XRV RD07 Overheating Problem

Fabiano Nero

Bikes
2000 Africa Twin RD07, 2002 Baja 250
One day my XRV RD07 engine faced a sudden excessive heating because of a blocked rear brake. I only continued some 500 m to my mechanic but the heat was really unusual (though fan kept it at usual max temp). After fixing the brake I noticed that the bike did not behave like before temp wise. It heated up quicker and stayed at max/fan triggering temp after that.

We found the thermostat was broken so we replaced that. We also put heavy duty coolant (I am riding in Cambodia never below 25-30 Celsius.). The situation improved but though reaching max temp (in town and rough offroad) slower now it still stays there after that even when I return to normal speeds +80 km/h. So what else can have been broken during that first overheating incident ? Coz before that it behaved like a darling, getting to max at speeds below 40 but decreasing immediate after returning to normal speeds. I was wondering if HD coolant is slower heating up but also in cooling down ? Many thanks ! FN

Last edited by a moderator:
I would consider flushing out your coolant and cleaning your radiator as a first step Fabiano and refilling with a summer coolant.

Back
Top Bottom