Steam-trains, Castles and an old Harley

I saw plenty of steam trains somewhere near Oxford. I'll ask where they were.

Go to the Bluebell Railway Sussex, I believe it goes through to East Grinstead now. There you catch a steam train to Shefield Park. where the loco sheds are. I have not been to the Bluebell for 20 years but I think this info is correct.
At Shefield park you might see 0-4-0 tank loco Baxter. This was the little engine I drove when still a quarry engine when i was a cute 13yo.

Yes Lone Rider , that's the one , what a little beauty. Thanks fot the pic.

Just got the reply from Gazza, my friend who used to live near Oxford:

Quainton, near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire. There is also the Bluebell railway in Sussex.

I seem to recall they had a "genuine" Thomas engine there (Quainton) even.

Thanks very much guys.
Bluebird it will be.
Off to King's Lynn, Canterbury, Dover and Margate now.
Thunderstorms predicted later today!

Well, that was quite a ride!
Now here in olde Canterbury.

DSC09946.jpg

The locals are all talking about 'Geoffrey' and 'Tails'.
Must be a pub game.

More tomorrow.

Thunderstorms here today Phil.
Wanted to see cliffs of Dover, catch up with a RideAsian who lives nearby and go into Royal Tunbridge Wells for a loco ride.
Then around to hastings and into battle!

Ally ... :RE
I'm finding this a rather pretentious place.
More soon.

Regards to you both

"This" ? .. the region you're in or UK as a whole?

Thunderstorms here today Phil.
Wanted to see cliffs of Dover, catch up with a RideAsian who lives nearby and go into Royal Tunbridge Wells for a loco ride.
Then around to hastings and into battle!

Ally ... :RE
I'm finding this a rather pretentious place.
More soon.

Regards to you both

I hope he didn't mean the forum....

23rd August

So it was dull from Hull, over the Humber Bridge ...

DSC09935.jpg

... along the A15 through Bisham Wolds, A18 through Kilby and Whyham then the A16 through Burwell and Boston.

Lots of this ...

DSC09936.jpg

... due to a 3 day Bank Holiday weekend.

The A17 to King's Lynn and a breather.

The BP station was selling Aussie wine!

DSC09937.jpg

DSC09941.jpg

Damn expensive to run a car here!

The A10 to Milton, onto the M11 the M25 ... YUK .... what a nightmare!

DSC09940.jpg

I noticed locals on bikes zooming through the stopped/crawling traffic, so I did likewise.
No-one seemed to mind; in fact many drivers moved across to give me more room.
And I wasn't arrested at the toll-gates.

And another bonus of bike riding is that we are waved through without have to pay a toll.
Love it!

So then the A2, A228 and M2 to Canterbury.

DSC09944.jpg

DSC09942.jpg

DSC09945.jpg

Raining!
I'll have a bit of a look around and maybe off to Dover then for a loco ride (as suggested by others).

"This" ? .. the region you're in or UK as a whole?

He surely can't be referring to Hull as pretentious... I think that observation is impossible - unless you come from Middlesbrough.

Some of them Lincolnshire roads are pretty good - if you take the traffic away.

"So it was dull from Hull" You're a poet and didn't know Ron :hmm

Keep off the A1 South at ALL costs !!!!

I had planned to explore Olde Canterbury today, but the wevva made that impossible.

Actually, that charming little Falstaff Hotel provided me with the worst night of lack of sleep I have ever had in a guest room anywhere.

My room was next to a footpath and, being a holiday weekend, the young and restless were up to their games right outside my window until the early hours.
The traffic noise was horrendous and the elephants upstairs didn't stop jumping around until 3am. All-in-all a terrible night for an expensive room.

So I arrived tired and checked out tired.

After speaking to the manager ...

DSC09947.jpg

... who owns this, I did receive profuse apologies and a discount.
And a free beer and coffee!

DSC09950.jpg

Nice drop too.

Big rain storms arrived, so I sat in the Reception area (only location where I could get WiFi) and did some homework.

DSC09949.jpg

I met their security guard and looked around.

DSC09948.jpg

DSC09951.jpg

DSC09952.jpg

Sadly, it was far too wet to explore the city and too congested also.
I did catch a glimpse of the Cathedral, but the traffic did not allow me to get near it.
Pity.

So I bit the bullet and hopped onto old 'Bluey' and headed along back-roads towards Royal Turnbridge Wells.

I arrived there soaked to the marrow and checked many places which had 'no vacancies'.
I suspect, with some of those places, it was my bedraggled appearance that created the 'no vacancies'.

