First touring test of my Suzuki Burgman 200cc maxi scooter

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
The Suzuki Burgman 200cc maxi scooter ( Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Scooters - Products - Burgman 200 - 2014 - UH200A } , had been purchased with the intention of being the perfect touring scooter so that my wife and daughter could come riding with me( it breaks my heart to leave my daughter behind, you only have one chance to be in their life, so this might be the answer).

All the luggage fitted under the seat, stereo on full power, everything looking good.

P1120874_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

more to come

Needed a decent run to test it for the first long distance ride without anything to crazy (tight and steep) like the western side of Doi Tung, so we decided R 118 to Chiang Rai then R1 to Mae Sai would be a gentle first test. So off we go, onto R 118 and the Burgman 200 sat quite happily at 100 km/h without any strain at all. Som said cornering was a breeze, very well balanced. ABS braking is superb too.

I really think the maxi scooter is the way forward for many who like to cruise on motorcycles, the comfort, luggage space convince and fuel economy, make it and excellent exploring machine.

1469948_10152878686078345_8490150610267966909_n.jpg

The Fuel economy on the Suzuki Burgman 200 is outstanding. Compared to my Honda CRF 250 L, which has a 13T front sprocket, so does rev higher than it should (using more fuel), the Burgman 200 used almost half the fuel when we topped up each time. This was cruising at an average of 90-100 km/h. We checked it several times and it was always the case. The Bergman 200 dashboard computer calculated 3.2 liters/ 100km = 31.25 km/ liter while cruising.

With plenty of time to head back to Chiang Mai the next day, we visit Wat Phuttha Sathan Tham Pla - "Monkey Wat".

P1120885 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

More in the link below about the location etc....

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand/5668-monkey-wat-wat-phuttha-sathan-tham-pla.html

Go in the mornings to see the monkeys, in the afternoon they are often up in the jungle

P1120907_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Peanuts and banana's are the food of choice, take a stick to establish some boundaries. They are tame but will show their teeth.

P1120891_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

P1120893_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

P1120901_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Babies can be fed by hand

P1120879_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The monkey's realized the peanuts were hidden in Som's bag and approached here, in the panic she dropped her camera case & an interesting power game developed as to who was the owner of it now

soms cameera case txt by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Got it back eventually

P1120900_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

P1120899_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

P1120896_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

P1120904_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

So what can be concluded from the first long distance test?

It looks like the maxi scooter is an excellent way to explore if you like to cruise on motorcycles. If you like fast cornering etc..., then obviously its not for you. Comfort, storage space and fuel economy are it's strong points, which are big selling points.

Excellent Phil, the bigger scooters are a great way to get around on, I really enjoy jumping on the scoot and getting lost for a few days.
How did the speakers hold up for sound at 100kph?

Excellent Phil, the bigger scooters are a great way to get around on, I really enjoy jumping on the scoot and getting lost for a few days.
How did the speakers hold up for sound at 100kph?

At full volume you can hear the stereo at 100km/h but not ideal

What sort of money do they go for here Phil?

I quite like the Honda Forza too.

What sort of money do they go for here Phil?

I quite like the Honda Forza too.

Honda Forza 300cc (no ABS) are 160,000 Bht

Suzuki Burgman 200cc (ABS) are 140,000 Bht

The power on the Burgman 200 is quite surprising, need to test the performance against a Forza

Excellent info Phil, I'm looking at getting the wife into coming out and about with me, have tried her on the CRF but its just a little to tall for her and she doesnt like gears so one of these may be the answer.

Excellent info Phil, I'm looking at getting the wife into coming out and about with me, have tried her on the CRF but its just a little to tall for her and she doesnt like gears so one of these may be the answer.

The Maxi Scooter is the answer, it's fantastic for them.

Forza 279cc and 24hp 192kg.

Burgman 200cc and 18hp 163 kg.

Interesting.

Sweet report Phil.
Hate monkeys.

NB
I recently bought a new CRF and yesterday topped it up after 172kms of careful and varied 'running-in'.
4.2 litres.
40.9 kms/litre!

I'm consistently getting 35km/l from my CRF.
But I do agree with the virtues of the large scooter as a bike of choice.

Excuse me Phil, have a monkey anecdote to share.

Many years ago I rode a rented Suzuki Katana to the waterfall at Nakorn Nayok.
Parked the bike under a tree where a guy was sitting on a chair and taking a few baht for using the carpark.
Turns out he had a monkey up that tree who promptly descended upon my Katana and stole the ignition key
before I could grab it! Yes, there was a fee for him retrieving my key! Nice work. :mad:

Bob and I rode through Isaan, I was on the Ducati Hypermotard 821cc , Bob on a Honda CRF 250 M. At a constant 110-120km/h our fuel consumption was the same at around 20km/liter.

