Why not buy a Kawasaki KLR 650 in Malaysia - 360,000 bht?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
The Kawasaki KLR 650's has to be, from a value-for-money point of view, one of the best choices for an adventure bike for use in SE Asia. It's assembled in Thailand, but is not sold here. If you're just a road rider, then you will be better off with a 285,000 bht Kawasaki Versys, if you're adventurous, the KLR 650 can take you to some amazing off-road destinations.

Now, how about this - I'm told by rider's in the motorcycle business in Malaysia, that you do NOT need to be a resident to register a bike in Malaysia, I will try and confirm this 100%. The KLR 650 new is around 360,000 Bht from Kawa dealers in KL, Malaysia.

So how about the scenario that you buy a new Kawa KLR 650 in Malaysia, register it there and ride it into Thailand on temporary import, where you will have 6 months (with max 2,000 bht fine) to ride in Thailand and then a "bike visa run" to the border to renew the bike's temporary import.

To me this seems one of the best options to get a really good, adventure touring bike for Thailand, Laos & Cambodia.

2013-Kawasaki-KLR-650-Specs-588x391.jpg

A decent choice but it could be so much better - 20 year old design, limited suspension and brakes, the list goes on
If Kawi really wanted they should use the Versys engine and put it in a modern KLR style chassis.

A simple Versys engine in a KLR frame has been done in Canada, but what I am suggesting is a parts bin bike using modern parts. Easy to do if Kawi had a mind to do so. Hell I could do it if I had their parts bin

In Asia, adventure riding to semi-remote locations, you need a simple bike that you can fix/ jury rig yourself. What modern production adventure bike has those important characteristics? The only other sensible choice (remember production adventure bike) would be the Yamaha XT 660? We've had reports that the KTM 690 Enduro on very long hauls isn't super relaiable.

An air-cooled carby thumper like XR650L would be my choice. But it's just too tall for Asians.

A friend was in Kawasaki, Chiang Mai this morning & they confirmed that they WILL be selling the Kawasaki KLR 650 in Thailand, great news. Will this be the Suzuki V-Strom 650 killer?

Fascinating.
So they have suddenly decided to make it 'clean' so as to pass 'the strict Thai emission laws'??? !!
Wonder what they've done.

IF this is fact then hats of to Kawa for meeting consumer demand.
They've had many enquiries about the KLR over the last few years, I know for a fact.

Price will be the clincher.
(interesting time too, around the V-Strom 650 release in Bgk!)

From 'Motorcycle News'

"The Kawasaki KLR650 is maybe built in Thailand, but it's 100% built bonded-warehouse, which means that even it's built in Thai it's still outside Thailand basically.
So, with current production set-up if Kawasaki Thailand would introduce the KLR650 on the Thai market it will still be an imported motorcycle."

A friend was in Kawasaki, Chiang Mai this morning & they confirmed that they WILL be selling the Kawasaki KLR 650 in Thailand, great news.

This scoop deserves a thread of its own.
I'm sure a "KLR650 available in Thailand" thread would generate a lot of comment!
Let's hope it actually happens.
Long time coming!

Has this actually happened? I agree with KTMPhil that the KLR would be the perfect bike to tour Thailand, Laos and maybe Cambodia. I always fancied one in the 80s.

Has this actually happened? I agree with KTMPhil that the KLR would be the perfect bike to tour Thailand, Laos and maybe Cambodia. I always fancied one in the 80s.

Your current best choice is ฿290,000: http://www.redbaronbkk.com/products/item.php?id=150930-0000786

These aren't the latest 2014 version so you will need to update the suspension, and possibly the seat too (these were the two upgrades to the latest model), Touratech provide both. The Level 2 rear shock and progressive fork springs will cost you a little less that ฿50,000 from Touratech Thailand.

I've thought of offering Red Baron the same amount off their asking price to see what say. These bikes are old stock, imported from overseas, which I'm sure they would love to move.

Thanks for that link. If anything were to go wrong with it, BKK would be a major hassle. I've just watched a Youtube video. I didn't realise the HP was so low. High 30s, I think it said. Brisk off the mark ... for the first 30 yards.

It's like the Yamaha SR400 - a simple, classic bike, but unfortunately way overpriced here.

Checked with Red Baron yesterday, they said all the KLR 650's are sold.

Your current best choice is ฿290,000: http://www.redbaronbkk.com/products/item.php?id=150930-0000786

These aren't the latest 2014 version so you will need to update the suspension, and possibly the seat too (these were the two upgrades to the latest model), Touratech provide both. The Level 2 rear shock and progressive fork springs will cost you a little less that ฿50,000 from Touratech Thailand.

I've thought of offering Red Baron the same amount off their asking price to see what say. These bikes are old stock, imported from overseas, which I'm sure they would love to move.

Back
Top Bottom