1993 DR650R or RSE?

Faz Harris

Bikes
Kawasaki KLX 250H
Guys,
i am in Malaysia, and contemplating buying a used DR650 (the guy stated R but the chasis number indicated RSE..dunno the diff anyway)..and its cheap.

However, can you guys advise me on the possibility of spare parts (original parts) for the bike either in Thailand or Singapore?

The bike has a KLR 650 carb and muffler. I am thinking of getting the original parts.

The availability of parts will greatly influence me to buy the bike or not.

I wanna have the bike with original parts and make it a tourable machine...touring Malaysia to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia and make u guys buy me lunch and dinner...haha
Rgds,
Faz.

I'm not a fan of that iteration of the DR650. Troublesome. But since you're in Malaysia ... it really depends on just how common or uncommon that bike is there.
If there are still a lot of them running around or if breakers have old ones, then you would probably be OK. Not sure your local Suzuki dealers would be able to get parts for that older bike.

I own a "new" generation DR650. These started in 1996 and are still imported to the USA today, but not imported to Europe. Not sure about Asia. The new DR is 100% better than the older one. Elec. start and single carb are just the obvious differences, but there are so many major improvements to the post 1996 bike. The Oil/Air cooling SACS system is a major up grade ... and everything is better and stronger.

Unless there are lots of these bikes running on the road ... then I would avoid this bike. Remember: Suzuki will only support a machine for about 20 years. After that you may not be able to find parts easily, or you would have to order from Europe and find NOS. Almost nothing from the pre 1996 DR650 will work on the new DR650 and vice versa. Not compatible. However, from 1996 to present ... all DR650SE's are the same. Everything is interchangeable.

My advice would be to buy something common, a bike that offers used parts are available and cheap in your area.

Good luck! :DD

Thanks Mick....yep..u're right...my mechanics says stay away from them....Looking a KLR 650.....any comments from the sifus around here?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
brake034 Bike Talk 16
Back
Top Bottom