$12 a month (or less) unlimited calls to the US with Andriod devices.

DaGimp

I've been trying to figure out a way to make free calls back the US without having to purchase a new phone (mine isnt compatible with GSM networks in thailand).

I havent tested this, but I'm fairly confident it will work.

You will require.
1. Googe Voice account (you will require a gmail account to have this). This allows you to make free phone calls (and texting) from any computer/laptop/PDA while in the US. I've used it for years. This is the catch, it only works when connecting to it from a US computer.
2. Express VPN (or other service like it) $12.95 US a month, this is VPN service that has servers all over the world. This is not only a very secure method of connecting to the internet, its also makes you invisible to tracking. They happen to have many servers in the US, when running their software you will appear to be connecting from the US if connected to a US VPN server (for fooling google voice). You can use any VPN service you'd like, I choose one for the simplicity of getting working on my computer and my android phone.
3. GrooveIP, this is the software that runs on your Android device that connects to GV for calls. ($4.99 US). Full laptop/computers will not require this software, once you have google voice working, install the google voice plugin to your browser, then open/reopen the GMAIL page. You will now see the option to make calls from the left hand column of that page. This does require obviously you have speakers and microphone.

Pros
1. Almost FREE.....
2. You can use google voice to make inexpensive calls all around the world, as long they think you're connecting the US.
3. By already paying a VPN service like ExpressVPN you can connect to any open public wifi with much greater security.

Cons
1. Its not completely free.
2. Depending on your tech skill level this may be difficult to get working.
3. Still requires a DATA connection. My hotel I'm staying at includes WIFI.

I will be updating this post once I've landed and can test it.

The problem is we cant get google voice.. It not only uses IP to determine location, but also when trying to sign up (I was using a US IP) it detects your android account settings, which I think use your SIM card operator, to block you for not being in the US.

Same way I couldnt trick the play store to order a new nexus phone to my US shipping address, even with a US VPN.

I use both skype and google hangouts for voice calls.. Actually prefer hangouts now as skype has really gone downhill. Almost no one I talk with still needs phone calls tho, all family and business contacts are on VoIP / video conference, my bank is about the only one I can think I have to call with a phone call.

google voice free text is working in patong. Still working on calls

But you cant sign up to get it without a USA based google account.. Thats the hitch.

Back
Top Bottom