So I bit another bullet and headed into Battle, where I am now ensconced in a friendly, warm and inexpensive B&B.
Gloria is already drinking my room fee!

I road the backroads in an attempt to get away from the traffic which was splashing torrents of water as they progressed towards and past me on the A roads.

What a pity the weather was gloomy, because what I rode through today must look delightful on a sunny day.

DSC09953.jpg

DSC09954.jpg

I retreated to a bus-stop shelter to check my GPS.
There was local flooding and many roads had streams flowing across them.

DSC09955.jpg

However the foul weather didn't stop this event.

While checking around RTW I spotted this, which one doesn't see too often.

DSC09956.jpg

So I'll be here 2 days, mostly to dry out my ridng gear, but also to go back to this little place for a very special, for me, reason.
Little Penhurst church.

DSC09957.jpg

Also to explore Battle, which looks like an intriguing place.
And I've already met some friendly and unpretentious people there!

Now 'fingers crossed' because I had my first little mishap today and hope to revive my Montana which slipped through my wet fingers
and fell onto a footpath, suffering concussion.

Shame about the weather mate, No better over here, raining all night again. Spitfire is very good beer , as you now know , the bottle of Britain , No Fokker comes close.
If you get to the Bluebell say hello to Baxter for me. Hey how old was the Falstaff ?

First bit of good news is that Garmin is now unconcussed.
Just a matter of removing and replacing the battery .... and praying. 8-)

Second bit of good news is that the SUN IS SHINING and my gear is drying. :)

So here's yesterdays route which, as I've said, would have been wonderful in sunshine.

Canterbury in the rain to Kennington, across the M20 to Bethersdon and Tenterden, to the A286 through Kilndown and to Tunbridge Wells
where there was no accommodation (and no train ride). To Frant, Mayfield and Penhurst via narrow lanes then into Battle
where I dropped the Garmin and concussed it.
So from there it shows a straight green line to Ashton House B&B between Battle and Hastings where I am recovering.

DSC09958.jpg

The local hotel owner once owned all the land around here including this farmers cottage which was built in 1840 and named 'Ashton House'
and which is now an excellent B&B.

So I'll have a good look around Battle today and return to the Parish Church at tiny Penhurst.

Hey how old was the Falstaff ?

Sorry Feel, unless this is a too subtle joke 'mai kow jai'.
You mean Flagstaff?
See photo. But many renovations of course, so it's just the site that was the original 'Coaching Inn'.

Avoid room 30 if you're ever there and desperate for a bed. :mad:

By the way; good to see you on RideAsia 'Steamin'.
Now there's no excuse not to report on (some) of those PCX rides you do.
I know you see some attractive sites.

Given the thorough drenching we all received yesterday, I thought this sticker in 'my' B&B bathroom to be quite ironic.

DSC09959.jpg

What a difference a day makes!

Today my clothes are drying in the sunshine and I was able to do some exploring in the dry.

First to quiet little Penhurst, just outside of Battle.

Along narrow lanes ...

DSC09960.jpg

DSC09963.jpg

DSC09981.jpg

... past ancient fields basking in the English sunshine ...

DSC09977.jpg

DSC09978.jpg

beside a duck-pond ...

DSC09974.jpg

DSC09973.jpg

... is the Penhurst Parish Church, originating back to 1400 and a few years.

DSC09965.jpg

'So?', I hear you ask.

Well, at the back of this ancient, humble and peaceful Church is the 'modern' part of the cemetery.

DSC09970.jpg

And amongst these graves lies one of my personal favourite people.

A man who, although he attained wealth and fame (for a while), lived a tormented professional and personal life.
Yet he persevered and always aspired to climb greater heights in life and 'on stage'.
He died a sad and lonely person at too young an age.
But he gave it all a 'fair shake of the stick'.

DSC09966.jpg

Yep, resting at peace not far from where he once lived and where he died Mr Harold H Corbett of 'Steptoe and Son'.
The belittled, frustrated and unfulfilled 'son', actor and person.

So, Harry H, here's a toast to your memory.

DSC09967.jpg

harry_h_corbett.jpg

A TANGLED WEB: You Dirty Old Man!

and, of course, this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VgcxE9Lpw

The last three paragraphs pretty well sums it up.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/30/1030508122380.html

-

Then into battle; but it's gone 6pm and I need a drink first.
In the name of research for readers of this thread of course.

Battle is a nice place.
I met some very friendly locals (none of whom knew about nearby little Penhurst!).

