Why do we (some of us) submit Ride Reports?

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
Some of us were discussing this topic yesterday and an interesting discussion ensued.

Some of us travel just for the ride and don't take a camera along for the ride.
Some ride, taking a camera, but keep their photos and thoughts to themselves.

Others like to ride, photograph what they see, record where they rode, then take the time and trouble to share all that in the form
of a Trip Report. That'll be me then!

Why?

By submitting a trip report do we feel the need to share what we've seen and where we've ridden?
Is it all about sharing?

If that is the case, are we at all interested in the number of people who read that report and/or reply to it?
Do we hope for feedback?
Do we need encouragement?
Is there a degree of ego and self-satisfaction involved?

Or, having submitted the report, do we 'move on' thinking only about the next ride?

Maybe we feel that a forum such a RideAsia is a sort of archive of our rides; one that we can revisit from time to time and 'do the ride again'?

Some of us believe that submitting a Trip Report after a ride is an integral part of that ride.
Sort of 'enjoy the ride for its own sake' and also 'enjoy presenting a report' afterwards.
(That'll be me again!)

So is there an 'ideal' Trip Report?

What stimulates readers sufficiently to open a title then read the report all the way through and even reply to it?
What 'pisses readers off' sufficiently whilst reading through a report that they don't want to continue?

That's what we were discussing and we thought others could join in.

For me, its the best way to share riding information. It's then documented, important things that have happened along the way are noted and not forgotten, it's then all there for everyone to benefit from. With a lot of people grateful for a free source of invaluable information, which enriches their riding experiences, they feel they would like to contribute as a thank you and that's why this works.

I enjoy writing..... always have, always will. And my aim, with my particular style, is to make people chuckle! So if I get just one reply to a forum post or trip report which makes me know the reader enjoyed it and I made him laugh, I've done my job! Doesn't matter if I'm writing about caring for heffalumps in a wildlife park (bt, dt, got the t-shirt), a blog about daily life feeding a bunch o' drillers on a working oil platform (we're back to feeding those zoo animals again!!), a lads night out in sin city or a bike trip..... I'll always put a humorous slant to it.

With bike tours in particular I like to share my experiences and hope I can help another rider with a specific hotel choice, a nice road to ride, a decent bar to imbibe in...... I guess it's just nice to be nice, to share, to bring a smile to a face..... did I ever tell you the one about when my elephant got a tractor tyre stuck on 'is 'ead? :D

To answer your questions:

"What stimulates readers sufficiently to open a title then read the report all the way through and even reply to it?"
Good informative writing style using correct spelling and punctuation, like wot I do, with loads of photos, and not boring..... I like writers who digress! Does anyone remember the fishing programme with John Wilson? Brilliant, because he used to go off on a tangent and waffle about the cow in in the next field, the nesting birds, springtime etc etc etc.

What 'pisses readers off' sufficiently whilst reading through a report that they don't want to continue?
Lists of statistics/waypoints/coords with no body or character to the report. Good info for some, but not for me Ronnie!

I too enjoy sharing the information and I know from the e-mails I get thanking me for the help they have got from my own website that a lot of people really do enjoy reading the reports.

Although I know myself that I am far from a good writer of trip reports and my pictures can not match the quality of some of you are making and posting, I still like to make an effort to put up a small report of the places I went on my trips. Above all I try to include things which may or may not be of interest to others like temples, waterfalls, etc. (most of the times with coordinates or hints on how to get there) as well as report on the condition of the roads I rode (boring for most of you as I am doing my trips in a truck) but it might be of help to some people who are planning a trip.

I enjoy reading the trip reports put up on the fora and while some are more enjoyable than others I will continue reading them as I look for things I might want to do and record information/clarifications which might help me doing the things I do best - providing information, maps, etc. to any one who asks for it. So for me I would ask riders, please take the time to put up a trip report (I know it take times and effort preparing and uploading the pictures) and include some hints of the things you liked, like good places to stay and eat and any other info which other people can use in planning their next trip.

