Ultimate 5 Day Camping Road Trip Of NT

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
First of all, i would like to apologize for the poor pictures, turns out my camera was between settings half the time :cry:

Day 1 & 2

Early as always waiting for the guy's on the Hwy 1 - 120 junction.

1.jpg

Including my stint from home, today's ride would be 300 km trying to put as many curves in the route as i could lay out.

1a.png

Soon the rest of the gang appeared and we chilled of some refreshing coffee contemplating the trip.

2.jpg

Picking our way through the small villages a couple of landmarks u had not seen before

3.jpg

4.jpg

Before making the turn for the big dipper a noddle stopover was in order.

5.jpg

The famous archway marking the start of the 4018.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Reaching the viewpoint Justin admiring the awesome views.

8.jpg

9.jpg

A beautiful clear crisp day.

10.jpg

This viewpoint has never opened and what was to be camping areas have never been turfed a great pity it would be a great overnight spot.

11.jpg

Steve looking for chicken strips.

12.jpg

Enough hanging around time for some fun.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Through the Hmong village.

16.jpg

17.jpg

The 4018 is on the right day one of the best roads in the area, it was supposedly constructed to allow the army to bring in heavy military equipment during the communist troubles.

18.jpg

19.jpg

Some great curves, just a pity its so short.

20.jpg

21.jpg

Over the hill's and far away.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Quick gas stop at the new PTT in Wiang Kaen to hydrate and watch the wildlife.

24.jpg

Short potholed ride to the camp area and a few refreshing beers to mark our arrival.

25.jpg

Passenger ferry moring up for the night.

26.jpg

27.jpg

The upper area is nice and flat with showers and toilets nearby if you don't want to camp by the river.

28.jpg

The lower terrace is nice and flat and plenty of room for four or five tents.

29.jpg

Lot's of concrete shelters if you want to swing a hammock.

30.jpg

Justin's new one-man lightweight tent looks very snug.

31.jpg

Jim's Decathlon 3 man tent is simple and easy to pitch.

32.jpg

First time out for my Naturehike Cloud Up 3 man tent, pretty impressed for the money.

33.jpg

34.jpg

Back to the restaurant and time to crack open the JD Fire.

35.jpg

36.jpg

No trip would be complete without some drama, Justin had mislaid his insulin someplace and it was going to be a rocky night for him. Thanks to Marcel and his efforts to locate a supply locally.

37.jpg

Justin with his blood sugar all screwed up, out came the silly hat.

38.jpg

Kitchen in the restaurant a small slice of Laos in Thailand.

39.jpg

Pretty large Mantis, sadly we are all too drunk to grab a decent picture.

40.jpg

After a great night ( well for most of us) and well fed at the restaurant, the first job was to get Justin back on track so a detour was in order to grab some insulin.

Todays 350 km route.

40a.png

A misty start as we packed our gear.

41.jpg

42.jpg

Fortunately, the local hospital in Wiang Chai had suitable insulin for Justin and a hefty bill of 250 baht we got underway.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

Lot's of resurfacing work underway at the moment as we enter the dry season, hopefully, the work will last longer than a year but i doubt it.

46.jpg

Heading along the 1148 and turning onto the fantastic 1097 than making the turn north to the Laos border and our camp spot.

The 101 north is under heavy construction and a real mess as they widen the road to the border..

47.jpg

The muddy roadworks

48.jpg

We all made it to the campsite, although the, as i recall nice short dirt trail to site, was not so nice as i remembered and we all heaved a sign of relief to reach level ground.

49.jpg

Not surprisingly the who park area was empty even the power was off.

50.jpg

The camp spot and its grass spurs that would annoy the hell out of us all night.

51.jpg

Great views.

52.jpg

53.jpg

Quckly pitched up and ready for the evening

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

The restaurant area was pretty basic but the beers and the conversation flowed, but our minds all wandering to the ride out in the morning and what drama would unfold with our fully laden bikes.

59.jpg

60.jpg

A friend came to visit for the night.

62.jpg

Treated to a fantastic sunset as we all had a restless night and prayed it wouldn't rain otherwise we would be going nowhere in the morning.

63.jpg

To be continued...........

Last edited:
Day 3 & 4

Well, a restless night was had by all, it was not as cool as we had expected with the elevation at over 600 metres but the forest noises keep me awake most of the night mixed in with the odd gunshot from locals hunting.

Full of trepidation we all quietly decamped, all thoughts to the final climb at the end of the 3km dirt trail back to the village.

Today's route 240 km of curved loveliness lay ahead o_O

63a.png

One thing in our favour was no rain and we awoke to clear sunny skies.

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

The park is pretty small but reasonably well kept, although the toilets had their own eco system.

68.jpg

Seating eating area

69.jpg

70.jpg

The head of the trail which is paved of sorts, which actually made it harder as this was the steepest part and potholes disguised by leaves waiting to capture a victim.

71.jpg

Trying to grab a few shots whilst riding along was a pretty hazardous affair so they are pretty limited but you get the idea.

72.jpg

73.jpg

A few muddy sections made the road tyres useless as i got bogged down the previous day.

74.jpg

Jim taking an alternative line.

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

As usual, the pictures don't capture how steep it was over the short distance, suffice to say we all puckered up :ROFLMAO:

78.jpg

Ruts steep descents and a 250 kg bathtub don't mix as my bike decided on a lay down for a while.

79.jpg

We all reached the end of the trail with not too much drama and the final climb ahead.

80.jpg

81.jpg

This was a bail out option instead of the climb, Jim checked it out and could bearly stand on the green slippy moss so that was a no go.

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

We had talked about ditching the panniers for fear of the front ends coming up, but we decided we had talked enough and time for action and bugger it.

85.jpg

86.jpg

Justin on the lightest bike was first to go, with grip it and rip it style.

87.jpg

Not sure why the bloody monk came for a nosey he was right on the chosen line.

88.jpg

Jim was last top go and was filling his pants, turned out his aggressive attack on the Ducati did the trick and made it cleanly.

89.jpg

Almost gives you an idea of the slope it only raised up 45 metres from the bottom to the pavement but over 80 metres or so it was steep enough.

90.jpg

We all made it safe and sound, the previous day the school director in the village had invited us for coffee in the school so we stopped for a layup.

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

The village drunk begging for whiskey money.

94.jpg

95.jpg

Turns out the school has 51 pupils and 6 teachers and one director, not a bad classroom average, the director left in the pictures spoke very good English and was happy to chat. We all agreed if we decide to come back again we would camp in the school playing field and mix with the locals and avoid the dirt trails saga again.

96.jpg

Since we are so close tot he Laos border we rode up to check how far we could go.

97.jpg

98.jpg

99.jpg

Pretty well paved seeing how it must get almost no traffic, the road continued to the border and we spotted a pretty rutted dirt tail that would take us back tot he main road, but enough dirt for today so U turn was in order.

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

Doubt this bridge would hold up for another rainy season.

103.jpg

104.jpg

Safely back to the 101 and those bloody roadworks.

105.jpg

106.jpg

We stopped by to see Marco at the Siam Garden GH for a coffee, sadly Marco has been under the weather and had no food or coffee but he did recommend the La Cusine restaurant in Pua.

107.jpg

108.jpg

Turned out to be an amazingly good place, btter still it had a user friendly toilet !!!

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

After the slog down the 101 to gas up it was on to the fun stuff and the beginning of the 4015 then the glorious 1081- 1256.

114.jpg

115.jpg

The viewpoint on the 1256 was for once mist free so we could enjoy the stunning views at the higest point of 1715 metres or so it said.

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

A nice level camp spot is also on offer with toilets and showers, would make a good overnight point for a later ride.

119.jpg

120.jpg

Now this is a corner !!!!

121.jpg

From Bo Klua its the 1081, which is undergoing a lot of resurfacing works but its still an incredible ride.

122.jpg

123.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

Coffee time at the Atlasnan Coffee shop, a real gem of a place made even better by the exuberant young girl serving.

N18.97674° E100.96695°

128.jpg

Well, it had been quite a day, not in terms of distance but i think we ticked all the boxes today. A check in at the Rapeepong Hotel at only 560 baht including breakfast was very good value (although we did pass on the breakfast).

N18.79151° E100.77943°

129.jpg

Nice clean rooms and comfy bed a real find.

130.jpg

A short away was th Crossroads serving cold beer and bangers and mash i'm in heaven.

131.jpg

With Johnny now in tow it was time for a hearty breakfast with 350 km of paved roads ahead it was to be a good day.

131a.png

Crossroads breakfast yummy

132.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

Heading to Na Noi and the fantastic views

135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

The 101 to the 103 is still in a shit state after years of work, you have to wonder if they will ever finish it.