DSC09989.jpg

DSC09991.jpg

DSC09990.jpg

The history wasn't taught in the Aussie schools I attended (not much was!), so here's the info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Abbey

"In 1070 Pope Alexander II ordered the Normans to do penance for killing so many people during their conquest of England. So William the Conqueror vowed to build anabbey where the Battle of Hastings had taken place, with the high altar of its church on the supposed spot where King Harold fell in that battle on Saturday, 14 October 1066."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle,_East_Sussex

"It is the site of the Battle of Hastings, where William, Duke of Normandy, defeated King Harold II to becomeWilliam I in 1066."

Quite a few original buildings close to the abbey.

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

And some quirky businesses.

DSC09985.jpg

DSC09992.jpg

Nearby 'St Mary the Virgin' church is ancient and well worth a visit.

DSC09988.jpg

The original structure was built in 1115 and the most recent in 1450!

DSC09995.jpg

DSC09996.jpg

DSC09993.jpg

Last day of my adventure on Tim's Harley tomorrow, when I'll find an interesting route from Hastings to Southampton
(and mix it with the Bank Holidayers returning to their homes!). I see many minor roads ahead! :roll:

That's it Phil ... "Art mirroring life? Is this the reason why Corbett and Brambell's performance in Steptoe was so good? Tragicomedy on screen, tragicomedy off. Harold Steptoe would have loved the idea. Albert would probably have hated it."

One of my personal favourites Ron I can share the series when you get back.

By the way have you clocked how many miles you have covered todate ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Congratulations Ron, a brilliant trip report, a presentation of 'one mans view' of the UK and pretty good for helping the tourist board ;)

But as a child of 'the 60's revolution' this paragraph from that article was how I used to hate the old man & cringe at corbetts inability to break from the trap he was caught within. Indeed, a true reflection it turns out of my own life.

In Steptoe, writers Ray Galton and Alan Simpson sought to highlight the generational tension between parents and children at the centre of the '60s revolution. Harold and Albert Steptoe were imprisoned in their relationship. Throughout the series, they bicker and berate one another. Whatever heights Harold aspires to, Albert brings his son tumbling down.

But this is how I shall always remember the actors.

Brambell either stayed in his hotel room drinking gin and calling the tour manager to organise a pedicure, or cruised the esplanade at Surfer's Paradise in a feather boa with new-found friends. Brambell told the tour manager that Corbett was a pompous and stuck-up actor. Corbett would just remain quiet and get on with the job, simmering inside. "Hate, that's the only word I can think of," says tour manager Kevin O'Neil.

Thanks for taking us on your trip Ron.

Ally

Yes Bob, the distance ridden will be in my summary.

Today's final stage via Hastings and around the coast to Tim's place on the other side of Southampton.

Yes Ally, there is such a lot of real life in that brilliant 'Steptoe and Son'.
Next ... Ireland!

26th August

Now safely back in Southampton after a wonderful tour.
Too knocked to do report, which can wait until tomorrow.

Flagstaff, sorry Ron that is in Arizona , Route 66. You stayed at the FALSTAFF !!! No leally go look.

26th August

The final leg.

I tried to follow the coast as much as possible from Hastings to Tim Gnasher's home in Southampton.

Hastings to Westham to Newhaven.

Through the lovely Sussex countryside.

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

At Hove I found this lady basking in the sunshine on the pebbles.

DSC00013.jpg

Through Chichester and onto the M27 around Southampton, past where it all started at Beaulieu.

And after a few million gear changes ...

DSC00015.jpg

... handed the keys of 'Bluey' back to Tim.

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

The tour was 3119 miles (5019 Kms).
Absolutely no problems with the '91 Harley (who ever doubted?).
No incidents on the road.
Didn't leave anything in a hotel room!

I thoroughly enjoyed my brief time in the UK and am already planning next year's Ireland and Nth Ireland ride.

This has been a wonderful experience, made possible by the generosity of Mr Tim Gnasher; thanks Tim.

Thanks to bsacBob for the travelling music and to BobS for the research material.

The Garmin was excellent, and survived a thorough drenching and a drop onto concrete.
Thanks to Auke for the maps.

So we went out to celebrate (and research).

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

(Steak and ale pie)

So the ride is over but there's more to see.
Tim is talking of a loco ride on the Watercress Line and a bike meet at Poole Quay.

You want bikes?

Just now back from the wonderful Poole Quay Bike Show which is held every Tuesday night.

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Captain_Slash International Ride Reports 4