I like to share and I like it for a sort of digital photo album. And I like to add to the knowledge base that has been invaluable to me for my own travels. I always travel solo, spend a lot of time on email and the internerd, so feedback is highly valued. Rather than telling everyone what I'm up to I'll just bulk mail a link to my reports. I try to make any dialog entertaining, humble, informative, honest and humorous. I'll click out of a report if its too wordy, technical, narrow minded or biased. I appreciate equally ride reports that push the envelope or just smell the roses.

I feel like I just wrote a blurb to go with my high school yearbook picture, so here;

Copy of IMG_0117.JPG

Thanks to all for the replies so far.
It appears, so far, that we regard 'sharing' as a/the top priority.

Share, encourage others to get off the couch, rub where I've been in someones face, repayment for help from others, for a laugh plus many other reasons.

...Some of us travel just for the ride and don't take a camera along for the ride...

This was me for years...one ride not over and already thinking of the next one..."camera?? what for??? I enjoyed the ride and remember it..." until I met my ex wife who was an avid photographer, anything and everything had to become a still memory on a piece of paper. She started taking pictures of all our trips together and rubbed off on me as I started taking pictures for her to see my solo trips...as things go...an ex wife is like a hurricane...once over everything else has left with her (including pictures and cameras of course).

So I was back to my old self...but now and then I would think about taking a pic when something particularly beautiful hit the eye...so I became this second kind Ron described:
... Some ride, taking a camera, but keep their photos and thoughts to themselves....
and it lasted a few years until my (then) GF started tagging along and taking pics...and asking me to take pics for her to see from solo rides...and since I couldn't find any time to organize anything, pictures developed would just all fly straight into the same bin (marked pictures) she started buying albums and organizing everything by trip... My reaction of course was: "wow...who would have thought this could actually become such an interesting way of sharing the beautiful places I seen with others during a BBQ and beer session"...so Canon 5000 it was from then on and stop every time you see something to take a pic, have everything printed and let the GF make an album...but wait a minute, she's gone and so are the albums. She never kept her promise to send copies (or at least the negatives that were made) and so...back to type one of course...why bother???

But somehow taking pictures and sharing with likeminded friends does rub off and so does the act of stopping for a few minutes and take that picture to immortalize that particularly great scenery in front of you, doesn't it? And technology helps of course...OK...Sony T-100 it is, always in the tankbag ready to snap away!

BUT...
....others share...By submitting a trip reports....
Why??? I rather sit in the saddle then in front of a computer...waste my time to post for some dudes I never met that most likely don't even appreciate the time I invest??? and by every blog I've ever seen the general IQ level couldn't rival with a fifth grader...people insulting each other over trivial shit...Well a friend convinced me that it is not all that bad and some forums are well worth participating, so I signed up to GTR and to my surprise...here we go...all I always hated about forums just came right out, a bunch of bullies that couldn't find the toilet doorknob without a GPS with street level display and voice command ("turn knob counter-clockwise"...that would be left you moron)...wona-be-know-it-all insulting anyone that has a clue for fear of loosing something...

Then something happened...Colin, Phil, Marcel and Ron...all telling me "hey dude...not everywhere the same" ... and so I tried Ride Asia ... and to my surprise here is a forum that has real people, real riders, sharing real experiences and real information. I can live with this...I actually like it, and people asking for information seem genuinely interested.

So Ron...I believe now, with a lot of your influence as well of course, I actually started sharing my experience and things I've done and seen because it actually makes sense. I still rather sit in the saddle then in front of a computer...but when I'm home I do enjoy interacting with like minded people, share experiences and thoughts as I get a lot of new trip ideas from so many of you here as well. I have to admit, Ride Asia is a great forum and it certainly made a member out of me.

Now let me learn how to write a proper report...as my Trans-Labrador-Highway shows I have no clue how to...but I`m a quick study so let me try again. I mean, I always stop to help when a rider is in need...I have received help at times as well, the same goes with the internet and helping plan and prepare and get ideas.

