Yamaha 'Bolt' is here! (XSV950)

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
I'm sitting at Chiang Mai Yamaha Square watching the lads uncrate 4 brand new Yamaha Bolts!
They're here at last!
Four are here today and will be on show and for sale at 465,000 baht.

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01646.jpg

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01648.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

Khun 'Art' is the best person to speak to; he has good English. (081 1631115)

One bike is almost assembled, so I'll hang around for a while and photograph the assembled package.

Can't believe how quick they are!

DSC01651.jpg

Friendly Khun Art is the 'Chief of the Big Bike Dept'.

DSC01653.jpg

DSC01655.jpg

DSC01657.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01660.jpg

Three have been ordered already!
More are coming, including a demo bike, on 25th January.

I'm not a cruiser fan at all but this Yamaha is nicely styled and would make my head turn if I'd see it on the street.

Definitely more interesting than the new 750cc Harley. Funny, HD is water-cooled, Yamaha is air-cooled.

How do they compare price-wise?

Hi Thump.
I believe the Harley 500 and 750 will be available in Thailand in 3rd quarter of this year, so prices haven't yet been announced.
Could take a guess that the 750 would be around 450,000 though.

I went for a brief ride on the 'Bolt' today and at least got an impression of the bike.
Traffic density didn't allow me to get beyond third gear, but;

* quite comfortable
* right inner knee rubs on engine cover = hot!
* surprisingly manoeuvrable
* rear suspension very firm but there was room for more softening
* instruments not visible due to sun glare
* this one had an after market muffler and sounded mean

I'd like to get it out onto the open roads before making a judgement.
50/50 today.

The exhaust system clutters things up, it's got too many heat shields and covers, they were trying too hard there. The complete system has to go.

A nice ss system in its place would look much better.

But I wonder: why impress the girls when you can't take them for a ride? :)

why impress the girls when you can't take them for a ride?

They should be happy enough just watching as it rides solo into the sunset.
(Actually the 'pillion seat' is one of the options).

They should be happy enough just watching as it rides solo into the sunset.
(Actually the 'pillion seat' is one of the options).

Looking at it one of my first thoughts was I was surprised it was sold in a single seat config.. I could imagine a dual seat and a single seat sold aftermarket.

I see no rear footpegs either.

I'm not sure the rear end could cope with a pillion.
From what I've read the rear shocks are already at their limit with only one on board.

One example, from Motorcycle USA.

"A KYB 41mm fork and twin KYB shocks handle suspension duties adequately, but with a 220-pound rider on board, the twin rear shocks did hit the end of their 2.8-inches of travel abruptly on some of the larger potholes around San Diego."

So the rear shock isn't laid out for fat Americans and their neglected roads.

Bore and stroke is 85mm x 83mm, that should make for a lively engine that can handle some revs.

Not as oversquare as the Virago but not a longstroker like the Sportster, either.

So the rear shock isn't laid out for fat Americans

With, for example, a 90kg rider and 60kg pillion (330 lbs)the shock would be really stressed.

I found the engine's responsiveness during my short ride to be very impressive.

Good reason to stick with 40 kg pillions then ;-)

Now that the 'Bolt' has been unveiled, I was told there will be no more available until mid-year!

Any word if the MT-07 is coming?

I'd buy that one over the Ninja or the new CB650 (depending on the price)!

My wife tested a 950 bolt but the seat is still to tall and the bike is wide for her ,, the new HD 750 is 50mm lower and 40mm narrower so i reckon that will fit her , shame as we liked the bolt a lot

An Aussie review of the 'Bolt'.

bolt-2.jpg

Yamaha Bolt cruiser review - Motorbike Writer

"Yamaha wants to appeal to young urbanites looking for a fashionable bike to take on short jaunts to their local cafe or for a short blast through the hills.
For these duties, the Bolt is eminently suitable."

(MotorbikeWriter)

My wife test rode a Bolt 950 in pattaya a few weeks ago at the Burapha show ,, unfotunately its still 6cm to tall for her , but the new HD 750 is 6cm lower and 6cm narrower than the bolt so that looks like the best chance for a bigger bike for her than her venerable 250 rebel,the HD has same seat height as rebel 25''

shame as she loves the bolts look and engine ,,, but it cant be safely lowered any more than it is and she did not feel fully in control of the weaight on her tip toes .i tried a bolt in Uk its realy good

And what to think of the Bolt Café prototype shown at the Tokyo Motor Show?

I seem to remember upgrading my Harley FXR shocks and speccing the length @1/2" longer than standard, worked well. Also 'Progressive' aftermarket shocks completly transformed my Rocket111 from an uncomfortable pig into a relatively comfy and well handling bike.
Maybe a mod like that would benifit the Bolt?

Minor modifications to the next 'Bolt'.

[h=3]Bolt[/h]
15_Bolt_Blue.jpg

"Like the FZ-09′s success, the Bolt is a smash hit for Star Motorcycles. So good, in fact, Star says the Bolt and Bolt R-Spec have been the best selling metric cruisers in all displacement sizes for the last 12 months ending in April of this year. For 2015 not much has changed beyond improved legibility of the digital gauge in direct sunlight, and two new colors, Glacier Blue and Candy Red. Even the price remains the same at $7990. The Bolt R-Spec receives the same upgraded instrument, and new wheel striping as well as a $100 price bump to $8390. New colours for the 2015 Bolt R-Spec are Raven Black and Matte Silver."

(Motorcycle.com)

Back
Top Bottom