WTB fork oil

Hoghead

Part of my Versys fork re-valving project entails a bit of specialized oil design, and I need some very specific oils:

RockShock 5W medium
Torco RFF 7
Golden Spectro 85/150 very light
Maxima fork oil 5
Maxima racing fork oil 5

or best of all:
Motul shock oil 2.5/20
Redline synthetic and I will blend my own for the specific cSt

Has anyone seen where to buy these in Thailand?
Note that this is Motul Shock oil, and not fork oil which is readily available.

For those with a technical bent, the issue is Kinematic viscosity expressed in cSt (centistokes units), which is a more accurate way of measuring viscosity compared to "W" units. Quite simply put, it is the relationship between the viscosity and the density of a fluid. The classic example is that honey is more viscous (thicker) than mayonnaise in a stir test, while it pours more easily (the kinematic test). This is the difference between Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids, and has strained my failing memory.

Complicating all this is that the "W" rating is not consistent between manufacturers and one needs to use cSt to make an effective comparison.
The factors I am looking for is the right viscosity (around 16) expressed in cSt at 40C, combined with a high viscosity index (VI) or resistance to thinning out at high temperatures.
For example a Motul fork oil "very light" 2.5 has a viscosity of cSt of 16.0 at 40C and a VI of 100. Given our high ambient temperatures I would like to see a higher VI
Motul shock oil 2.5/20 has a cSt of 16.1 so almost the same, but the VI is 400

Redline synthetic oils typically have VI in the very high 300's or 400.

In our climate, motorcycle forks will run in the +/- 40C temp range, rear shocks will run in the +/- 75C range and for those lucky enough to have a rear reservoir, it will be around +/- 53C. My experience is with road bikes, so not sure if this is applicable to a motocross bike where the suspension is working a lot harder.
As you may will imagine at these temperatures, motorcycle rear shocks require a much higher VI (over 300), while the fork does not.

Perhaps what I am looking for is overkill for a fork, but if it is available in Thailand then that is what I want - if not then perhaps a VI of 150 or above will suffice.

If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing

The maxima fork oil looks the same as Yamaha/Kayaba 01 fork oil, so shouldnt be too hard to find if you cant get hold of one with a higher VI.
I'm looking for the same so perhaps you would let me know where if you find some before I do

If Fox Racing Oil 5wt is what you want, I may be able to get some , but I cant find the VI anywhere online
http://www.chrome-addiction.com/p-fox-r ... ?r=froogle

same VI at 150 but a slightly lower cSt for the Yamaha/Kabaya and in fact it is my default if I cannot find the preferred brands with a higher VI.
Presumably the Yamaha dealer could get it for me but I have not checked.

I`ve just had rear bike shock rebuilt in CM.

It was done as a favour by a Thai guy who works at a place that rebuilds and repairs car shocks.
I`d assume they`d have an assortment of different weight oils etc.

I don`t know where the place is but that may be a start.

Loop said:
I`ve just had rear bike shock rebuilt in CM.

It was done as a favour by a Thai guy who works at a place that rebuilds and repairs car shocks.
I`d assume they`d have an assortment of different weight oils etc.

I don`t know where the place is but that may be a start.

Herman knows the guy that rebuilds shock's in Chiang Mai, I'll try get his number.

Looks like Fox 5w is the same as Torco, but the Fox shop is closed until 3/4 jan so I dont know what's in stock or prices

Hoghead said:
For those with a technical bent, the issue is Kinematic viscosity expressed in cSt (centistokes units), which is a more accurate way of measuring viscosity compared to "W" units. Quite simply put, it is the relationship between the viscosity and the density of a fluid. The classic example is that honey is more viscous (thicker) than mayonnaise in a stir test, while it pours more easily (the kinematic test). This is the difference between Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids, and has strained my failing memory.

Awesome!!! The perfect thing to start talking about when stuck in a lift or perhaps when sitting next to some guy in an air plane, it will enhance ones reputation for madness tremendously!!

Sorry I can't help at all with where to get the right oil... the only places I would know that are somewhat professional are Dirt Shop and Red Baron in Bangkok, maybe they will have the right stuff.

Hassman

Alex
I understand that Fox, like other brands, is re-bottled Torco, but I do not have the specs for Fox 5.
Please advise the cSt at40C and VI

if in fact it is the same as Torco 7 then that is exactly what I want. Please let me know

I don't know anything about fork oils but http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycles/fork-oil.html provides quite a bit of information on the different oils available like:
Reported cSt @40C (centiStokes),
Reported cSt @100C (centiStokes),
Reported Viscosity Index (VI),
Recaclulated Viscosity Index (VI),
Viscosity/ Temperature Coefficient (VTC) and
VT (cSt@40/cSt@100)

Robert - Thanks for the insight on hydraulic fluids, always fun to learn.

As you know Motul 2.5 weight fork oil is available over here but does not have the VI ratings you owuld like, as an alternative I have purchased Motorex 2.5 weight fork oil here recently but my aging eyes cannot read if the V! ratings are listed on the bottle for you. Lone Riders excellent link (awesome find there Auke :DD ) does not have that weight listed. Maybe worth a dig around the internet.

Also i was just in the Chinese gents bike shop round the corner from Joe's and they have bottles of "Shock Oil" (small yellow bottle two shelves to the right of the motor oil behind the counter) in stock, though I don't know the manufacturer.

I see that Motorex 2.5 racing oil s rated at 15.1 cSt and a VI of 200. Good VI but I am aiming for 16 cSt as a starting point for my Versys project

I have see the ubiquitous yellow bottle of fork oil, but not shock oil. Will go and check. So far my hopes are on Fox 5 and am keen to see what Alex discovers.

Thanks to all with all the help on this

hoghead, the shop had a sign outside in thai,my guess is it said closed until 3jan.
I wont be here on 4th,but if you want a phone number or address etc let me know

Still waiting for the shims from the USA and will not need the oil until they arrive.
Let me know when you get back, or PM me with the directions if you are not going there in the near future
Thanks for all the help

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Karlalton Bike Talk 0
The Bigfella Bike Talk 0
Captain_Slash Bike Talk 0
H Bike Talk 6
H Bike Talk 3
Back
Top Bottom