Uttradit to Sayabouri Crossing, Phou Do

mactbkk

Finally gonna happen??

Mac

Uttaradit to develop Thai-Lao border pass as part of economic corridor

UTTARADIT, 20 July 2016, (NNT) - The Uttaradit Provincial Administrative Organization has announced that Phu Doo Thai-Lao border crossing will be developed as a part of the economic corridor linking the two countries.

Deputy Governor of Veerachai Phuphiengjai made the announcement on an episode of the Thailand Moves Forward television program. He spoke about the border crossing's historic significance dating back to Thailand's Lanna and Laos' Lan Xang eras. Currently, the area serves as a vital transportation hub, due to its proximity to Vientiane and Luang Prabang in Laos.

Mr. Veerachai said that the government would set aside nine million baht to renovate public facilities, construct more roads, and establish local community markets and information centers. He expects to see further cooperation with Lao partners in trade, investment, tourism, logistics, public health and education. The Deputy Governor also spoke of the need for local businesses to remain competitive in the ASEAN markets.

Meanwhile, the Uttaradit provincial chamber of commerce highlighted the importance of developing more transportation routes for logistics, in order to facilitate goods distribution to the neighboring countries.

-- NNT 2016-07-20
footer_n.gif

Don't know Mac - Uttaradit is ready and Phu Doo border crossing is ready with Visa on Arrival (VoA) but the problem for foreigners is that Laos is still not ready with a VoA on their side of the border even though Thais can cross there.

Don't know Mac - Uttaradit is ready and Phu Doo border crossing is ready with Via on Arrival (VoA) but the problem for foreigners is that Laos is still not ready with a VoA on their side of the border even though Thais can cross there.

I think the article's point has been misinterpreted here.

While Thais and Lao have been able to cross this border for the past 3-4 years or so, the border has already been upgraded to international status and opened to foreigners on Feb 8, 2015. I have crossed there twice, both times from the Thai to the Lao side. There is no problem crossing into Laos provided you are a visa exempt nationality for Laos or have a Lao visa in advance. Indeed visa on arrival is not yet available.

The article refers to the upgrading of the infrastructure on the Thai side. The customs house is small and the road in the no man's land to the Lao borderline is in poor condition, consisting of numerous potholes and a broken shoulder. As soon as you cross the Lao border on the ridge, signposts and a well paved road welcome you to Laos. The remaining 2km or so to the Lao customs building is on a superb, winding but steep road. After customs, the 25km road from there to the route 4 intersection south of Paklay is one of the best roads in Laos, probably built by the Thais. Winding, but not too curvy. Gradients are pretty gentle. Excellent lighting at night. Perfect for motorcycling. Once the new bridge over the Mekong is completed and the remaining stretch of road from there to the beginning of the new Mekong river road is finished, it will be a smooth ride all the way to Vientiane.

We did have someone here the other day that said from Thailand to Laos was now possible at the Phu Du international border crossing (ie the Laos immigration had a computer online now). This has not been validated yet.

We did have someone here the other day that said from Thailand to Laos was now possible at the Phu Du international border crossing (ie the Laos immigration had a computer online now). This has not been validated yet.

Been possible since Feb 2015. I first went across in Mar 2015 and they definitely had a computer when they stamped me in. I can upload a scan of the Lao entry stamp which says "Phou Dou" if I need to "prove" this. LOL. March this year I went again, same thing. The Thai stamp says "Nan, Thailand" rather than "Phu Doo" or "Uttaradit" for some reason. If crossing by car (using the car passport) the customs stamp will say "Nan, Phu Doo customs house" even though Phu Doo is in Uttaradit province not Nan.

But yes, the border has been open for more than a year now, but only if you're visa exempt or have a visa in advance for Laos. Most, though not all Lao borders have VOA but there is at least one other coming from Thailand that does not: Beung Kan/Paksan. A third crossing, that may or may not be international lies in Vientiane, coming by boat from Sri Chiang Mai. The boat apparently only runs twice a week and there is no VOA on the Lao side. Understandably, since the Nong Khai crossing is a mere 30km away by road on the Thai side (25km or so if coming from the Lao side) nobody except very adventurous souls with a lot of spare time on their hands would bother with this crossing.

Back
Top Bottom