U.K. To Thailand

JJ.CM

Bikes
xt600e
Hi all, perhaps I should start by introducing myself. I lived in Chiang Mai some 10 years ago. Now back in U.K. and reaching an unmentionable age. Having previously ridden from U.K. to Vladivostok in Russia, which was as far east as I could ride. I decided on one last adventure ( that's what I told my wife). I would ride from U.K. to Chiang Mai in Thailand the home town of my wife. As things turned out I had to work in Northern Italy and with the timing it meant putting the bike in the truck and leaving immediately after the working. I left northern Italy on May 27th. My route is Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Laos and finally Thailand.I am Jimmy Jones from Birmingham England my face book page the trip is finally happening. My bike is a Yamaha xt600 1997

Welcome to RideAsia Jimmy & I look forward to reading more about your trip.

Ally

Jimmy how did you get on with renewing the temp import paper at CK ?

Hi, I went to the old customs office in the town centre paid my 2000 Baht fine and renewed my temporary import. I have sold the bike so both myself and Scott the guy who bought the bike went to the bridge and saw the new boss of customs, explained what we were trying to do ie. wanted to transfer ownership of the bike and remove me from the customs papers. He advised us to draw up a statement 2 fcopies sign it and passport copies signed and bike papers signed. Scott has since crossed in Laos so all good.

There is a nice little business for someone with a nice low large flat trailer to take bikes across the bridge, the ferry alternative seems long winded and cumbersome.

Thanks Jimmy,

will add to trip report as tinme allows, thanks to all the friendly faces at the meeting both locals and travelers. Had an email from Danish Kurt on the Moto Guzzi his riding companions crashed and broke a collar bone (Phil) and the other guy has done damage to his leg, pretty bad by the sounds of it, this was riding out to Udon.

Hi All, I had to be in Naryn Kyrgyzstan before the 18th of June. This gave me 21 days from Italy to Naryn. I had planned my route and booked hotels for the first 6 nights. I left Milan on Monday morning and reached the capital of Slovenia Ljubljana ( Loob lyah na). Next day Budapest, then Hungarian border, then Lviv in Ukraine the Kiev and then into Russia and overnight at Khursk. The Russian border I new could be trouble. I exited the Ukraine at a small international border and then began paperwork to enter Russia, having completed immigration I then rode to the customs post where the Lady in charge had a very simple message that I understood quite easily " Niet". After an hour and a half of form filling she denied me entry no bikes could enter here. About turn exit Russian immigration and re enter Ukraine ride 100km to the next border point and begin the whole process again...5 hours after I started I finally entered Russia.

Good to hear the transfer of sale went smoothly Jim, despite other forums bad vibes ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

"Hi, I went to the old customs office in the town centre paid my 2000 Baht fine and renewed my temporary import. I have sold the bike so both myself and Scott the guy who bought the bike went to the bridge and saw the new boss of customs, explained what we were trying to do ie. wanted to transfer ownership of the bike and remove me from the customs papers. He advised us to draw up a statement 2 fcopies sign it and passport copies signed and bike papers signed. Scott has since crossed in Laos so all good. "

Well isn't that interesting news! Means that if you have a foreign registered bike, it can be onsold in Thailand and Jim has just proved that the Thai border Customs Office (that I presume in Chiang Khong) has allowed a change of ownership on the Temporary Import Certificate. The only other grey area would be the bike Registration/Owner overseas certificate but there are ways to deal with that.

Thanks to Jim for testing the procedure.

Gary

Russia - Kursk

I entered Russia at the border near the City of Kursk. Some will know it as the name of the submarine which sank with all onboard loosing their lives. Older readers may know it as the site of the major tank battle of the second world war.

Must have been a day off no panniers.

Russia to Kazakhstan

I only spent four days in Russia ( I had ridden from west to East through Russia in 2005) I was looking forward to entering Kazakhstan, a place I knew little about. I crossed from Russian into Kazakhstan near the Kazak city of Oral. The border post was very quiet and very little traffic, the paper work was processed without a problem and I rode off. The roads in Russia were bad but the border road into Kazakhstan was much worse, welcome to Kazakhstan!

Hi Jimmy , I am currently in Thailand . Been here for three years . Spent the first year and a half circumnavigating Thailand and Laos with my Thai girlfriend covering over 40.000kms loved it . Myself and a couple of pals are well over a hundred years old lol , and are planning the big adventure ride UK to Thailand leaving UK October 2015 . So it would be great if we could share any info etc , route in particular and are you using maps or is there a GPS with all countries in ? I. Have ridden down as far as Croatia before and Poland and off road in 4x4 Russia . Always fancied the ride to Asia but to be honest slightly cautious as to safest route . When are you leaving Uk . I will look on Facebook for you my Facebook is Gary Sharpe.

Uk to Thailand

Hi to all . Not very good with computers lol . A group of three of us plan to ride from uk to Thailand next year leaving uk October 2O15. Any help advice tips would be very much appreciated . We would like to enter Myanmar from Northern India and enter Thailand via Kanchanaburi if that's possible . Seems the obvious route avoiding China which I am told is very expensive to travel across. Bikes we propose are BMW 650GS secondhand about 3k . All three have ridden in Asia for last three years and a lot in Europe . It's the bit in between we haven't done lol .

Any help tips welcome

thanks in advance

Gary

Hi Gary. . Its Gary Sharpe , I am planning to ride from Uk to Thailand October 2015. So I am on here looking for any info re route , customs etc. .

best regards

Gary.

Back
Top Bottom