Urgent - Dual sport 18 / 21's

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
I am in need of a set of 80/20 Rd / off rd tyres by next week. I dont want knobblies for this application.

I was going to use the dunlop 604's..

Dunlop%20d604w6.jpg

Hard wearing, good rough rd tyre and only 3500 per set.. Brother uses them and theres not much drag on tar, and ok for dusty / dry unsurfaced rds.. Plus cheap..

But seems no one can find me a rear in bangkok.. Am being told Nov at earliest which isnt what I needed to hear..

Next fall back plan was the Michelen Sirac.. Bit more cost but another decent tough rough Rd tyre..

sirac.jpg

Then I find out that the largest rear is a 120.. I would have assumed a DRZ wants a 140 really ?? I run 150 in super moto tyres.

anakee.jpg

Thought the Anakee 2's were going to work out.. They come in 120 - 150.. But not in an 18 inch !! Plus now we are getting into much higher prices.

Damn.. When did this get so hard !!

So the final fall back was dunlop 605's more a 50/50 tyre but hey, running out of options.. And these are everywhere.. Stock on the Kwakers.. But..

dunlop-d605.jpg

..now I am told thats only in a 120 rear ??

I could run distanzias on my super moto wheels but I really wanted the 21 inch front and those distanzias are only going to last 5k kms maybe, they are soft.. They will be gone in a single tour.. 11k baht or so puts them at 3x what I was planning to put the dunlop 604's on and will last a very short time. I could do the anakee 2's in 17 (might be into a pair after my current 17's go) but not really finding anything for 18/21 dual sport..

Getting to be a bit of a head scratcher.. I mean other markets theres Kenda dual sports.. Singapore seems to have Shinko (700's or 761's would do) dual sports.. But they dont seem to be in Thailand..

Whats stocked here that works for a DRZ for 80/20 use ???

I actually just emailed Pairoj about the 90's.. The 60's look to be a bit costly..

If a tyre is listed at being 4.60/18.. How does that measurement work ?? No profile info ?? If (as I think it works) thats 4.6 inches.. Thats +110 mm ?? So less than a 120 tire ??

LivinLOS said:
I actually just emailed Pairoj about the 90's.. The 60's look to be a bit costly..

If a tyre is listed at being 4.60/18.. How does that measurement work ?? No profile info ?? If (as I think it works) thats 4.6 inches.. Thats +110 mm ?? So less than a 120 tire ??

ive got a new rear Continental TKC 80 rear 18 x 140 here if you get really stuck, might fit.

TKC80.jpg

Thanks Phil.. Tho would rather sort out what I need than borrow..

While a 4.6 is narrower than I want (or think I want).. It may not be as bad as I thought.. I had a call and found out the 604 my brother is running is the same width.. So if thats the case, and thats bearable, I can pick up on the Michelen Siracs.

I guess the dirt rims look more appropriate with the smaller tyre than I figured it would.

Next time plan ahead a bit further is the moral.. Getting tight on time just makes for more nerves.

With a thinner width tire be careful you dont end up with square corners on the tire...fatter tire rounds everything, could be dangerous in the corners.

couple of those 600 mg pills and you'll be fine again.

LivinLOS said:
I guess the dirt rims look more appropriate with the smaller tyre than I figured it would.

Back
Top Bottom