Upgrading of road 1129 Chiangkhong to Chiangsaen

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
After having finished upgrading road 1129 from the Chiang Saen side they are now also working on the remainder of the road to Chiangkhong. Coming from Chiangsaen, the road has now been upgraded up to Kiow Kan (Khiu Kan). From there they are working on the part from Kiow Kan to the junction of road 1129 with road 4007 (the road along the Mekong) - this is still partly unpaved. From that junction to Chiangkhong the road is ready except for some minor things with the drains along the road.

Some pictures of the part from Chiangkhong to the junction of Rd. 1129/4007

DSCN1308.jpg

DSCN1309.jpg

DSCN1310.jpg

Still working on the road from the junction of Rd. 1129/4007 till Khio Kan

DSCN1312.jpg

They have been working on this for some time, i guess the contractor is in no great hurry, there is also a new road being built on the 1152 next to Santiburi Golf Club in Chiang Rai which i understand will be heading for Chiang Khong which is moving along quickly.

They have been working on this for some time, i guess the contractor is in no great hurry, there is also a new road being built on the 1152 next to Santiburi Golf Club in Chiang Rai which i understand will be heading for Chiang Khong which is moving along quickly.

Yes, you are right, they have been working on it for quite some time on the 1129 - however, it looked like they were now a bit in a hurry - probably want to finish the road bed before the rainy season starts.

I haven't seen the roadworks along the 1152 (I will have a look once I am again in that area). I did go along the new road which will link the new 4 lane road (Rd. 5023 ?) running along the Chiangrai airport to the north and then crosses rd. 1209 and at Ban Tha khao links up with the new 4 lane road 1063 (very little traffic on that road) and with Rd. 1129 a bit west of Chiangsaen. Time permitting I will put up a map showing these new roads and a few pictures of it.

This new road along the 1152 is said to connect to the 1020 near the Doi Phaya Phitak exit (4018?).

Have been a bit distracted lately and haven't been able to have to look at the new road along Rd. 1152 - so just a few satellite picture screenshots of the western and the eastern part. It looks like that still a lot of work needs to be done - in particular linking the western and the eastern part of the road - as well as some bits and pieces of the road

New road along 1152 west.jpg
The western part of the road branching of from Rd. 1152 just south of Ban Wiang Chai (Si Wiang)

New road along 1152 east.jpg
The eastern part of the road from Rd. 1174 to the east where it connects with Rd. 1020 just north of the Doi Phaya Phitak road

Thanks Auke, very interesting.
Just passed the 1152 junction near Sri Wiang as you can see they are making swift progress.

8e05dad0632bc0b27f33fbc1430db942.jpg
a0ef16fad30ee3be5af4e4d88a8c5c33.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Still working on the road from the junction of Rd. 1129/4007 till Khio Kan (picture taken 29 March 2018)

View attachment 60705

OK, although they are still working on stabilizing the sides of the road as well as all kinds of other thingies like drains along the road, safety barriers, painting lines, etc. road 1129 is now completely paved from Chiangkhong all the way to Chiangsaen - check it out as the road is now almost like race track quality and a joy to ride.

Picture taken from the crest in the road in Khio Khan

Naka Kiosken Coffee hanging on for dear life on the edge of the road

The new road running from the 1020 to the 1152 near Santiburi golf seems to be seen progressing well and from the 1020 and 1152 at several areas construction is clearly visible.

About 10,5 km from the 1020/1152 intersection at Ban Ta, driving towards Chiang Khong, the 1020 connects to this new road to the left.
1020_0.jpg

Driving from Chiang Khong that new intersection from the 1020 is about 500 meters before the exit to Doi Phaya Phitak, the 4018.
1020_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom