110 vs. 125 little bikes

terrytreks

Bikes
scooters
I'm still trying to decide what kind of little bike to get to ride across Vietnam, and into Laos. I don't know much about motorbikes. All the used bikes for sale here are really cheap, like $300. I'm concerned about having mechanical problems with such a cheap bike since I'll be on the road for so long, at least two months. So I'm considering buying new. But what kind? I prefer semi-automatic. Carborated models are significantly cheaper than fuel injected ones.

A new 110 cc Wave RSX goes for about $1,000. That's about as much as I'd like to pay. A new Future 125 cc goes for $1,200. Is the bigger engine worth the 20% higher price?

What country is going to be your starting point ??? you need to consider is it best to have a Laos plated bike or a Vietnam plated bike ???? and then you need to see what bikes are available in that country ??? .

As to 110cc or 125 cc not really going to make much difference but try and travel light and do go for a gear bike and not a semi-automatic will help on hills to hold a gear, change the road tyres for a set of 50/50 not all the roads are paved ??? and if you hit rain you will be happy with the change of tyres .

That's the best I can offer and please post here how you get on with loads of pictures.

Good luck

I'm still trying to decide what kind of little bike to get to ride across Vietnam, and into Laos. I don't know much about motorbikes. All the used bikes for sale here are really cheap, like $300. I'm concerned about having mechanical problems with such a cheap bike since I'll be on the road for so long, at least two months. So I'm considering buying new. But what kind? I prefer semi-automatic. Carborated models are significantly cheaper than fuel injected ones.

A new 110 cc Wave RSX goes for about $1,000. That's about as much as I'd like to pay. A new Future 125 cc goes for $1,200. Is the bigger engine worth the 20% higher price?

I would not worry to much about the mechanical problems as everywhere you will find mechanics who can get your bike on the road again. Here is a long story about a trip in Vietnam which includes a rebuild of the engine for just 100 dollar - Scootering-vietnam-more-fun-than-sounds

IMG_2980.jpg

We are doing the route of Vietnam from north to south (including some of the northern loop) then on in to Cambodia and Laos, before returning to Vietnam to sell the bikes. We opted for two new Detech Honda win 125cc. I would certainly recommend going the geared route if possible, and echo the thoughts regarding tyre choice. Some roads are interesting!
As of today, we've already covered 2,200 km in 3 weeks. A couple of mechanical challenges - broken front brake and rear brake assembly on one of the bikes - both fixed at side of road mechanics for a few dollars. Destroyed 5 spokes on one days ride on particularly rough trail. So had spokes replaced and wheel fully tightened and trued ($2.50 including the spokes). Oil changes and a very basic service / bike check comes in at 100,000VND typically.
We are publishing our route maps and small write ups on blog site (www.tracedaroundasia.com). Happy to try and answer any other questions as well if we can.

Back
Top Bottom