13 tooth front sprocket for CRF

Russ McDermid

Bikes
Honda Transalp XL700VA in the UK, and a CRF250L & V-strom in Thai.
As shopping around is best left for the ladies, can anyone tell me the best place to get a decent 13 T sprocket for the CRF250
Or do Honda actually carry them ?
Russ

Found - but beware.

I managed to buy one at CM Motocross shop, @ 495 Bht.
But, beware as its not a simple fit - on the JT Brand 13T replacement, the tapped holes for the sprocket retaining plate are not in the right places.
Either you have to get 2 new tapped holes put in the sprocket, or grind the hardened plate in a couple of places (which is probably the easier option).
Its not difficult, and maybe other sprocket brands have been made correctly... but be warned.
Having changed mine now, I'm very pleased with the result.

I bet the difference will be fantastic, that's a smart change to make Russ, even if you have to mess around a little.

I've seen them on Ebay, I'm wondering if these need modifying as well? It would be nice to be able to source ones that fit and need no modifications. I think it is a worthwhile mod price to performance gain unless you are doing really long road rides.

is it just a matter of adjusting the chain or did you have to take a link out?

Yes, I have seen them there too, and I guess it just needs the question asked to the supplier directly.
I didn't need to take any links out of the chain, and I still have a good amount of adjustment left.
Now, having done about 3000 km on the smaller sprocket, I can't ever see me changing back ... for me, it was a great mod.
Russ.

I just fitted mine the other day and I'm glad I did! I had a Drexel so an easy mod to make the plate fit. I used some loctite for added security as well.

Honda should have geared this bike with a 13 tooth front sprocket, it is so much better, highly recommend doing it. I like how I can take 90 degree corners in third now and it doesn't chug and chain rattle like with the 14 tooth, I was having to drop to second and then that was a little low.

I just fitted mine the other day and I'm glad I did! I had a Drexel so an easy mod to make the plate fit. I used some loctite for added security as well.

Honda should have geared this bike with a 13 tooth front sprocket, it is so much better, highly recommend doing it. I like how I can take 90 degree corners in third now and it doesn't chug and chain rattle like with the 14 tooth, I was having to drop to second and then that was a little low.

Glad it worked out I must do this.

Back
Top Bottom