But if you ask why? Hmmm...because it makes sense to share trips so we can gather ideas for trips...share what we've done so we can see what is possible and how it is possible and strive to better our technique and reach further...we actually can learn from each other. That's what it's all about in my humble opinion.

Plus...no matter how many "Present Concubines" and future girl friends leave with the stack of pics...they remain documented on the forum...HA!!!

Bravo :worthy: Glad your enjoying the ride, after all life is a journey, with a few kinks in the road......

Well said BnC and there are many out there who would contribute more with some encouragement. I think a workshop sometime at RC about trip posting would help.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Bikesncats, that's a great post in itself ;) I don't think you need much tuition posting ;)

"we actually can learn from each other. That's what it's all about in my humble opinion."
I hope you appreciate that your opinion is valued here.

skeedary's suggestion of a workshop sometime is a nice idea for some, perhaps allowing regular ride report posters to share their modus operandi and maybe bring along some of the 'wall flowers' too. But it could also be just a great way for people ("real riders") to revel in a subject close to their hearts... riding bikes.

Ally

Glad you think a RC workshop on posting is an ok idea Ally so let's get it done. Kroo Ron should get involved.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I really like this thread, why do we ride and why do we document it?

A photographer looks with different eyes to lights, shades, objects and compositions, a view other people have not developed.
Others enjoy keeping up a written "diary" of the ride, which records places, people and events.
Some people spend time putting together GPS locations, charting and mapping their rides.
And others again put time and effort studying the history of places they have visited or will visit.

Many post their adventures (big and small) here, for others to enjoy. Certainly they will enjoy positive and/or constructive feedback, all people do.
We are all different and we should respects those differences as it's the difference that makes a person stand out as an individual!

Most people do not get born with a photographic eye, a fluent writing hand or a grasp of putting historic perspective (if so desired) into a ride.
So indeed a workshop on such documentary skills is a very good idea!

Thanks Alex for reviving this thread and sharing your ideas.

Personally, I'm at the stage now where doing a report after an interesting ride is actually an integral
part of the whole experience.

And, yes, I very much regret not documenting those precious and unique rides back in Central Oz in the early 70s,
particularly those on Aboriginal Lands (much of which is no longer accessible without going through bureaucratic processes).

I guess that's why I'm so keen to document everything now.
Mind you, modern technology (especially the digital camera and the electronic notebook) makes thing so much cleaner and easier now.

I've yet to submit a ride report but will get round to doing one at some point, most of my runs just now are just day rides, anyhing from 100-300km type stuff plan on doing longer rides over a few days but with 2 small kids I just dont have the time just now,

I really enjoy reading everyone elses reports and so hope to contribute some of my own in the near future, I dont think I'm a very good photographer but always carry my point and shoot camera which takes not bad photo's but I have a tendancy to just ride and not take many,

If this workshop on ride reports happens then I would be greatful if someone could do a right up on it also with any hints and tips for folks like myself as I don't consider myself to be any good at writing so be greatful on any tips on how to make ride reports more interesting/entertaining.

And thanks to all those that do take the time to do reports, they give me lots of inspiration and perhaps dreaming a little when stuck at work offshore.

And thanks to all those that do take the time to do reports, they give me lots of inspiration and perhaps dreaming a little when stuck at work offshore.

Many would most likely appreciate those words Rudeboy. :DD
I sure hope to read a report from you when you can get around to it.

Thank you Bob...and sorry for forgetting you, I usually put it down to my ADD but in this case I have to admit it may just be pure senility slowly catching up on me :RE

Ally, thank you for your kind words...I know when it comes to writing (anything that isn't a technical paper) I have a lot to learn so I don't come across as some lunatic that lives on total different plane of existence...especially in English, but I'll catch up.
I believe a workshop as suggested is a good idea...and I see you are actually more then just on the ball...wow, what a response!!!

