Visiting Thailand with a Malaysian bike

Mat the Splat

Bikes
Honda CG125, Honda C90 Cub, Suzuki DR350
Hi all

I am currently in Kuala Lumpa, Malaysia and have bought a Malaysian bike, i was wanting to visit Thailand for a bit but am unsure of a couple of things and was hoping you could help me.

According to the Thai embassy in London, if i cross the border overland i only get a 15 day visa, can i get this extended if i want to? or would i be better getting a visa from the embassy here in Malaysia before crossing?

With all the new rules in Thailand for foreign vehicles, i saw that Malaysian vehicles are exempt from this, does this still mean i can bring the bike in for up to a month at a time? and if so how many times can i do this?

I am going to be going up through Penang on the way, any recommendations or were to stay?

Regards

Mat

Crossing into Thailand with a Malaysian registered bike - There should be no problem taking a Malaysian Registered bike ridden by a foreigner and they should give you a permit to bring the bike in for up to a month at a time. An acquaintance just did that and he had no problem.

You will get a 15 day visa but, in case you are from one of the G7 Countries: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, USA and United Kingdom you will get a 30 day visa.

It is better you get a VISA before you enter Thailand. As a tourist you can only extend your VISA-exempt status in Thailand with a few days.

Thanks for the replies guys, i am from the UK so i should get the 30 day visa by the sounds of it.
So i can grab a visa in Penang and then come across and spend a month exploring? then back to a border and extend the visa for another month? is there a limit to the amount of times this can be done?
Mat

If you get a tourist VISA you get 60 days that can be extended another 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand.

Apologies for going slightly off-piste with this thread but I'm thinking of doing similar but heading into Indonesia on a Malaysian bike. I don't suppose Mat you happened to find out if your Malay bike can get into Indo?

Hi Phil
As far as i know, you will need to get a Carnet to go to Indonesia with the bike, i have mailed the Malaysian Automobile association to inquire at the costs but have yet to have a reply :(

It is better you get a VISA before you enter Thailand. As a tourist you can only extend your VISA-exempt status in Thailand with a few days.

That changed about 2 years ago. It is possible to extend any visa exempt entry by 30 days.

However, it is still better to get a tourist visa because it allows a longer stay and there are fewer issues at airport check-in before departure.

Back
Top Bottom