive either - an all-inclusive 10-day tour with your own car costs about 55,000 Baht. The car documents and insurance cost just 5000 Baht and the other fees include accommodation, meals (I think) and other incidental costs, entrance fees etc. and this is based on departure from Bangkok and returning back to Bangkok.

So to clarify on the above.. You can cross.. You can ride 'the rest of the country'.. But you have to be with a tour for what part ?? Just to get out of the Myawaddy zone / Shan state bit ??

Who does the tours, where can any schedule be found ?? Where was this info posted ??

I am a little confused as I dont see being on a 10 day tour being compatible with having full access to the rest of the country..

OK, the other forum is Thai Visa. I have asked for more info but up to now no further info yet.

Here is an excerpt of the latest info (posted on 10 September) from a guy who lives in Myanmar and traveled to Bangkok and then went to Mae Sot:

For me I have a multiple entry business visa for Myanmar. I flew from Yangon to Bangkok because I had business there. Took the bus to Mae Sot from Bangkok. Crossed the border. Stayed one night at a hotel in Myawaddi. Took a taxi to Kawkareik the next day. 2 hours drive for 41 miles (70 km) Stayed one night in Kawkareik at a hotel there and then took the same taxi back. Crossed back out and here I am in Mae Sot.

Things you need to know: That road between Myawaddi and Kawkareik is really rough, but incredibly scenic and only one way on alternate days. This month September 2013 odd days are coming to Myawaddi, even days are going to Kawkareik. If there are 31 days in a month this will change. So till end of October will be the same but November will be the opposite and so it goes.

You need to have a visa for Myanmar to proceed, but you can go to any unrestricted area in Myanmar. They even have a sign up to tell you where these are and they gave me a copy to put up on the internet for them. Immigration were really helpful and friendly.

You can buy a MPT GSM sim for 1500 kyat ($2) at the border. Get it even if you dont want it and once in Myanmar that is worth 70,000 kyat and you can give it to anyone and they will love you. These are rationed in Myanmar so this is another privilege for foreigners.

You can travel onward by hiring a car, taxi, van, or motorcyle. You can only bring your own vehicle in with prior permission. Immigration could not tell me how to do that, but suggested for me to make enquiries with Myanmar Tourism and Tours MTT. Also you need to report yourself by showing passport when you leave Myawaddi and as you enter Kawkareik. My driver did not and we got into a little trouble for that. It is all new and next time we know. There are areas in between that are the territory of the DKBA so you are not allowed to stray off the road. I tried to go to a monastery in that area to visit a famous monk near Kawkareik but was turned back by the immigration and police.

Back
Top Bottom