Ron...I think it's a great subject and it actually does make sense to pose the question as many of us do have different ways of doing things and as Marcel said, we're all different and that's what makes it interesting...knowing what makes us tick will also help us understand each other better and avoid useless confrontations over misunderstood humor - like Rudi and I when my sarcasm about anally retentiveness as only a swiss can be...Rudi, I am swiss I thought you knew that so apologies if you felt insulted...next time I will try to phrase my jokes differently (but I'm still not taking any lectures from you just to be clear).

I've yet to submit a ride report but will get round to doing one at some point, most of my runs just now are just day rides, anyhing from 100-300km type stuff plan on doing longer rides over a few days but with 2 small kids I just dont have the time just now,

I really enjoy reading everyone elses reports and so hope to contribute some of my own in the near future, I dont think I'm a very good photographer but always carry my point and shoot camera which takes not bad photo's but I have a tendancy to just ride and not take many,

If this workshop on ride reports happens then I would be greatful if someone could do a right up on it also with any hints and tips for folks like myself as I don't consider myself to be any good at writing so be greatful on any tips on how to make ride reports more interesting/entertaining.

That's a good deal of what a ride report is intended is not? To allow us, as only a reader, to join along and share a part of another persons adventure - no matter how it's reported or photographed. Is it not created to share and for the enjoyment of others?

Very rarely wrote a ride report myself, yet scoured the forums endlessly making long notes, planning the 26 day ride through to Laos that my son and I did upon moving to Thailand years ago. Though I didn't document that fantastic experience with a ride report, to this day I am still grateful for all those that did share there travels online. Thanks to all.

Years ago I greatly enjoyed Captain Slash's picture-less ride reports of his adventures, even without images it was enjoyable to follow along, and now today when he's out riding following along is an addition: have I traveled that road, would I like to in the future, what was my experience at that hotel and restaurant, the anticipation to ride some of these routes traveled is extreme.

One tidbit that I don't think I'm alone in finding that it makes for a more engaging report; sharing how a certain picture or event during the trip made you feel, or the emotion experienced at a particular moment. It is a welcome and pleasant addition to better captivate your readers.

Simply this is a huge thank you from the readers!

I know I'm a bit tardy on my own reports, always end up thinking 'Well it's all been done before', but hopefully getting better at it.
Good time for many thanks to all those who have done it before and inspired me to have a go.
Ta All.

Writing has never been my things but riding is.
It has been 2 years that I wanted to write my solo trip to MHS, CM and Golden Triangle trip. But still never got around with it.
I also discovered that it is not easy to do the write up after your daily trip.
By the time you reach your hotel put your bags down unpack and pack again, showers, dog tired and looking for food/beers and thinking of tomorrow ride. By the time it is almost mid night and need to catch some sleep. Most of the hotel (budget one usually) internet connection is so slow that I just give up.
I really salute to Captain Slash, Phil,Colin and other riders who take their precious time to write up trip report.
Taking pictures is another hard part often I rode so fast that I miss out the nice scenery or view to take a picture.
But really appreciate the information you guys share, the places that you guys been and stayed, food, bars, pictures and things to look up.
Keep it up and hope I will be able to contribute and share some of my ride report soon.

Thank you for comment's, trip reports are not compulsory and yes they can be a pain in the :kat to do and many get pleasure from submitting information and sharing with other like minded people of the trip.

Any feedback good or bad is always appreciated.

I'm a 4-wheeler but I take great interest in the Trip Reports, check twice a day for new ones. Have gotten lots of great travel tips for Lao runs in the north from this forum.

Keep 'em comin' sez I!!

Mac

Ride reports are interesting, incenting, and informative. Years ago I used to pen them on another Asia Ride forum. Nowadays it seems I've just lost the desire to muster up the efforts to create ride reports. I don't post on riding forums as much as I once did for whatever reason. Usually it has to do with the site owners that piss me off. The sad reality is that I have nothing against the forum people itself and by not writing it ends up withholding info which is not my intention.

Last thing I posted of any interest was an equipment review on some soft luggage. Here's a link: Kriega Quick review: Overlander 30 vs GL Coyote and Dirt Bagz - ADVrider

If the mods would like it included on this site feel free to post it.