Just rechecked the Burgman 200 fuel computer and it reads 2.7l/ 100km, so 37km/ liter. This was only averaging 90 km/hr though, so throttle no where near as wide open as 120km/hr

Sweet report Phil.
Hate monkeys.

NB

I'm consistently getting 35km/l from my CRF.
But I do agree with the virtues of the large scooter as a bike of choice.

Being serviced now / 1,000 km oil change, a photo of what the drive area looks like behind the plastics.

ForumRunner_20140526_114248.jpg

^ Forza 33% more hp and 18% more weight?

Being serviced now / 1,000 km oil change, a photo of what the drive area looks like behind the plastics.

Great efficient system. Talking of which,does anyone know the service interval for replacing the drive belts on the scooters here?

Dealers aren't much interested in doing them or recognising that they need to be changed not only when they break or strip.

Belt they say 24,000 km

^ Forza 33% more hp and 18% more weight?

Great efficient system. Talking of which,does anyone know the service interval for replacing the drive belts on the scooters here?

Dealers aren't much interested in doing them or recognising that they need to be changed not only when they break or strip.

Bob and I rode through Isaan, I was on the Ducati Hypermotard 821cc , Bob on a Honda CRF 250 M. At a constant 110-120km/h our fuel consumption was the same at around 20km/liter.

I rode my CRF250M 5,600km in April, mostly 100-120km/h, and even with a full box in the rear I never used more than 4L/100KM (25km/L).
I did one tank filling on full throttle, going 125 to 135, the bike used 4,4L/100km, 10% more, so should be 22,5km/L.
No way it would ever take 5L/100km, even a CB500F wouldn't use that much at that speed.
I don't know what kind of mods Bob did or how heavy/tall he is; mine has a straight-through core muffler and I took the metal screen off the air filter which increased fuel consumption by about 10%.
When I broke the bike in I even got 33km/L.

I'm interested in scooters but I don't like the seating position - too straight up. And they look so fat - not everybody goes camping and brings a tent!
I like my little Nouvo 135 and if Yamaha would make a slim, light and sporty Nouvo 200 with 16" wheels I'd buy it!

Interesting consumption figures.
My V4 gets about 18k's/L on a trip to Nan and back.

It depends a lot on your riding style. If you accelerate slowly and shift early, a V4 may use the same as a 250 going 100km/h because you have to wring the 250 out to keep up.

Scooters should use more because of the weight, wind resistance and the CVT.

Is the Burgman assembled in Thailand?

The Fuel economy on the Suzuki Burgman 200 is outstanding. Compared to my Honda CRF 250 L, which has a 13T front sprocket, so does rev higher than it should (using more fuel), the Burgman 200 used almost half the fuel when we topped up each time. This was cruising at an average of 90-100 km/h. We checked it several times and it was always the case. The Bergman 200 dashboard computer calculated 3.2 liters/ 100km = 31.25 km/ liter while cruising.
Dashboard computers are not very reliable, they're okay to compare the consumption in different riding situations.

3,2L/100km is a lot for a 200cc FI engine when cruising 90-100km/h.

Suzuki Burgman 200cc (ABS) are 140,000 Bht

That's about the same as a CRF250L, innit?

I guess the days when you could buy a Phantom 200 for 85K are over...

Okay, Phantom was air-cooled and had no ABS, but 55K more for the Burgman?

I rode my CRF250M 5,600km in April, mostly 100-120km/h, and even with a full box in the rear I never used more than 4L/100KM (25km/L).
I did one tank filling on full throttle, going 125 to 135, the bike used 4,4L/100km, 10% more, so should be 22,5km/L.
No way it would ever take 5L/100km, even a CB500F wouldn't use that much at that speed.
I don't know what kind of mods Bob did or how heavy/tall he is; mine has a straight-through core muffler and I took the metal screen off the air filter which increased fuel consumption by about 10%.
When I broke the bike in I even got 33km/L.

Regarding fuel consumption on the CRF-M, I have pretty much the same mod's as Thump plus an EJK unit, prior to the Issan ride i was getting 205 km before reserve kicked in but just before the ride my battery was dead and i think the EJK went back to stock settings but to be fair my throttle was pinned most of the time trying to keep up with Phil's Ducati .

Regarding fuel consumption on the CRF-M, I have pretty much the same mod's as Thump plus an EJK unit, prior to the Issan ride i was getting 205 km before reserve kicked in but just before the ride my battery was dead and i think the EJK went back to stock settings but to be fair my throttle was pinned most of the time trying to keep up with Phil's Ducati .

That makes sense, a full tank is 7,7L minus 1,5L reserve is 6,2L; 6,2L divided by 205km is 3,3L/100km or 30km/L.

That's very good mileage, I get about 10% less on average, reserve starts flashing at 170-180km. I'm 5'10 and weigh 78kg.

Back
Top Bottom