Where to get motorcycle tires in Thailand

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Where to get motorcycle tires in Thailand

Sourcing high end brand name motorcycle tires in Thailand isn't as easy as you think. Most of the mechanics will give you the "I can order them for you" routine, but then there's another middle man to pay and usually a longer wait.

One of the best places to try is Big Bendum in Bangkok. He has in stock or can source immediately, Continental TKC 80 (aggressive dual sport), Pirelli Scorpion Trail (milder dual sport, probably the best choice for SE Asia), race slicks and high end motorcross tires. Ive ordered many tires from him, you transfer the money into his account and the tires will be in Chiang mai 700km away in 2 days every time.

Even has Avon Distanzas

avon distanzas.jpg

The Thai guy that owns the place is called Piroj - he does speak pretty good english and responds to emails and phone texts/SMS's

Phone: 089 111 5962 0r 02-222-7535

email: toger05@yahoo.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pirelli agent in Bangkok "Ko" usually has decent stock of Scorpion Trail tires usually to a rear tire width of 150 - good for a KTM 990 Adventure

His phone number is: 089 003 8886

Email: patthebun@hotmail.com

K Pat pirelli tire agent.jpg

Ko is also a distributor of:

Distributor of
> ENI(Agip) lubricants
> PIRELLI moto tyres
> BMC air filters
> FERODO brake pads
> BREMBO RACING products
> CHICKENHAWK tyre warmers

Fac me cocleario vomere

Here in Laos at the moment we are stuck with the IRC motocross tires.. Good quality and very fresh!
However they are soft terain motorcross tires, not the best trail riding option..
They are Grippy, tall and go away fast on the pavement.

Here are Comments from long time riding buddie, (1999 IN FACT) Jake, in Cambodia, Author of
Adventure Cambodia Guidebook

well that is the Dunlop on the bike for that photo, without much tread remaining. BUT, it is knobby Bridgestones that I grabbed in bkk for the 2,450 baht each.
dunlopjake1.jpg

I grabbed some Dunlop combination tires, which she likes, and they are still made in Japan, but the Dunlop knobbies are now made in Indonesia. They do have them at that same tire wholesaler in bkk that I use, but I opted for the Bridgestone Japan made knobbies...you know the theory, better to have some tight puckered rear end Jap making the tire and ready to kill himself if he screws up than some hang loose terrorist in Indo, right?
2. A Chinese Thai deals in Dunlops (my tires) and Bridgestones (harder to come by) just off from Hualongpong train station in Bangkok. Speaks English, tel: 02 222 3789. The guy mainlines tea all day and is loud and hyper, but he's ok and so are his prices.

A lady in PP has a shop near Wat Toul Tom Pong and she also has our Dunlops. Since I live in KK I usually get them from Bangkok.
PHOTO, Jake wandering around the beaches in Vietnam.

My Thai enduro buddies are running the following (in order of popularity):

1. Quick (cheapest, harder than IRC and better in hardpack, rumored to be Dunlop rebranded)
2. IRC (softer than Quick, wear faster but better on clay, a bit more expensive, a somewhat distant second)
3. Dunlop and other brands

For me, I'll just keep swapping 1,200 baht Quick rears every month or two (can't recall front price right now). Seem to be a proven solution, widely available, at a good price and I'm more interested in improving my riding than nitpicking tires anyway.

And to address the thread title - options 1 and 2 available just about anywhere you see tires or off road bikes. Prices may vary.

I've tried the IRC offroad tyre on the front of my DRZ.
It felt very unstable when new, probably because the compound is so soft.
After 1/3 wear its improving but I doubt I will buy another one.
Probably go back to Dunlop for the front.(cost $85 in Cambodia)

On the rear, I'm running an offroad tyre called SBLONE.
Great traction and seems to be hard wearing. Cost $55 in Cambodia
Has anyone used the SBLONE in Thailand ?

As for the Quick, have heard good reports about them but haven't seen them for sale in Cambo.

KTMphil said:

The Thai guy that owns the place is called Piroj - he does speak pretty good english and responds to emails and phone texts/SMS's

Phone: 089 111 5962 0r 02-222-7535

email: toger05@yahoo.com

Used him the last couple of years with out ever having an issue.. Alwasy did precisely what he said he would, was clear on stock or tyre ages etc etc..

Back
Top Bottom