One day the urge to post further may get reignited.

All the best.

Thanks for your comments, always interesting input.

Ride reports are interesting, incenting, and informative. Years ago I used to pen them on another Asia Ride forum. Nowadays it seems I've just lost the desire to muster up the efforts to create ride reports. I don't post on riding forums as much as I once did for whatever reason. Usually it has to do with the site owners that piss me off. The sad reality is that I have nothing against the forum people itself and by not writing it ends up withholding info which is not my intention.

Last thing I posted of any interest was an equipment review on some soft luggage. Here's a link: Kriega Quick review: Overlander 30 vs GL Coyote and Dirt Bagz - ADVrider

If the mods would like it included on this site feel free to post it.

One day the urge to post further may get reignited.

All the best.

I do not submit reports as i just dont feel my rides have been interesting enough, i see the guys in CM have a lot more knowledge than myself and, i am a little intimidated by my basic biking skills.
I am trying to meet like minded people in the Isaan area, but its not as busy as other areas of thailand, so hope fully i can contribute more in the future

Jimbobs, don't be intimidated enjoying your ride is what it's all about.

You don't need to make a "war & piece" type report it's all about content, a few pictures of some of the stuff local to you would be most useful. I recall myself and Phill riding through Issan earlier this year and had a great time doing so, a little bit of local knowledge along the way would have been useful RA is not about riding around Chiang Mai it's about riding !

Alex as always your humour is welcomed by myself and maybe it's not to everybody's taste but RA encourages people to speak their mind freely without the need for moderation, all we ask if things get a bit heated on the forum please use the PM function to continue the debate, it is a motorcycle forum and like any road trip you make you will meet characters along the way, some may turn into friendships some may not, but it's all about the journey is it not ?

Alex as always your humour is welcomed by myself and maybe it's not to everybody's taste but RA encourages people to speak their mind freely without the need for moderation, all we ask if things get a bit heated on the forum please use the PM function to continue the debate, it is a motorcycle forum and like any road trip you make you will meet characters along the way, some may turn into friendships some may not, but it's all about the journey is it not ?

That idea has some mileage ;)

We could all have a group PM discussion.
Screen Shot 2557-10-19 at 18.35.16.jpg

Yeh Alex, always love your humour - especially where you go back and delete your posts from threads... HaHaaaaaa - got me there! Wonder how long ago you did that...

That's OK though cos I, like others, will have been emailed the posts from that thread as they were submitted - and so have a record of what you actual said! So, no problem with you having your bit of 'fun' - cos it was very easy for me to go back and edit my own response to your apology and add in a quote of your original post that I was replying too... No, you don't have to thank me - you're welcome.

This post on this thread: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/bike-talk/5519-long-distance-riding-5.html#post44468

I'm sure a few can remember what was said over there... Apologies must leave just too bitter a taste in your mouth, aye?

Some 10 years ago I have ordained as a monk in the very rural temple of Ban Praneeth, A. Thoeng, Chiang Rai.
Apiwattano_2.jpg

I ordained as my mother in law had recently passed away and for years I had wanted to experience the ordination and deepen my spiritual experiences.
From the experiences in the temple and the spiritual studies I did after my ordination I have learned to see the "ego self".

Before judging others, it would be good to see our own ego at work, meditate about it and than release our ego opinion in the air, not on this forum.

The night before I disrobed the monks asked me to lead the evening prayers for the lay people.
Apiwattano_3.jpg

Suggest to release ego and just enjoy the ride!