138.jpg

The last section before the 1148 is the 1188, not ridden by many is a fun but narrow road.

139.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg

Some lovely views and corners and traffic free.

142.jpg

143.jpg

Passing by the farang unfriendly Magic Mountain Coffee we soon reached the campsite and after a bit of pricing confusion we headed to the camp ground .

144.jpg

One of the rangers kindly grabbed some fire wood and set up a fire.

146.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

After a small tip, he returned later with more firewood in exchange for some pictures with the farang people.

149.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

All pitched up for the evening, it had indeed been a great day and some of the best riding you could find..

152.jpg

Last edited:
You seem to be well into the camping thing Bob

At this time of year it can be very enjoyable, especially as in this case you are travelling with a bunch of like minded guy's

Day 5

After several visits from the rangers and another this morning complete with video footage, it was time to pack and get the hell out.

Short ride back for me taking in the later stages of the 1148.

153a.png

Have to say the Naturehike Cloud Up 3 worked out very well, no condensation and easy to pack.

154.jpg

The clearing up process, nice camp spot and no issues with fires.

155.jpg

156.jpg

The whole area is surrounded with some fantastic karst ranges.

157.jpg

Impressive skyline.

158.jpg

159.jpg

We had all been eager to get to the camp last night we had all been on vapours, time for a splash and dash.

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

Still plenty of curves left to enjoy the ride home.

163.jpg

164.jpg

Well that was it another great trip with a great bunch of guy's. I will post GPX files of the routes and waypoints soon, only 1400 km in total but what fun.

Screenshot 2018-11-13 16.12.35.png

Last edited:

Attachments

• 2018-11-05 08:21:53 Auto.GPX
    773.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 2018-11-06 08:05:45 Auto.GPX
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
  • 2018-11-07 07:21:35 Auto.GPX
    1.2 MB · Views: 203
  • 2018-11-08 07:20:29 Auto 001.GPX
    1.3 MB · Views: 204
  • Current Track: 09 NOV 2018 12:25 001.GPX
    567.6 KB · Views: 198
  • waypoints.GPX
    20.2 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
This trip was a perfect combination of twisty scenic roads with no boring long stretches...……...….well maybe Jim had a few riding up from Pattaya. I met Steve in Mae Krachan off the 118 and 120. kickstands up quickly and got to enjoy the 120 fast flowing curves out and down into Phayao. We were lucky as the 120 this time didn't even have any damp spots under the tree's in the corner as it often does. Must have been a warm evening the night before.

Got to catch up with Jim in Phayao. I don't get to ride with him as much as I used to since his relocation down south. Great to have him back for some corner carving and camping.

The first night drew a concern as I wanted to inject my evening insulin, I use two types of insulin. I brought two bottles of each type of insulin on the trip for backup. My stupid eyes didn't catch that one bottle of Regular type insulin was empty and when I injected during the day at lunch the bottle must have gotten dropped somewhere during lunch and didn't make it back into my insulin pouch. A very special thank you to Marcel (Brake034) and his wife as well as David and Mai Bailey at Baan Sakuna Resort for calling their local hospitals to see if they stocked the required insulin. Since Thailand doesn't have a large incidence of Type 1 diabetics like myself, they usually don't carry the insulin type I need. Sure enough neither of the smaller hospitals in their area had them. Marcel doesn't know me at all except via this forum. A call was placed for his assistance in contacting the hospital in his area and between himself and his wife they were hot on the trail. A huge Thank you to both couples in their attempts to ascertain whether the hospitals carried the insulin. Marcels wife even contacted our lunch spot where I was guessing the insulin was lost to have them check around in the dark for the long lost bottle. Since no insulin was located at the closer hospitals it was back to Chiang Rai for a pop into the Government hospital just outside of town. A huge tip of the hat to Bob for knowing about this hospital as we didn't have to enter the main city of Chiang Rai and could get back on the road quicker.

I owed the boys quite a few beers for throwing that wrench into the road trip. A huge thank you guys. This is where riding with like minded and people you know counts.

The rest of the trip was a glorious dish of twisty turns, laughs, tall stories, snoring, drinking, late apex's, and fun times. Bob found a wonderful camp spot for that first night right on the river, actually the second night was great as well with a nice viewpoint.. We had the places to ourselves which makes it that much more special. A great excuse to get to test new equipment and wear out tires. Looking forward to the next one after a few dirt bike trips get completed.

Here is a short video posted by Steve, thanks for putting it together mate.

Back
Top Bottom