I do not submit reports as i just dont feel my rides have been interesting enough, i see the guys in CM have a lot more knowledge than myself and, i am a little intimidated by my basic biking skills.
I am trying to meet like minded people in the Isaan area, but its not as busy as other areas of thailand, so hope fully i can contribute more in the future

jimbobs, I'm in the Isaan area, Sakon Nakhon so not too far away from yourself, would love to meet up for a ride someday as like yourself I haven't found anyone local to ride with so mostly out and about on my own.

jimbobs, I'm in the Isaan area, Sakon Nakhon so not too far away from yourself, would love to meet up for a ride someday as like yourself I haven't found anyone local to ride with so mostly out and about on my own.
Ok great i am back over on the 9th of Dec, i am going to spend 4 or 5 days travelling around Isaan, i will spend a few days home with the family 1st.
I used to have a raptor back in the uk awesome machine, and a GAS.GAS quad(not as good)
There must be a few like minded people in Isaan i will PM my Email address
Nice one Rudeboy

I'd like to here about any decent riding roads around there,if any, as i spend a bit of time around Bueng Khong Long.

Thanx for sharing this, Brake 034

The level of your immersion into an aspect of Thai culture is obvious, as is your sage advice re ego

On a wider note, while I am yet to make the move to be a regular North Thai Resident and Rider, I sure as hell am looking forward to it

And reading the experiences from these forums is food for my soul, so thanx to all of you who contribute

Keep 'em coming!

Yeh Alex, always love your humour - especially where you go back and delete your posts from threads... HaHaaaaaa - got me there! Wonder how long ago you did that...

That's OK though cos I, like others, will have been emailed the posts from that thread as they were submitted - and so have a record of what you actual said! So, no problem with you having your bit of 'fun' - cos it was very easy for me to go back and edit my own response to your apology and add in a quote of your original post that I was replying too... No, you don't have to thank me - you're welcome.

This post on this thread: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/bike-talk/5519-long-distance-riding-5.html#post44468

I'm sure a few can remember what was said over there... Apologies must leave just too bitter a taste in your mouth, aye?

Damn you are the smartest dude here and must for sure be the sharpest tool in the shed.
As always you didn't get it...at all!!! (oh btw... the deleting had been done to remove "irrelevant crap" as was asked...but thanks for adding things back in that show how far off you really were, LMAO)

You know, the funny thing is, discussions always degrade into "arguments" with people that have absolutely no first hand experience. We all get the fact that you are forum literate, can use a computer and know how to google shit...but the problem starts when you present what you find on the net as the bible, even though you have never been in the position where using anything you argue about or against would become a necessity.

The fact remains, for me at least, I take real life experience over googled crap any day...and over antiquated military manuals too (most of the lost guys we were picking up on our S&R missions were using that manual...). Again, re-enter as many comments as you like dude, it still remains a "navigation without GPS subject" within a "long distance riding" thread but hey...apologies again for pointing it out and bursting your bubble once more. As for the taste in my mouth...hmmm...nothing bitter, nope...still pussy juice...

Bob, Thanks for the thumbs up...will try to keep some comedy going with these googeling goofballs

Ally...I love that idea...could turn into a real great session if we catch a moment where we can all log in together...let's try that!

Jimbobs, I am in Isaan...although without a bike at present but been riding a lot here and all over Thailand so, if you need any pointers just let me know.

Marcel, I have been thinking about doing it, the Lung Po in Wat Piung Suk has actually been asking me to do it there ever since I mentioned it. Haven't gotten around to take a month off for that experience but it is definitely on my list. As for my ego I believe it is not the issue when I post...in my opinion whether we discuss or degrade to an argument about a point it's not about "winning" (that's a stupid notion anyways)...right or wrong? It's about insuring proper information to the readers, and if we can poke some fun at each other and get entertainment along the way why not?

I always like putting some gasoline on a burning fire, especially when the combusting subject is volatile and argues googled stuff rather then real life experience.

In the end, IMHO, it is all about having fun - while sharing information and experiences of course -. Agreed we do not all have the same idea of fun and think in different ways - luckily as the world would be quite boring otherwise - but as I mentioned, the main point is about tolerance...respecting the differences of others NOT try to make them conform to what we think is the right way of thinking or doing things...(but that doesn't exclude poking fun at them).

most of the time i am too lazy to write trip reports and upload my photos , sorry ,,

occaissionaly i get the urge to write and upload stuff

Back
Top Bottom